a condom with teeth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
words fail me.

[q]Clamping down on rapists in South Africa
Prerna Mankad
Wed, 04/11/2007 - 3:12pm.

Later this month, South African women will be able to purchase the Rapex device, marketed as the "anti-rape condom." The rapex, shaped like a female condom, is worn internally and equipped with 25 teeth in its lining. The razor-sharp teeth fasten on the attacker's penis if he attempts penetration. Since the device does no lasting damage to the attacker, it is completely legal and will sell for 1 Rand (around 14 cents) when it hits stores. The majority of women surveyed about the device said they would be willing to use it.

The inventor of Rapex, South African Sonette Ehler, a former medical technician, got the idea when a traumatized rape victim lamented to her, "If only I had teeth down there."

Of course, the product is not without controversy or critics. Some argue that the device may encourage rapists to attack their victims further, placing women in even greater danger. Ehler's response is that women are already faced with that danger, and at least this way the man is disabled momentarily, allowing the victim to get away. Others criticize the method as "vengeful," to which Ehler responds: "[It's] a medieval device for a medieval deed." More philosophically, some argue that the idea places the burden of stopping rape on the victims rather than the perpetrators. But the reality, according to Ehler, is that "[n]obody can make you safe except you." Given that South Africa has the highest per capita rate of rape of any country in the world, at a reported 119 per 100,000 people (which translates to around 1.7 million women raped each year), she may have a compelling argument.
[/q]

img_1897.jpg

Sad that it is needed, sure as hell not sad for any rapist that gets it.

But would be sad for any male victim of deliberate and malicious vagina dentata.

A_Wanderer said:
Sad that it is needed, sure as hell not sad for any rapist that gets it.
Agreed. It's a shame that it's gone this far, but if these jerks insist on attacking women, it's only fair that the women attack back.

There is a way around it, though, and if the rapist finds out a woman is wearing one, he might get really vicious with her. :(

Irvine511 said:
South Africa has the highest per capita rate of rape of any country in the world, at a reported 119 per 100,000 people (which translates to around 1.7 million women raped each year)

:| What a sad statistic! Is there no law and order there whatsoever???

Sue DeNym said:
There is a way around it, though, and if the rapist finds out a woman is wearing one, he might get really vicious with her. :(

I imagine it's kind of a last ditch thing -- you do everything you can to avoid becoming a victim in the first place, and you do your best to fight like hell if attacked, but if all else fails and you do get raped at least this way the bastard gets hurt too.

when do women put this in, though? like, if she works late nights and has to take public transportation or walk home alone or when? i can't imagine it would be part of one's morning routine?

Irvine511 said:
i can't imagine it would be part of one's morning routine?

In Africa, sadly I don't think time of day matters. The stats are sickening. But the problem is, how does this stop anyone from beating or shooting the girl for retaliation?

After reading a little more about this device, I don't think its main goal is to inflict pain--rather to A) protect the woman from diseases and pregnancy and B) force the rapist to go to a hospital, where he can then be turned over to the police. The hooks apparently don't actually sink in until the man withdraws, but once in supposedly can't be removed without a doctor's help. Obviously it would also cause pain--which, it's hoped, would give the woman an opportunity to safely flee--but it doesn't per se "prevent" rape.

But rape being a crime of power and sadism to begin with, I'm not sure the potential benefits of this device outweigh the risks. In a situation where the man has a gun, or a gang rape situation, I'd worry this would only increase the chances of the woman getting beaten or shot in 'retaliation'. It also sounds like it would probably be quite easy for a rapist to avail himself of any one of various common objects that could be inserted first as a 'safety,' thus enabling him to easily remove the device (which, again, I'd worry might then incline him to be even more vicious with the assault). And as Sue indicated, the device would be of no help with anal rape.

Still, the mere idea of it being readily available and fairly inexpensive (though you can only wear each one up to 24 hours, which might make it too expensive for some women) presumably has some deterrent effect all by itself. I'm just not sure whether whatever potential it has to make these situations even more dangerous is 'made up for' by that.

Last edited:
This story's fairly old news.

Anyhow, I think it's meant to work more as a deterrent, at least to repeat offenders. If a rapist has a run-in with one of those, I doubt they would want to push their luck again if the thing is well-marketed and very public.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But the problem is, how does this stop anyone from beating or shooting the girl for retaliation?

Dunno, but that's a chance I bet some are willing to take. Same as carrying mace in a purse, holding your sharpest car key a little tighter when you see a shadow behind you..... I'm not paranoid by any means, but there are times that I've been afraid of being out alone, simply b/c I was alone in the dark and I am a woman. I can't imagine that getting beaten or shot would be much worse than being raped.

Liesje said:

Dunno, but that's a chance I bet some are willing to take. Same as carrying mace in a purse, holding your sharpest car key a little tighter when you see a shadow behind you..... I'm not paranoid by any means, but there are times that I've been afraid of being out alone, simply b/c I was alone in the dark and I am a woman. I can't imagine that getting beaten or shot would be much worse than being raped.

But my point was, wouldn't mace or something along those lines be much more effective? With mace you can at temporarily blind your attacker and have a chance to run. With this it pretty much seems like you allow the attack to happen, plus you put the man in pain and really piss him off, doesn't sound like an effective combination to me.

It would be more effective here in North America, though mace is illegal in some places (I do not carry mace, only know this b/c many dog owners carry it b/c their dogs have been attacked by dogs at large). However, I'm guessing it's more expensive than the condom and a lot less discreet. In some cultures, women don't have the freedom or the opportunity to get or carry mace or any weapon.

If it's vengeance, then so be it. As for bvs's question, if you have hooks embedded in your willy, is your priority the woman you are attacking, or to preserve your in-pain penis? It would potentially buy that few moments of time where the woman can either escape, or incapacitate him by whatever means necessary so that she can then escape.

I'm all for protecting women from rape, but I have to agree that this device just seems to carry the potential for further enraging a man (or men) that's already dangerous. Rape is about power & humiliation - and I'm sure that a woman (particularly in countries where she's hardly more than property) having the audacity to try & inflict some humiliation back onto her perpetrator would only serve to further convince him that she needed 'a lesson'.

I don't know what the answer is. :sad: I just pray that I nor any of my loved ones ever find themselves in the situation.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
With this it pretty much seems like you allow the attack to happen, plus you put the man in pain and really piss him off, doesn't sound like an effective combination to me.
The thing is, the situation is so bad, the rape so common, that you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. Can you only imagine how bad it is that this is proposed as a solution?

Canadiens1160 said:
The thing is, the situation is so bad, the rape so common, that you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. Can you only imagine how bad it is that this is proposed as a solution?

Believe me I know the statistics are sickening. I just think a more proactive solution to allow females to empower themselves would be more productive. The fact that this even has to be invented is horrific.

I actually like the idea in combination with giving these women more power to protect themselves.

She should be allowed to immediately deprive him of certain..equipment..immediately. I know this wouldn't actually prevent him from raping again using something else, but I imagine many guys would think twice if they knew they'd be immediately Bobbited for this behavior, if the woman can manage it.

:yikes: on one hand I think it's kind of a good idea.....on the other I would feel really really bad for the poor chump that "hooks up" with an old girlfriend or something after a drunken night out and she um...forgets she's got it....on? in?

:giggle: ouch.....

Back
Top Bottom