A Degree in Satanism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Satan" to me is more of a general term to represent the evil in this world, not necessarily a personified entity

Considering the way things are in the world, I guess Satan is very busy

To me the image of the devil as a little red man is a silly, midieval thing. Satan however seems to be the absence of good. Basically I agree with what Mrs. Springsteen said.

Hey! I kinda like the little red devil! Well, at least this one...(it's on my wall, right next to one titled "The Transmigration of Jesus Christ -- gotta have contrast, you know!).

the%20luck%20of%20the%20devil.jpg

beli said:
Why are they an enemy of Christianity ? Satan is a Christian concept. Athiests dont believe in Satan, only Christians do.

To quote Keiser Soze ( and whoever he quoted in the film)...

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exisits."

Satanism is a counter culture. I do think it's accepted a bit too much, otherwise I don't see how Marilyn Manson can sell millions and millions of records. Their ideal is that good is evil, and evil is good. It's the direct flipside of Christianity, but it's obviously reworded for appeal.

""You cannot love everyone; it is ridiculous to think you can. If you love everyone and everything you lose your natural powers of selection and wind up being a pretty poor judge of character and quality. If anything is used too freely it loses its true meaning. Therefore, the Satanist believes you should love strongly and completely those who deserve your love, but never turn the other cheek to your enemy!" - Anton LaVey, author of The Satanic Bible

"Satan...represents love, kindness and respect to those who deserve it." - Another fine quote by Anton LaVey, author of The Satanic Bible

Here are the "9 Satanic Sins": Stupidity, pretentiousness, solipsism, self-deceit, herd conformity, lack of perspective, forgetfulness of past orthodoxies, counterproductive pride, and lack of aesthetics.

Magic rituals consist of three types:

Lust ritual: sex magic which includes masturbation.

Compassion ritual: for healing or happiness.

Destruction ritual: (may include sticking pins in a doll; drawing a picture or writing a description of the victim's death; delivering a soliloquy, etc.). Destruction rituals are best performed by a group. If a person targeted by a destruction ritual is not deserving of it, the ritual will not harm them.

Odd.

Satanism is the opposite of Christianity in that there's no sense of mercy or compassion. As Christians, we believe that though we are sinners and undeserving of God's mercy, Jesus's sacrifice has made anyone who honestly seeks that mercy worthy of it.

None of that in Satanism.

Creepy and sad.

This question has me scratching my head... since we teach the basic elements of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, (sorry if I left out whatever you practice)... should we teach the basic elements of Satanism in schools?

By the way, I think that pastors, priests, and other church leaders should learn about Satanism, so they can compare it to how the world operates. For example, 666 is a symbol of falling short of the number 7 multiple times.

Last edited:
in my opinion people, goths, whatever you want to call them who choose satanism only choose it to rebel against society. very few actually practice or believe it. but that's my opinion. :shrug:

Has anyone read William Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell? It is anti organized Christianity, but pro faith and even seems to take Satan's side. Can't remember it very well though I did write a paper on it in college for a Bible class.

I recall we've had a girl here at FYM once (can't remember her name unfortunately) who was a Satanist and did an excellent job explaining what it was all about. I can't remember what it was exactly but it had little or nothing do to with 'evil'.

Macfistowannabe said:
That's because they simply believe that good is evil and evil is good.

Believe it or not, life is a little more complicated than the old Good vs. Evil debate.

DrTeeth said:

Believe it or not, life is a little more complicated than the old Good vs. Evil debate.
I agree, but I - and many others - see Satanism as a direct mockery of Christianity. Is it better to love both your friends and your enemies, or is it better just to love those who you favor?

Macfistowannabe said:
I agree, but I - and many others - see Satanism as a direct mockery of Christianity.

I understand, but keep in mind, there are different kinds of Satanism some of which have nothing to do with Christianity. Besides, there are different degrees of 'mocking' Christianity, I can't see that as 'evil' anymore than I can see Christianity as 'good'.

It is very complicated to define what in our world is good, and what in our world is evil. We all have a vague concept of it - killing is wrong (but... what about all those exceptions?), stealing is wrong, lying is wrong (but who does it hurt?). Perhaps that's why we debate so much on FYM and elsewhere, we have a different set of beliefs and convictions. Sometimes we make absolutions that have no facts to support them. We probably see some things as evil - when they may actually be good. It's a very complicated world we live in, and a lot of weight is to be determined by the individual.

Last edited:
bsp77 said:
Has anyone read William Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell? It is anti organized Christianity, but pro faith and even seems to take Satan's side. Can't remember it very well though I did write a paper on it in college for a Bible class.

That reminds me of my class on Milton...it's argued that Satan is actually the tragic hero of "Paradise Lost." :wink:

Macfistowannabe said:
I agree, but I - and many others - see Satanism as a direct mockery of Christianity. Is it better to love both your friends and your enemies, or is it better just to love those who you favor?

The distinctions are there, but I don't see the evil.

The problem is I think most satanist see Christianity and see hypocricy. I admit my exposure is small, but from the few I've met and spoke to they all started and were brought up in Christian homes.

They preach love your enemy yet they support death penalties, they support pre-emptive wars, they practice exclusion, etc. I honestly think it's the church's fault. I can totally see where they are coming from.

U2democrat said:
in my opinion people, goths, whatever you want to call them who choose satanism only choose it to rebel against society. very few actually practice or believe it. but that's my opinion. :shrug:

Want to know something peculiar? Most of the goths I know are Christians. :confused:

AvsGirl41 said:

That reminds me of my class on Milton...it's argued that Satan is actually the tragic hero of "Paradise Lost." :wink:

Well, he is by far the most interesting character

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The distinctions are there, but I don't see the evil.

The problem is I think most satanist see Christianity and see hypocricy. I admit my exposure is small, but from the few I've met and spoke to they all started and were brought up in Christian homes.

They preach love your enemy yet they support death penalties, they support pre-emptive wars, they practice exclusion, etc. I honestly think it's the church's fault. I can totally see where they are coming from.
This is interesting, I see a lot of evil though. Working (and leaving my two-week notice asap) at a fast food restaurant, I hear a lot of throwaway - so to speak. A lot of talk about making the US the first successful pure communist nation, red armies, that kind of crap. Also a lot of "kill God" talk is out there. I don't think you have to look any further than the news if you want to see evil, it clues you in to how disgusting people can be.

I bet a lot of people see Christianity is hypocracy, because there's not one person on the planet who is a good enough example of a Christian. There could be an argument for your political stances brought up, but I'd rather not lose sight of topic.

Back
Top Bottom