"A Cute Girl Knocks On The Door, What Do You Do?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
There really is such a culture of respect for women amongst some of these college coaches and such non-sexist attitudes :up: they sure do know how to dismiss and make light of allegations of sexual assault too. How enlightened of them..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/01/08/bc.fbc.paternocontrover.ap/index.html

The coach's remarks came a day before the Orange Bowl, when a reporter asked a question related to Florida State linebacker A.J. Nicholson. Nicholson was accused of sexual assault and sent home before Tuesday's game.

Paterno replied by talking about past suspensions of Penn State players, according to an official transcript from the Orange Bowl.

He then added: "There's some tough -- there's so many people gravitating to these kids. He may not have even known what he was getting into, Nicholson. They knock on the door; somebody may knock on the door; a cute girl knocks on the door. What do you do?"

"Geez. I hope -- thank God they don't knock on my door because I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms," Paterno continued. "But that's too bad. You hate to see that. I really do. You like to see a kid end up his football career. He's a heck of a football player, by the way; he's a really good football player. And it's just too bad."

But he didn't mean it the way it sounds of course..

i am against all assaults, but

No charges have been filed against Nicholson, although police in Florida said the matter remains open.

there is not enough in this article to get me outraged

there may be more to come

Last edited:
I just meant that they never mean it the way it sounds, that's what they always say

He's just an "old man" and all that..

I'm disgusted, the most disgusting thing of all is that plenty of people still have those attitudes

I am unfamiliar with the specifics of Nicholson's case.

As for Paterno's comments, I am sure most will recognize that there are "groupies" that follow the men's teams. Whether it is the exit tunnel at the stadium or the team's hotel lobby - there are some women who go knocking on doors.

Does that justify an ounce of wrongdoing by Nicholson? No.

I'm not sure Paterno was suggesting he get a free pass - though it could sound that way.

MrsSpringsteen said:

He's just an "old man" and all that..

I'm disgusted, the most disgusting thing of all is that plenty of people still have those attitudes

sad

but it is a generational thing

i hear a lot of bizarre remarks

by people from older generations

that are sexists, racists and homophobic

when I hear it from someone under 50

i don't let them slide anymore

I give them a follow up question in the same direction
that is overtly offensive
they can either continue with their beliefs
or back away.

Last edited:
Didn't you know Joe Pa could do no wrong in Penn State land?

It wasn't his player. He should have just had a no comment as no charges had been filed. There may be a little truth in what he says. I've seen groupies at work and seen some unwarranted accusations. So I'm not naive about this. But he left out the other side of the coin which in big time college football (and probably tiny time football), the player is considered the victim and the girl a slut until proven otherwise and as long as he is producing, he is protected at all costs.

What can a guy do? Knowing he may be a potential target, he closes the door. That being said, I don't know what happened yet and neither did Paterno. I wouldn't be villifying or defending anybody at this point.

nbcrusader said:

As for Paterno's comments, I am sure most will recognize that there are "groupies" that follow the men's teams. Whether it is the exit tunnel at the stadium or the team's hotel lobby - there are some women who go knocking on doors.

I know that there are, but to make a comment like that involving accusations of sexual assault is completely inappropriate and ignorant in my opinion. The more people like him talk, the more certain attitudes are revealed. It's one reason you have professional athletes who rape women-their behavior is ignored and reinforced in college and it continues, and they are protected in college. I'm not automatically assuming this player is guilty, but I think condemning Paterno's remarks is justified. I was just being sarcastic about the old man thing, that is no excuse.

Every other car in my area has a Penn State lion's paw somewhere in view so this isn't a topic I'd even bring up at home.:reject: Glad to see it being discussed.

What is it about sportsmen and sex? Do they take it just because they can? I know there are vindictive girlies out there who may throw themselves at guys then, finding themselves to be 'one-nighters' only, start crying 'rape', but there still seem to be a lot of elite athletes across a range of sports who are little more than sexual predators.

Most teams seem to have some sort of Code of Conduct, at least on paper. But their true attitudes are all too often very clear. There seems to be an air of 'the rules say that . . . but we don't worry about the rules' in too many cases.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I am having a wee bit of trouble actually making sense today.

Otokonoko said:
What is it about sportsmen and sex? Do they take it just because they can? I know there are vindictive girlies out there who may throw themselves at guys then, finding themselves to be 'one-nighters' only, start crying 'rape', but there still seem to be a lot of elite athletes across a range of sports who are little more than sexual predators.

Most teams seem to have some sort of Code of Conduct, at least on paper. But their true attitudes are all too often very clear. There seems to be an air of 'the rules say that . . . but we don't worry about the rules' in too many cases.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I am having a wee bit of trouble actually making sense today.

Makes perfect sense to me.

HE should just retire.

This is NOT the first time he has made comments like this. But like BonosSaint said...in the general area of Penn State, Joe Pa can do no wrong as long as the football team is winning.

randhail said:
I like how NOW is calling for Joe Pa to resign. :rolleyes: Don't they have more pressing matters to deal with?

Right because a man with a very public sexist attitude being a role model for men on campus, shouldn't phase them at all...:|

This thread is a perfect example of why I've abstained from caring about any professional sports for over 10 years and have never given it a second thought.

zoney! said:
Even worse...this is college sports...he represents a state university!

ugh! I have zero tolerance for behavior like that. I know it could be much worse, but that's simply unacceptable.

No more sports for me, I guess.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Right because a man with a very public sexist attitude being a role model for men on campus, shouldn't phase them at all...:|

Because you've never said anything that you regretted? The guy made a bonehead comment. I hardly think 40 years should be thrown away because of that, especially given what he has done for the university.

People say things they regret all the time, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss it.

This man is a coach at a college which I've always thought had a great reputation. The fact is that if men haven't learned that certain attitudes and statements are inappropriate, sexist, and ignorant by the time they get to college, they damn well better learn it in college. And Paterno is not setting a good example-isn't that part of a coach's job, to lead by example?

There is a consistent pattern in college athletics to cover up this stuff, or to blame women, and to be guided by a sexist mindset. I for one think it should stop. Some athletes are coddled to the point that they believe rape is OK, that is a fact.

Sounds like it's not just one incident either-from the SI article

Tosti-Vasey said Paterno's comments are the latest in a series of insensitive actions by the university's athletic department. The Pennsylvania NOW branch flayed Paterno, Curley and Spanier in 2003 after a football player accused of sexual assault was allowed to play in a bowl game."

Last edited:
randhail said:

Because you've never said anything that you regretted? The guy made a bonehead comment. I hardly think 40 years should be thrown away because of that, especially given what he has done for the university.

I don't think he does regret it, because I don't think he realizes why it's wrong.

First of all, like what's been said before, this IS NOT his first "bonehead" comment like this.

Secondly, I'm not saying I agree that he should retire, but for you to dismiss NOW completely by saying "don't they have more pressing matters" is being ignorant of the situation. A lot of times "calling for a retirement" brings on a compromise of a public apology, sensitivity class, etc...

Penn State has that lesbian-bating coach, Rene Portland, too.

Last month [December 2005], a former Penn State women's basketball star filed a federal lawsuit against Portland, charging her with violating numerous federal and state laws and the Constitution.

Also named in the suit were Athletic Director Tim Curley, and Penn State University.

Jennifer Harris, a 6 foot guard who played on Penn State's Lady Lions basketball team from 2003 to 2005 alleges that Portland repeatedly questioned her about her sexual orientation, repeatedly threatened to kick Harris off the team if she found out Harris was a lesbian, and eventually told other players not to associate with Harris because she believed that Harris was gay.

In 2005, Coach Portland abruptly told Harris to find somewhere else to play. Harris transferred to James Madison University.

Harris, who is not gay, is represented by the National Center for Lesbian Rights.

Looks like Penn State is nothing more than a colorful cast of bigots.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom