"A Cute Girl Knocks On The Door, What Do You Do?" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
I like how NOW is calling for Joe Pa to resign. Don't they have more pressing matters to deal with?
Right because a man with a very public sexist attitude being a role model for men on campus, shouldn't phase them at all...

Old 01-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 PM
This thread is a perfect example of why I've abstained from caring about any professional sports for over 10 years and have never given it a second thought.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:22 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Even worse...this is college sports...he represents a state university!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
Even worse...this is college sports...he represents a state university!
ugh! I have zero tolerance for behavior like that. I know it could be much worse, but that's simply unacceptable.

No more sports for me, I guess.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Right because a man with a very public sexist attitude being a role model for men on campus, shouldn't phase them at all...
Because you've never said anything that you regretted? The guy made a bonehead comment. I hardly think 40 years should be thrown away because of that, especially given what he has done for the university.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

People say things they regret all the time, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss it.

This man is a coach at a college which I've always thought had a great reputation. The fact is that if men haven't learned that certain attitudes and statements are inappropriate, sexist, and ignorant by the time they get to college, they damn well better learn it in college. And Paterno is not setting a good example-isn't that part of a coach's job, to lead by example?

There is a consistent pattern in college athletics to cover up this stuff, or to blame women, and to be guided by a sexist mindset. I for one think it should stop. Some athletes are coddled to the point that they believe rape is OK, that is a fact.

Sounds like it's not just one incident either-from the SI article

Tosti-Vasey said Paterno's comments are the latest in a series of insensitive actions by the university's athletic department. The Pennsylvania NOW branch flayed Paterno, Curley and Spanier in 2003 after a football player accused of sexual assault was allowed to play in a bowl game."
Old 01-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

Because you've never said anything that you regretted? The guy made a bonehead comment. I hardly think 40 years should be thrown away because of that, especially given what he has done for the university.
I don't think he does regret it, because I don't think he realizes why it's wrong.

First of all, like what's been said before, this IS NOT his first "bonehead" comment like this.

Secondly, I'm not saying I agree that he should retire, but for you to dismiss NOW completely by saying "don't they have more pressing matters" is being ignorant of the situation. A lot of times "calling for a retirement" brings on a compromise of a public apology, sensitivity class, etc...
Old 01-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Penn State has that lesbian-bating coach, Rene Portland, too.

Quote:
Last month [December 2005], a former Penn State women's basketball star filed a federal lawsuit against Portland, charging her with violating numerous federal and state laws and the Constitution.

Also named in the suit were Athletic Director Tim Curley, and Penn State University.

Jennifer Harris, a 6 foot guard who played on Penn State's Lady Lions basketball team from 2003 to 2005 alleges that Portland repeatedly questioned her about her sexual orientation, repeatedly threatened to kick Harris off the team if she found out Harris was a lesbian, and eventually told other players not to associate with Harris because she believed that Harris was gay.

In 2005, Coach Portland abruptly told Harris to find somewhere else to play. Harris transferred to James Madison University.

Harris, who is not gay, is represented by the National Center for Lesbian Rights.
Looks like Penn State is nothing more than a colorful cast of bigots.

Melon
Old 01-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

disgusting