"A Cute Girl Knocks On The Door, What Do You Do?" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:23 PM
"A Cute Girl Knocks On The Door, What Do You Do?"

There really is such a culture of respect for women amongst some of these college coaches and such non-sexist attitudes they sure do know how to dismiss and make light of allegations of sexual assault too. How enlightened of them..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

The coach's remarks came a day before the Orange Bowl, when a reporter asked a question related to Florida State linebacker A.J. Nicholson. Nicholson was accused of sexual assault and sent home before Tuesday's game.

Paterno replied by talking about past suspensions of Penn State players, according to an official transcript from the Orange Bowl.

He then added: "There's some tough -- there's so many people gravitating to these kids. He may not have even known what he was getting into, Nicholson. They knock on the door; somebody may knock on the door; a cute girl knocks on the door. What do you do?"

"Geez. I hope -- thank God they don't knock on my door because I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms," Paterno continued. "But that's too bad. You hate to see that. I really do. You like to see a kid end up his football career. He's a heck of a football player, by the way; he's a really good football player. And it's just too bad."

But he didn't mean it the way it sounds of course..

Old 01-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

no one?

Old 01-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:23 PM
i am against all assaults, but

Quote:
No charges have been filed against Nicholson, although police in Florida said the matter remains open.

there is not enough in this article to get me outraged

there may be more to come
Old 01-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:23 PM
Re: "A Cute Girl Knocks On The Door, What Do You Do?"

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

But he didn't mean it the way it sounds of course..
What did he say he meant?
I'm disgusted by his comments.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I just meant that they never mean it the way it sounds, that's what they always say

He's just an "old man" and all that..

I'm disgusted, the most disgusting thing of all is that plenty of people still have those attitudes
Old 01-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I am unfamiliar with the specifics of Nicholson's case.

As for Paterno's comments, I am sure most will recognize that there are "groupies" that follow the men's teams. Whether it is the exit tunnel at the stadium or the team's hotel lobby - there are some women who go knocking on doors.

Does that justify an ounce of wrongdoing by Nicholson? No.

I'm not sure Paterno was suggesting he get a free pass - though it could sound that way.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

He's just an "old man" and all that..

I'm disgusted, the most disgusting thing of all is that plenty of people still have those attitudes
sad

but it is a generational thing

i hear a lot of bizarre remarks

by people from older generations

that are sexists, racists and homophobic

when I hear it from someone under 50

i don't let them slide anymore

I give them a follow up question in the same direction
that is overtly offensive
they can either continue with their beliefs
or back away.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Didn't you know Joe Pa could do no wrong in Penn State land?

It wasn't his player. He should have just had a no comment as no charges had been filed. There may be a little truth in what he says. I've seen groupies at work and seen some unwarranted accusations. So I'm not naive about this. But he left out the other side of the coin which in big time college football (and probably tiny time football), the player is considered the victim and the girl a slut until proven otherwise and as long as he is producing, he is protected at all costs.

What can a guy do? Knowing he may be a potential target, he closes the door. That being said, I don't know what happened yet and neither did Paterno. I wouldn't be villifying or defending anybody at this point.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

As for Paterno's comments, I am sure most will recognize that there are "groupies" that follow the men's teams. Whether it is the exit tunnel at the stadium or the team's hotel lobby - there are some women who go knocking on doors.
I know that there are, but to make a comment like that involving accusations of sexual assault is completely inappropriate and ignorant in my opinion. The more people like him talk, the more certain attitudes are revealed. It's one reason you have professional athletes who rape women-their behavior is ignored and reinforced in college and it continues, and they are protected in college. I'm not automatically assuming this player is guilty, but I think condemning Paterno's remarks is justified. I was just being sarcastic about the old man thing, that is no excuse.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Every other car in my area has a Penn State lion's paw somewhere in view so this isn't a topic I'd even bring up at home. Glad to see it being discussed.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:05 AM   #11
The Fly

Local Time: 02:23 PM
What is it about sportsmen and sex? Do they take it just because they can? I know there are vindictive girlies out there who may throw themselves at guys then, finding themselves to be 'one-nighters' only, start crying 'rape', but there still seem to be a lot of elite athletes across a range of sports who are little more than sexual predators.

Most teams seem to have some sort of Code of Conduct, at least on paper. But their true attitudes are all too often very clear. There seems to be an air of 'the rules say that . . . but we don't worry about the rules' in too many cases.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I am having a wee bit of trouble actually making sense today.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Old 01-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Otokonoko
What is it about sportsmen and sex? Do they take it just because they can? I know there are vindictive girlies out there who may throw themselves at guys then, finding themselves to be 'one-nighters' only, start crying 'rape', but there still seem to be a lot of elite athletes across a range of sports who are little more than sexual predators.

Most teams seem to have some sort of Code of Conduct, at least on paper. But their true attitudes are all too often very clear. There seems to be an air of 'the rules say that . . . but we don't worry about the rules' in too many cases.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I am having a wee bit of trouble actually making sense today.
Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I like how NOW is calling for Joe Pa to resign. Don't they have more pressing matters to deal with?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:23 PM
HE should just retire.

This is NOT the first time he has made comments like this. But like BonosSaint said...in the general area of Penn State, Joe Pa can do no wrong as long as the football team is winning.