A critical view on Bono's Drop th Debt Campaign

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
A critical view on Bono's Drop the Debt Campaign

What are your thoughts on this article? The more questions, comments, and cries of outrage, the better...

http://www.nationalpost.com/search/story.asp?id=7FECA467-5ED5-4EC4-9191-A8567B2E91FA

Robin O'Hood lives tax free

Peter Foster
Financial Post

Friday, November 14, 2003
locate.asp

Bono

I have no wish to make an argumentum ad Eminem against Bono, who is due to speak on Third World development at this evening's coronation of Paul Martin. There is no reason why the lead singer of Irish rock group U2 should not, at least in theory, present viable ideas on the topic. We should have no more a priori skepticism about his analysis than about the expectation that, say, Milton Friedman might be a dab hand with a Stratocaster. If anybody were to attack Bono, it should be on the basis of his ideas. So here goes. But first a few personal details.

Bono reportedly has a fortune of well over $100-million and lives largely tax-free. The "pesky Irish rockster," as he dubs himself, has in recent years become a "tireless crusader" for the relief both of Third World debt and AIDS, primarily in Africa.

Everybody, it seems, wants to rub shoulders with such a famous "social activist," that is, a person who seeks to indulge his personal charitable priorities with other people's money. Political leaders from George Bush to Tony Blair -- not to mention Messrs. Chr?tien and Martin -- are keen to be photographed with him. He is supported by Bill and Melinda Gates and George Soros. He is on chatting terms with Warren Buffett. He has a free pass to the Pope.

Bono's self-righteousness has taken him beyond mere charity appeals; now he storms straight into the Oval Office and starts pounding the table.

While we may not doubt his sincerity, we may question his suggested policies. He will no doubt congratulate the Liberal government tonight for making Canada the first jurisdiction to flout the intellectual property rights of pharmaceutical companies by forcing them to license AIDS drugs to "generic" producers for sale in poor countries.

There are a number of problems with this notion. The first is how much good it may actually do in the absence of health delivery systems. The second is the policy's longer-term implications. To artificially reduce the price of any product will cause shortages. It will not only reduce research funds, it will make drug companies less inclined to do research. They will fear that their rights will be expropriated any time a "public health" issue is declared to take priority over their profitability.

Even Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham has admitted that the policy has a downside for innovation. "But the problem," wrote Mr. Graham in the Toronto Star earlier this week, "is that sick people in poor countries cannot wait until new medicines are affordable." And so we must expropriate drug companies and damn the consequences.

Lenin must have used a very similar argument while grabbing peasant grain in order to feed the starving cities after the 1917 revolution. How could these selfish kulaks demand market prices when people were dying?

To declare that to steal property by legislation is OK as long as the cause is serious enough is a disastrous lesson for Third World countries whose main problem, as the brilliant Peruvian economist Hernando de Soto has pointed out, is the lack of property rights.

Debt relief is also far less straightforward an issue than Bono is likely to portray it. There is certainly cause for relief from "odious debts" incurred by tyrants and which have offered no benefit to their people, but Bono wants a blanket write-off. Not only will this do arguable good to people who are, we are so often told, live on less than $2 a day, but it will greatly damage the prospect of future loans.

Certainly there should be a forensic examination of just where these loans went, and, above all, which bozos in the West approved them, but Third World development solutions lie beyond redistribution, which has failed time and again. Development is a self-generated process, not a gift.

The fact that people believe that the simple solution for poverty is to take from some and give to others resides in a primitive outlook which evolved in a much poorer, more collectivist world. When we lived in small tribes, this made sense. It was founded on, and promoted, a valuable sense of reciprocal obligation, of mutual support.

We no longer live in such a world. Merely to throw funds at failed nations half a world away without addressing underlying problems invites chaos, particularly when so many nations toil under dictatorships and lack the rule of law.

To question Bono's policy prescriptions is not to replace hope with cynicism, but to point out that redistributionism is both morally and practically flawed.

It was almost 20 years ago that Bono's older and perhaps wiser colleague Bob Geldof staged Live Aid for starving Ethiopians. The main difference now is that, partly as a result of that and other massive initiatives by the UN, there are more Ethiopians starving, even as they are beset by AIDS. And they still live under a dictatorship.

? Copyright 2003 National Post

Last edited:
I again am posting when I said I would not. here goes.

Bono's wealth has nothing to do with it! (RICHARD)

The only two valid points that I feel the author makes are these...

#1 How can these nation's hope to receive future credit from anywhere else if their debts are completely forgiven?

#2 Pharmaceutical companies are in business to make money. That is a harsh reality. The incetive to continue to produce and create new drugs is hurt when the situation is described in tge manner above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let's see....2 points verses....Human Suffering, Poverty.....

Dreadsox said:
Bono's wealth has nothing to do with it!

I don't understand why the author even makes an issue of Bono's tax free status in relation to the rest of this acticle.

The fact that Bono lives in a country which offers some of its citizens a tax free status means NOTHING in his fight against poverty and AIDS.

He was born in Ireland, unlike some of the other celebrities/artists who have decided to make Ireland their home specifically for tax reasons (Elvis Costello/Ron Wood). And once again, we can all speculate that he's trying to fix these problems with "other people's money" but does anyone really know how much of his own income he gives?

I hate it when they try to make Bono's wealth an issue. It's got nothing to do with this stuff dammit! :censored: :censored: Ireland is his native country, for heaven's sakes. Yes, pharmaceutical companies have to make money like any other businesses. Bono has made statements making it clear that he's not oblivious to this, so he knows of the conflicts and difficulties of the situation. I must admit I didn't read that article really word-for-word because I am so damn sick and tired of them trying to make his wealth an issue. It's stupid. That's how he has the time and the money to do this. Don't they understand that? Apparently not.

Bono's American Wife said:

He was born in Ireland, unlike some of the other celebrities/artists who have decided to make Ireland their home specifically for tax reasons (Elvis Costello/Ron Wood). And once again, we can all speculate that he's trying to fix these problems with "other people's money" but does anyone really know how much of his own income he gives?

exactly what I was going to say! :up:

I remember a while back when Bill O'Reilly made the similar statements saying something to the effect: "How naive is for Bono to think that Drop the Debt is easily feasible, given the facts regarding the Third World political corruption, etc. etc."

That irked me a bit... because O'Reilly made an ASSumption regarding Bono's naivete, O'Reilly didn't seem to mind reading up on Bono's knowledge regarding his causes... such as Bono having spoken to Harvard Professor Saches numerous times... Bono KNOWS the risks, factors, AND issues involved...

What the Third World is facing is economical imperialism... whereby they can never repay their debt, no matter how much they try. What is needed there are simple stuff most countries already have taken for granted... (as shown on the MTV Diary Special) fresh water pipe distribution, forms of birth control (i.e. condoms) and sex education, AND the medication. If these basic needs aren't met, they can never advance their society and civilization. It's a travesty!

As far as pharmaceutical industry goes, more money isn't going to find the cure for AIDS or any other epidemic like cancer or whathaveyou... What's needed is timing, brilliant research, and a lucky stroke of discovery... A lot of medical research, say like somekind of organ cancer, still require charity fundraising, but they're not charging the dying patients an arm and a leg for it... Bono made it clear... a lot of meds are made cheaply but priced ridiculously (as do most businesses), but pharmaceutical is a big industry, so they probably do have a right to charge what they'd like...

I dunno... I might be wrong on some issues I've just discussed... But I'd like to hear what others have to say...

theSoulfulMofo said:
I remember a while back when Bill O'Reilly made the similar statements saying something to the effect: "How naive is for Bono to think that Drop the Debt is easily feasible, given the facts regarding the Third World political corruption, etc. etc."

That irked me a bit... because O'Reilly made an ASSumption regarding Bono's naivete, O'Reilly didn't seem to mind reading up on Bono's knowledge regarding his causes... such as Bono having spoken to Harvard Professor Saches numerous times... Bono KNOWS the risks, factors, AND issues involved...

More proof that O'Reilly doesn't know what he's talking about (just out of curiosity, how much time has Bill taken to help people in need?).

It also ticks me off when people bring Bono's financial status into these things. :mad:. If they'd only read up on the fact that he himself has donated to charities and organizations and so on and so forth...not to mention, as others have pointed out, the fact that he's wealthy has nothing to do with the issues at hand.

Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo
What the Third World is facing is economical imperialism... whereby they can never repay their debt, no matter how much they try. What is needed there are simple stuff most countries already have taken for granted... (as shown on the MTV Diary Special) fresh water pipe distribution, forms of birth control (i.e. condoms) and sex education, AND the medication. If these basic needs aren't met, they can never advance their society and civilization. It's a travesty!

Yep, exactly.

And this also all ties into the dictatorships thing, the war on terror, as Bono has pointed out many times. By helping get this stuff to these people, that makes America look good to these countries, so when some power-hungry guy comes in and starts spouting anti-American spheel, the people of these countries could look at him and go, "You're crazy! Look what America's done for us!"

As a result, these power-hungry people are unable to gain a following, and therefore cannot rise to become dictators of these people and cannot screw them over as a result.

So in the long run, not only does giving all that stuff to the Africans benefit them, but it benefits the rest of the world, too.

Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo
As far as pharmaceutical industry goes, more money isn't going to find the cure for AIDS or any other epidemic like cancer or whathaveyou... What's needed is timing, brilliant research, and a lucky stroke of discovery... A lot of medical research, say like somekind of organ cancer, still require charity fundraising, but they're not charging the dying patients an arm and a leg for it... Bono made it clear... a lot of meds are made cheaply but priced ridiculously (as do most businesses), but pharmaceutical is a big industry, so they probably do have a right to charge what they'd like...

Yep.

Course, I'd love to think that pharmaceutical companies would be more focused on helping others than how much they make for themselves.

Not saying that they shouldn't try and make a good little profit for themselves-like you've all said, they are a business and do intend to make money, but when some of them charge such high prices...it makes them seem kinda greedy...at least, that's what I'd see it as.

Angela

If I were to make an assumption, I would think the author here raised the issue of Bono's personal wealth to support his stance that Bono himself is naive in the bigger picture. What better way to support such an idea than to point out a perceived hypocracy by showing how this rich man has simplified it. To people like us (being U2 fans in general) we would rather look a bit closer than immediately criticise. Bono though has to take on many people so any simplification is almost necessary when you have so many people to convince. Whether Bono is really naive on the finer points I dont think is for us or this author to decide. Criticism like the author of this article has raised is valid but first you have to yell loudly to get everyone's attention.

I also love how the lack of helth delivery systems card is played yet again. Gott love it when people assume Africans are too dumn to take their medicine. Yet another bit of proof that Western paternalism isn't dead.

And his otehr excuse that the worl dis too complicated for redistribution isthe best cop out I've heard in ages. And how this some how makes redistribution immoral... Then there's the idea that all this is doing the Africans a favour, that this is them feeloading.... Gee is it just me or are memories of colonialism fadign fast....

moron

I read that article yesterday

I am not someone who thinks Bono is perfect, because obviously no human being is. And exactly, who DOES know how much $ he gives? Many people want that kept private, because they don't want any attention for it.

But it's easy for other people to sit on their butts and criticize him. He could just be sitting on his living the high life, but he chooses to try to help others. And I think it's pretty pathetic to criticize him for that. I have never questioned his motivation, because I truly believe it's pure.

I have a couple of points to add to the ones above.

1. I appreciate this author's tone, esp. compared to the sneering tone I've seen in some other articles. But it's strange that he starts out saying he won't discredit Bono's ideas because he's a rock star...and then does precisely that.

2. If he imagines that somehow, since Bono is rich that he could write a check and solve even a part of the problem, he grossly misunderstands the way debt has been *manufactured* to trap impoverished nations in their poverty. (That shouldn't imply malicious intent, but being trapped is indeed the effect of perpetual debt restructuring, esp. when austerity measures such as stripping away subsidies, job and health care are forced upon governments).

3. Despite the concerns of many to the contrary, the World Bank recently released a report that stated 100% of debt relief $$ has gone where it is supposed to go. Yes, corruption has wasted millions, but that's larely due to ODIOUS LENDING, loans that shouldn't have been made in the first place, and because they are odious, as this author seems to agree, they should simply be cancelled.

4. He says (and I see this a lot) that we need to address "underlying problems" but doesn't identify any. What does he mean? Infrastructure? That takes money. Jobs? Ditto. Good governance? Yes, this is sometimes an issue, but it doesn't justify not cancelling at debt that is being paid at the expense of kids eating, and "good governance" is a nebulous and culturally specific concept anyway. It's like the AIDS debate--you'll hear ppl argue that we need education, not more money--as if education doesn't COST anything! :banghead:

I think that's about it. :D Rock on the fight, Bono!

SD

Dreadsox said:
I again am posting when I said I would not. here goes.

Bono's wealth has nothing to do with it! (RICHARD)

The only two valid points that I feel the author makes are these...

#1 How can these nation's hope to receive future credit from anywhere else if their debts are completely forgiven?

#2 Pharmaceutical companies are in business to make money. That is a harsh reality. The incetive to continue to produce and create new drugs is hurt when the situation is described in tge manner above.

His wealth and the fact he's tax free doesn't mean a damn thing.

#1. True, but do you ever see them getting out of debt this way in order to ever get to a point for future credit? The world's placed them in a everlasting vacuum. Future credit shouldn't even be an issue right now. These countries have no future as things stand the way they are.

#2. You are right, but these companies can still make profit without charging market prices.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I read that article yesterday

I am not someone who thinks Bono is perfect, because obviously no human being is. And exactly, who DOES know how much $ he gives? Many people want that kept private, because they don't want any attention for it.

But it's easy for other people to sit on their butts and criticize him. He could just be sitting on his living the high life, but he chooses to try to help others. And I think it's pretty pathetic to criticize him for that. I have never questioned his motivation, because I truly believe it's pure.

Exactly.

Sherry and Blacksword and Angela, good points from you guys as well.

Angela

This article is from the National Compost. That's point number 1.

Point number two is one that the author makes himself at the end but is apparently too blindsided to see it. Ethiopians cannot be helped by a one-time charitable donation. You need to build up African societies and it needs to be a collaborative effort including people, goverments, health care, economics, trade, etc. That's why Bono's argument and DATA's positions are unique - they have integrated a number of issues, and have recognized that not one can be fixed unless all are addressed.

Exactly, animtram. Many of you have raised excellent points. I simply wanted to get these points in a thread together, and read your responses. Thanks for partaking. :)

I have noticed that many of the detractors of this cause have been very black and white, yet very unspecific in their arguments. Many of them come across as knowing much more about the issues as Bono would/does, but once we examine their points closely, they're not as knowledgable as they try to come across.

Please feel free to add more to this thread...

Blacksword said:
I also love how the lack of helth delivery systems card is played yet again. Gott love it when people assume Africans are too dumn to take their medicine. Yet another bit of proof that Western paternalism isn't dead.

i dont think its as simple as Africans remembering to take their medicine. i will not claim to be knowledgable on the subject, but significant provisional infrastructure needs to be in place: education, facilities, medical professionals and equipment.
i think that is what the author is referring to.

this column, and many others like it, miss something that is essential to the argument put forth by bono and the rest of the crew. and it is something that is missing partly due to bono, in my opinion.

the corrupt past of the continental political leaders is something that is sad and regrettable. it is also the point most often raised by critics of the plan but it is also one which data addresses as far as i know and it should be directly addressed more often by their spokespeople and champions of the cause, such as bono.

over the long term, governance reform will be a revolution as great as the provision of aids medicines or the forgivance of debts. they just have to advertise it better.

Criticizing Bono, or any other socially/politically active famous person, begs the question: would we rather they stay in their mansions and spend their money and not give a shit? I mean, maybe their knowledge of the issue isn't as thorough or it puts a famous/pretty face on the issue, but think of how much attention Bono has garnered for the cause of AIDS in Africa and Third World debt relief. That's a good thing, and he didn't HAVE to do it.

kobayashi said:

i dont think its as simple as Africans remembering to take their medicine. i will not claim to be knowledgable on the subject, but significant provisional infrastructure needs to be in place: education, facilities, medical professionals and equipment.
i think that is what the author is referring to.

this column, and many others like it, miss something that is essential to the argument put forth by bono and the rest of the crew. and it is something that is missing partly due to bono, in my opinion.

the corrupt past of the continental political leaders is something that is sad and regrettable. it is also the point most often raised by critics of the plan but it is also one which data addresses as far as i know and it should be directly addressed more often by their spokespeople and champions of the cause, such as bono.

over the long term, governance reform will be a revolution as great as the provision of aids medicines or the forgivance of debts. they just have to advertise it better.

DATA responds to the corrupt past issue, and Bono also did in his recent speech in Canada.

http://www.data.org/aboutdata.htm?1069292545671

From the Data link:

Drop the Debt
Every African country that has a debt problem should have the chance to show that, if some or all of its debt is canceled, it can do a better job of fighting poverty. The first step is for countries with debt problems to show that their governments are democratic and accountable, so people can be confident that money is well-spent. They also should have clear and budgeted programs for fighting poverty with the extra money they would receive.

When African countries succeed in setting up those plans, the international community should respond with debt cancellation that is extensive enough to make a real difference - and that will allow countries to go several years without the fear of slipping back under a crushing load of debt.

If the United States alone spent just $1.70 per year for every American, the debts of 22 African countries which have already done the work to qualify for debt relief could be canceled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember his exact words during the speech, but Bono did bring up "if the country has become accountable, please let's drop the debt" - and he also made a comment about how people shouldn't have to pay for their great great grandfather's mistakes.

Yes, good points. I believe Bono's words during the speech were something along the lines of, "If we can show through clear and transparent process that the money is going where it's supposed to, let's finish what we started and cancel the debts."

I'm am so torn about this whole thing. Part of me can support what Bono is doing. The other half wants Bono just to shut up, like some critics. And, bottom-line, yes, I guess it is because he is a multi-millionaire and I'm thinking of myself, that I can hardly give a red cent to help if I wanted to.

Who, exactly is he expecting to pay for all this? Ultimately, me, not himself.

Yes, that tax-free state he lives in is QUITE annoying. A whole other subject altogether. If I lived in Ireland I'd be very annoyed at that and most likely doing just what Bono says Irish people do...say I was going to get the guy who lives in the big house on the hill.

I still don't really get how getting the drugs to the AIDS victims is going to end AIDS. It's not. The problem is in the society itself and in religion.

Just my two cents. I just can't help it, I can't keep quiet when part of me is slightly annoyed when Bono is praised without restraint BECAUSE he is the lead singer of U2.

Don't get me wrong...I like Bono a lot!

Last edited:
Hi Soul Always,

I suggest you check out the DATA site.

http://www.data.org/

The organization is looking for people to get ahold of their government officials to make a change. It isn't really looking for your personal donations. If enough people ask more of their governments, then change can be made.

The other way to look at Bono's activisism is - hey - this guy is a multi millionaire that could do anything he wants to. Why does he spend so much time - delay album releases even - to help Africa? He did not make the choice to not pay taxes - Ireland did. It just isn't something to hold against him personally - like he is dodging something. I can understand you being annoyed if he moved to an area to avoid paying taxes - but this isn't the case. No one truly knows how he spends his money, but I guarantee that he puts a good amount back to his community even if he isn't doing it through taxes.

BostonAnne

Soul Always said:
And, bottom-line, yes, I guess it is because he is a multi-millionaire and I'm thinking of myself, that I can hardly give a red cent to help if I wanted to.

Who, exactly is he expecting to pay for all this? Ultimately, me, not himself.
Well, actually, another way of looking at it is we have already given the government our tax dollars for all sorts of things. In the case of Africa, we'd simply be giving the government permission to spend some of it wisely on the poorest people on Earth.
I still don't really get how getting the drugs to the AIDS victims is going to end AIDS. It's not. The problem is in the society itself and in religion.
You're right. The drugs won't end AIDS. However, surely you must agree that AIDS is a treatable and preventable disease, correct? We prevent it and we treat it in the Western world. Why can we not teach the developing world to do the same? Why can we not make drugs affordable to the developing world so that they can do the same? The goal is to alleviate the problem, and to educate, so they can undertake these initiatives for themselves. Affordable drugs for Africans would save millions of lives. It would cost about 20 cents to give one AIDS infected pregnant mother a drug called Nevirapine - which would help prevent her from passing on AIDS to her newborn child. We wouldn't think twice about doing this for a mother in the Western world, so why shouldn't we help an African mother with the same plight?

As far as debt relief goes, it has been shown with even the little amount that has been cancelled so far, how much it has helped. Nearly three times the amount of children in Uganda are now going to school because of debt relief and other instilled programs. The results are there to see, and that's why Bono is excited about his cause - because he knows if the world moves on this, a huge difference will eventually be made, a difference that could spell the biggest and most important shift of the 21st Century.

I think if people know where the money is going - like Bono says, through clear and transparent process - than people will want to help. A world with a stable Africa is the goal. Such a world would be a much healthier, stronger, and safer world, as we are all interconnected on this planet.

Last edited:
BostonAnne said:
Hi Soul Always,

I suggest you check out the DATA site.

http://www.data.org/

The organization is looking for people to get ahold of their government officials to make a change. It isn't really looking for your personal donations. If enough people ask more of their governments, then change can be made.

The other way to look at Bono's activisism is - hey - this guy is a multi millionaire that could do anything he wants to. Why does he spend so much time - delay album releases even - to help Africa? He did not make the choice to not pay taxes - Ireland did. It just isn't something to hold against him personally - like he is dodging something. I can understand you being annoyed if he moved to an area to avoid paying taxes - but this isn't the case. No one truly knows how he spends his money, but I guarantee that he puts a good amount back to his community even if he isn't doing it through taxes.

BostonAnne

I have checked out the site a little bit. Yeah, I know it's not his fault that Ireland chose to do that but it's still annoying that he takes the break, I guess. I know, I know, I know...I'd probably do it, too.

It's just really hard to sit and be lectured to by a man who has more money than I'll ever see in a lifetime about my government needing to use my tax money, which I can barely afford to give to help out another country when it doesn't seem we can even take care of our own population properly. I know that sounds selfish, but then I start thinking about all the homeless people I see around here, and all the decaying buildings and roads, etc. Not to mention the decaying public school system and the crappy wages teachers make, and how kids in our own country can shoot up their schools.

It just seems like we're doing a half-baked job here, as well. It's hard for me to imagine how we can afford to give it away. A rich multi-millionaire who can spend 3,000 on some wine and doesn't have to pay taxes just cannot comprehend that the world isn't so easy for most, even in western society.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

Well, actually, another way of looking at it is we have already given the government our tax dollars for all sorts of things. In the case of Africa, we'd simply be giving the government permission to spend some of it wisely on the poorest people on Earth.

You're right. The drugs won't end AIDS. However, surely you must agree that AIDS is a treatable and preventable disease, correct? We prevent it and we treat it in the Western world. Why can we not teach the developing world to do the same? Why can we not make drugs affordable to the developing world so that they can do the same? The goal is to alleviate the problem, and to educate, so they can undertake these initiatives for themselves. Affordable drugs for Africans would save millions of lives. It would cost about 20 cents to give one AIDS infected pregnant mother a drug called Nevirapine - which would help prevent her from passing on AIDS to her newborn child. We wouldn't think twice about doing this for a mother in the Western world, so why shouldn't we help an African mother with the same plight?

As far as debt relief goes, it has been shown with even the little amount that has been cancelled so far, how much it has helped. Nearly three times the amount of children in Uganda are now going to school because of debt relief and other instilled programs. The results are there to see, and that's why Bono is excited about his cause - because he knows if the world moves on this, a huge difference will eventually be made, a difference that could spell the biggest and most important shift of the 21st Century.

I think if people know where the money is going - like Bono says, through clear and transparent process - than people will want to help. A world with a stable Africa is the goal. Such a world would be a much healthier, stronger, and safer world, as we are all interconnected on this planet.

Okay...this is all great! But, I still have one bee in my bonnet! What about the homeless people around here? Is their plight any less pitiful than those people in Africa? If I were homeless I'd feel like it was so. Why not give that tax money to help end homelessness in America? If they did that...if I saw they were making efforts and waves there, then I think I'd be more friendly toward the notion of giving some away to Africa, as well. I just think that you can't ignore one completely while giving to another.

There is very little focus being placed on the plight of homeless people in America (or Ireland). Maybe Bono should mention that, too, and then I'd feel better. Speak up for those people, as well. Bono is choosing one problem, but there are so many others. It's all rather one-sided. I won't forget the homeless people I see on the streets every day.

I guess, ultimately, my crusade is different from his.

I see what you are saying, but Bono isn't saying not to help the homeless in America or whichever country we happen to live in. There's nothing stopping the G8 governments from doing more than one thing at a time. It's all about priorities. Some world leaders spend most of their money on things like the military. Some don't. In the end, they are supposed to do what we the people elect them and pressure them to do. I can't speak for Bono, but I suppose if he has seen the abject poverty in Africa first hand, nothing else at home could possibly compare to it, even though there is great poverty in the Western world as well. The difference is, in Africa, often times the poverty is in a vacuum, with no governmental aid whatsoever, where as in the West, as bad as it can be, there is much more immediate help surrounding the poverty. In Africa, over 6000 people die every day. The situation is much worse in Africa, all things considered. But that said, we should be working on issues in our homelands as well, I agree.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
I see what you are saying, but Bono isn't saying not to help the homeless in America or whichever country we happen to live in. There's nothing stopping the G8 governments from doing more than one thing at a time. It's all about priorities. Some world leaders spend most of their money on things like the military. Some don't. In the end, they are supposed to do what we the people elect them and pressure them to do. I can't speak for Bono, but I suppose if he has seen the abject poverty in Africa first hand, nothing else at home could possibly compare to it, even though there is great poverty in the Western world as well. The difference is, in Africa, often times the poverty is in a vacuum, with no governmental aid whatsoever, where as in the West, as bad as it can be, there is much more immediate help surrounding the poverty. In Africa, over 6000 people die every day. The situation is much worse in Africa, all things considered. But that said, we should be working on issues in our homelands as well, I agree.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm sure that a lot of people would change their stories if they could see the poverty in Africa firsthand and like you said, the vacuum that surrounds it. However, it seems to me that there's quite a vacuum around people who can't afford things here in America, such a decent healthcare, or a house, etc.

Obviously our politicians priorities haven't been prioritized properly, have they?

I just don't know what to think. Sometimes I get in these situations and I think they're hopeless. You need money for Africa, you need money for America, etc., there's only so much money that can go around. You can take away from the military but will that ultimately lead to a weakness that can prove detrimental? It's like a no-win situation and my head spins round and round. So, where should our priorities be and where should we spend the money?

These kinds of questions make me throw up the towel and walk away. All I know is that things aren't getting any better here, as well, for the homeless. Maybe they have more help than Africans, ultimately, but I'd rather not have their life, either.

I can see why Bono goes out there and does something for Africa...because he can afford to fly around the world, and CAN. I just wish there was such a great spokeperson for the homeless people among us.

I just don't like to see one fall through the cracks while another is getting all the focus. Yes, 6,000 are dying a day, and that's hard to comprehend and awful. It makes you feel like wringing your hands and try to get things done. Perhaps their situation in general is more urgent, though who is to say? Homeless people die daily as well from cold, hunger, violence, lack of love:sad: It makes me sad.

I better go and dream up a better way that I can help them. I'm afraid I still have a hard time authorizing my leaders to give my money away when I can so easily see the faces of the people who need it here.:(

Don't throw in the towel. Every little bit helps, even if it's in your own backyard, right? It doesn't have to be Africa. I just wanted to express the other side of the coin, and possibly (in part anyway) show why Bono might be so passionate about the issue, that's all.

Michael Griffiths said:
Don't throw in the towel. Every little bit helps, even if it's in your own backyard, right? It doesn't have to be Africa. I just wanted to express the other side of the coin, and possibly (in part anyway) show why Bono might be so passionate about the issue, that's all.

Yeah, you helped me to see more clearly again why he might be so passionate about his issue. It probably tears at his heart-strings like nothing else.

For someone who pretty much owns the world, in a sense, Africa is pretty much his backyard.

Even so, I just can't help feeling a bit, well, like a cat rubbed the wrong way, with how Bono goes about things.

I like him, though...I want to make that clear. I do think that Bono has one of the biggest hearts on the block.

Last edited:
Hi Soul Always! :wave:

Michael and Boston Anne (how ARE you girl??) have made some really good points. I'd add a couple more.

1. Remember, the Irish government has a great national statement on debt cancellation. It's not just Bono who sees this issue as important, it seems to be an Irish thing. ;) My guess is, he feels like he has a duty to use his fame for some greater purpose than himself.

2. Remember, Africa's problem is NOT simply a lack of money. Bono could round up every friend in Hollywood and London that he's got and EMPTY their bank accounts and his, and it would not solve the problem, because the debt crisis is systemic. By that I mean, the problem is the very nature of the SYSTEM the world's international financial systems, like the IMF and the World Bank (who are priority creditors) , use to calulate, manufacture and restructure debt. Unless that system changes, no amount of $$ will help, because it will all go down the debt drain.

3. The tax free thing would piss me off too. :D Just tell yourself Bono prolly makes up for it in private charity contributions. ;)

Welcome to Interference!

Sherry Darlin

Back
Top Bottom