A critical view on Bono's Drop th Debt Campaign - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2003, 11:42 AM   #46
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2luv

Then take that crusade!! Soul Always, We may be discussing Bono's AIDS and Drop the Debt work in this thread, but even he's said all along that it's not who you help or how, it's the idea of getting off the rear and helping. If you want to help the homeless and the poor in your neighborhood, that's perfect. The idea is to do SOMETHING to help. There is plenty of need there too.
The thing that's kind of funny is that I'm such a "true egalitarian" that I don't exclusively focus on homeless people. I just want to make sure they are heard. I think there are the people who see the big picture and then there are the worker bees. I tend to be the one who designs the plans and someone like Bono is the one who implements it. Funny, my husband is the same way (as Bono). They are both the worker bee types.

Old 11-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:16 PM
One of the most revealing things (and there were a lot of them) Bono said during the Much Music interview on Wednesday has to do with the reason he cannot speak out on certain political issues anymore: He has to "gag" himself - because, now, he's no longer representing himself. Now, he's representing the poorest people on Earth who do not have a voice in the G8. And he doesn't want to jeopardize that voice. People are now relying on him.

After hearing this, all of Bono's actions and inactions (not being too vocal about the Iraq situation, etc), suddenly made a lot more sense. He's simply trying to give people who have no voice a voice. And it's a responsibility he is very careful to uphold.

I don't know what that means to everyone, or why I had to state it, but I think it's interesting and somehow relavent to the overall discussion here.

Old 11-21-2003, 01:58 PM   #48
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
One of the most revealing things (and there were a lot of them) Bono said during the Much Music interview on Wednesday has to do with the reason he cannot speak out on certain political issues anymore: He has to "gag" himself - because, now, he's no longer representing himself. Now, he's representing the poorest people on Earth who do not have a voice in the G8. And he doesn't want to jeopardize that voice. People are now relying on him.

After hearing this, all of Bono's actions and inactions (not being too vocal about the Iraq situation, etc), suddenly made a lot more sense. He's simply trying to give people who have no voice a voice. And it's a responsibility he is very careful to uphold.

I don't know what that means to everyone, or why I had to state it, but I think it's interesting and somehow relavent to the overall discussion here.
Yes! That is exactly what I've said about Bono. That he has said something like "I believe President Bush is sincere. I believe he's sincerely wrong, but that's he's sincere." He isn't going to come right out and say he doesn't believe in what they're doing in Iraq because he can't afford to offend Bush or the American people or anyone else. Now, he is a voice for people who have no voice.

Interesting. Well, I understand how responsible he feels, and that he feels he has to be very careful because people are relying on him and he can't mess up the voice HE has.

Everything I hear about Bono, I like him more and more. Everything I hear about him makes me feel more "one" with him. They guy is a person after my own heart
Old 11-21-2003, 03:31 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
i dont think its as simple as Africans remembering to take their medicine. i will not claim to be knowledgable on the subject, but significant provisional infrastructure needs to be in place: education, facilities, medical professionals and equipment.
i think that is what the author is referring to.
Then again, Bono tackled this argument a long time ago (1, 2 years?) when he said something like: When it is possible to get a can of cold Coca Cola in the middle of Ethiopia, then it certainly is possible to have an infrastructure to get medicines to the same area. (This in response to a statement by a US official that Africans cannot look up what time it is to get their medicine on time)

C ya!

Marty
Old 11-21-2003, 10:57 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Soul Always
Yes! That is exactly what I've said about Bono. That he has said something like "I believe President Bush is sincere. I believe he's sincerely wrong, but that's he's sincere." He isn't going to come right out and say he doesn't believe in what they're doing in Iraq because he can't afford to offend Bush or the American people or anyone else. Now, he is a voice for people who have no voice.

Interesting. Well, I understand how responsible he feels, and that he feels he has to be very careful because people are relying on him and he can't mess up the voice HE has.

Everything I hear about Bono, I like him more and more. Everything I hear about him makes me feel more "one" with him. They guy is a person after my own heart
Yep. Exactly. Ditto you and Michael's posts. That definitely makes a lot of sense.

Bono's just awesome. Seriously. My respect and admiration for him knows no boundaries.

Angela
Old 11-27-2003, 12:40 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Criticizing Bono, or any other socially/politically active famous person, begs the question: would we rather they stay in their mansions and spend their money and not give a shit? I mean, maybe their knowledge of the issue isn't as thorough or it puts a famous/pretty face on the issue, but think of how much attention Bono has garnered for the cause of AIDS in Africa and Third World debt relief. That's a good thing, and he didn't HAVE to do it.
yep I agree!

I dont think Bono would be doing this just for the hell of it. I think he knows his facts and knows what he trying to get across to everyone.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:41 PM   #52
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
Local Time: 09:16 AM
Bono brings it publicity, he's helping, let him be!
Old 11-28-2003, 02:11 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:16 AM
Exactly.

And it's particularly good in the sense that through that publicity, this message is getting out to the people of my generation, too. For instance, tonight on MTV they had their "Fight For Your Rights" thing on the social history of HIV, and Bono was on there (it'll be on again throughout the weekend for those who want to check it out), and then there was the "Diary" show last year they had on there...that's good. Since we're the next group of people to step up to the plate, if we can learn about this stuff now, hopefully we'll run with it and work to change things the further on we go in life.

Young people can read statistics and be shocked and everything, but when they see pictures of, hear stories from, and meet people their own age with this disease, which is what these MTV specials shows, that really hits home.

And we have people like Bono and Ashley Judd and all the other great celebrities who've gotten involved with this issue to thank for that.

Angela