A Covert War? A Propagandistic War?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
CNN reports that the conflict will likely, unprecedently, be run in secret, meaning that the press will only get what the government tells them.

This sets the stage for mass lying, as any mistakes will be covered up. Don't think it will happen? The Gulf War spread such lies as the effectiveness of patriot missiles against scud missiles (they don't blow scuds up, but just knock them down to blow up on the ground) and the "noble cause" for the war (it was about oil companies' defense, not Kuwait's defense). Pro-war or anti-war, get ready for Soviet-style lying...

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Oh for Christ's sake...

Couple things.

First, the special operations nature of this "war" makes it fairly difficult to provide the coverage they provided of the Gulf War.

Second, we don't NEED to know everything that goes on.

You're just looking for anything to be cynical about, melon. Particularly with Bush at the helm.

It has nothing to do with Bush at the helm. I'm reporting what was stated on the news, along with a slight commentary. CNN, though, has always had a way of being dramatic.

Besides, I feel like complaining.
tongue.gif

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Bush will probably make some sort of small-scale action to make the the general american public think "hey, he's fighting, who-ooo... bastarrrrrrdddssss".

I think that showing live on CNN the attacks of the WTC and not showing the civilians casualties the US war will do is purely propaganda.

cheers

------------------
La resignacion es un suicido permanente

Originally posted by melon:
It has nothing to do with Bush at the helm. I'm reporting what was stated on the news, along with a slight commentary. CNN, though, has always had a way of being dramatic.

Besides, I feel like complaining.
tongue.gif

Melon

Okay, fair enough then.
smile.gif

I can understand your cynicism about it, but I don't think we need CNN announcing that "troops are mobilizing along the borders of Iraq right now. At six o'clock they will begin manuevers sweeping south and east while Naval fighters approach from the southeast. Please everybody, don't let Saddam know."

[This message has been edited by MSU2mike (edited 09-18-2001).]

Originally posted by Holy John:
I think that showing live on CNN the attacks of the WTC and not showing the civilians casualties the US war will do is purely propaganda.

And I think the opinion of someone who's agenda is so clear and so extreme is worth less than most other's around these parts. But hey, that's just my opinion.

it is propaganda, but hey, this is a free non-oppressiong country after all.

and what do you have against my agenda ? I like it, it's ok... I've got an opinion
cheers

------------------
La resignacion es un suicido permanente

Originally posted by melon:
CNN reports that the conflict will likely, unprecedently, be run in secret, meaning that the press will only get what the government tells them.

This sets the stage for mass lying, as any mistakes will be covered up. Don't think it will happen? The Gulf War spread such lies as the effectiveness of patriot missiles against scud missiles (they don't blow scuds up, but just knock them down to blow up on the ground) and the "noble cause" for the war (it was about oil companies' defense, not Kuwait's defense). Pro-war or anti-war, get ready for Soviet-style lying...

Melon

The things about Patriot missiles and the "noble cause" are pretty tame examples of propaganda. Perhaps more to the point, the government definitely wouldn't want the public to know that "by force-feeding a prisoner Taco Bell bean burritos for a month, US agents in Afghanistan have learned the location of several bases for Osama bin Laden's operations."

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-18-2001).]

Melon:

Perhaps instead of any type of "war" action, we could invite all of the world's terrorists over for a ping pong tournament, winner takes all. No, that would have too much of a competitive spirit.

Let's just invite them all over for an ice cream social and "talk our issues out." I'm sure that most terrorists are quite reasonable (despite the fact that they think that "The Osama" is some freaking spiritual prince). We better have some political correctness committee check first to make sure that ice cream isn't forbidden/offensive to Taliban types.

~U2Alabama

p.s. Speedracer: I happen to like Taco Bell Bean Burritoes, but, knowing that each one has 7 grams of dietary fiber, it could get very messy force feeding them to terrorists, if you know what I mean (it would give new meaning to my new nickname for "The Osama," whom I casually refer to as "FARTKNOCKER!!!"

09182001-4.160x120.jpg

U2Bama,

You shouldn't scoff at the notion of a peaceful settlement! It looks like Israel and the Palestinian Authority are really trying to work things out now.

Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres was quoted: "The world is facing an unbelievable danger and we have to put aside secondary skirmishes." So once the Martians attack, I think that we can work out a truce with ObL and his cronies.

Hey, some of us want to bomb the hell out of everything over there and some of us want to diplomatically imprison Bin Laden.

So, to appease both parties, lets just drop a million tons of pork over Afghanistan! That?s sure to SMOKE all of them out.
smile.gif
wink.gif

Yes Melon, I agree with you. The government spoon-feeds CNN, some of the time.

I don't think CNN is spoon fed when they report things like, "the President is being moved to a secure location.......in Nebraska."
rolleyes.gif

"Praise Allah! Down with CAPITALISM and the evil Americans who have caused countless atrocities in our lands. Now Acoknod, don't forget; on 09 SEPT you must go to their evil-capitalistic Stock Market and buy 1 million shares of Aetna Insurance. Praise be to Allah!"

biggrin.gif
GOD BLESS AMERICA
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by whammy (edited 09-18-2001).]

Originally posted by whammy:
"Praise Allah! Down with CAPITALISM and the evil Americans who have caused countless atrocities in our lands. Now Acoknod, don't forget; on 09 SEPT you must go to their evil-capitalistic Stock Market and buy 1 million shares of Aetna Insurance. Praise be to Allah!"

biggrin.gif
GOD BLESS AMERICA
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by whammy (edited 09-18-2001).]

Actually, ObL or someone working with him are alleged to have short-sold a bunch of insurance stocks so that they could buy them back dirt-cheap after the attacks. Whichever broker handled that transaction can't be too pleased about that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom