A book for the cynics and skeptics. The AfterLife Experiments -Gary Schwartz Phd.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you read a book that proved the afterlife existed based on scientific findings?

• I believe in an afterlife and I want to read this book

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I don't believe in an afterlife and think the guy has been bamboozled

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I don't really believe but can change my mind

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Nope nothing will change my mind.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
074343658X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

this is a book for the skeptics and the cynics that refuse to believe in an afterlife or hereafter.

Gary Schwartz was a pragmatic scientist that conducted strict experiments with some of the world's most renowned and credible mediums.

Being a skeptic himself he tried to stoop, trick and mystify these mediums. He failed and realized there is something more going on.
He made the expirements stricter and stricter and more controlled only to be mystified by the results of the legitimate mediums.
He also exposed the fradulent ones that we all have heard about.

If you have an open mind I would recommend this book for you to consider.

Sincerely,
db9

Scam. No way in fucking hell. This clown wants to make money, not prove some ridiculous unprovable theory. I cannot believe anyone is stupid enough to fall for it.

oh, hang on. There is a forward by Deepak Chopra. He's a friend of Oprah's. THis must be honest to god legit. I wonder how many people he killed and then resurrected to prove his theory? And then hnow many different religions he sampled? Maybe he had bunsen burners with the squat little jars marked 'jew', 'muslim', 'buddhist', 'christian 1', 'christian 2' and so on. That might have been a re-enactment of hell for some of the souls trapped in the jars.

I've actually heard of this book being referred to as "the ultimate guide on how not to test mediums". I haven't read it but it seems to be up there with the guy who said there was a 67% chance that God existed.

I don't need this book - I believe 150% in an afterlife, I'm just not sure of the details.

DrTeeth said:
I've actually heard of this book being referred to as "the ultimate guide on how not to test mediums". I haven't read it but it seems to be up there with the guy who said there was a 67% chance that God existed.

This guy used psychics for these scientific experiments????
:lmao:

Oh god, it gets better.

anitram said:
I don't need this book - I believe 150% in an afterlife, I'm just not sure of the details.

And thats the point. People either believe in it or they don't. Believers dont need books to believe and sceptics require 'repeatable' data.

Last edited:
until you guys read the book with an open mind..
u will not know.

Therefore I challenge you herewith to read this book.

thank u
db9

diamond said:
u will not know.

thank u
db9

Are you going to send me a free copy of the book, because Im not giving that guy one brass razoo.

Seriously, lets judge the book by the cover. A Christian image and the title is written in Jehovahs Witness font. The target market is not sceptics. You have a bunch of them in this thread.

i don't think any of us will know for sure until we've left the planet, regardless of what books we've read.

Last edited:
diamond said:
u will not know.

thank u
db9

I guess we could all use an open mind like yours eh Diamond? :lol: :lmao:

Seriously, I have an open mind regarding the possibility of an afterlife. I just don't believe anybody can prove that it is or isn't there. This guy's definitely not getting any of my money.

First, I will list here the major types of flaws in the experiments described in his first four reports (I will deal with the fifth report separately below):

1. Inappropriate control comparisons
2. Inadequate precautions against fraud and sensory leakage
3. Reliance on non-standardized, untested dependent variables
4. Failure to use double-blind procedures
5. Inadequate "blinding" even in what he calls "single blind" experiments
6. Failure to independently check on facts the sitters endorsed as true
7. Use of plausibility arguments to substitute for actual controls

The preceding list refers to defects in the conduct of the experiments and in the gathering of the data. Other very serious problems appear in the way Schwartz interprets and presents the results of his research. These include:

8. The confusion of exploratory with confirmatory findings
9. The calculation of conditional probabilities that are inappropriate and grossly misleading
10. Creating non-falsifiable outcomes by reinterpreting failures as successes
11. Inflating significance levels by failing to adjust for multiple testing and by treating unplanned comparisons as if they were planned.

beli said:

Are you going to send me a free copy of the book, because Im not giving that guy one brass razoo.

Seriously, lets judge the book by the cover. A Christian image and the title is written in Jehovahs Witness font. The target market is not sceptics. You have a bunch of them in this thread.

i checked mine out at my local librabry.

remember my opening post:Gary Schwartz was a pragmatic scientist that conducted strict experiments with some of the world's most renowned and credible mediums.
Being a skeptic himself he tried to stoop, trick and mystify these mediums. He failed and realized there is something more going on.

beli,
Dr Schwartz answers the cynical guy.
He refute pretty much everything the guy claims.

Cynical and closed minded folk needn't read this book.
Fair and open minded I challenge you to do so.

db9

Last edited:
beli said:

Hang on a minute, you pitched this thread, as per the title, at cynics. Now you are saying cynics shouldn't read it. Please explain.

An openminded cynic should read this.
Dr Schwartz was a cynic but after the overwhelming evidence and stict controls in experiments couldn't derail the results he modified his belief system a bit.

For the record Dr Schwartz is not a bible thumper even after years and years of research.

So I challenge you, read the book.:)
db9

diamond said:

Dr Schwartz was a cynic but after the overwhelming evidence and stict controls in experiments couldn't derail the results he modified his belief system a bit.

For the record Dr Schwartz is not a bible thumper even after years and years of research.

db9

I can google up a many more cynics dissecting this guys lack of scientific process. If he wants to write a book about his belief in the afterlife, so be it. But it may be fraud to suggest that he has used scientific process to come to his conclusions.

As for checking the book out of the library. I will check if its available but I doubt it. This book falls into the realm of the wanky side of the USA which isn't actually popular outside of the USA. Believe it, or not.

diamond said:

db9

So the guy firmly believes in his own research, how odd!! :hmm:

Ah well, being the openminded cynic that I am, I searched in my university's library and in some Catholic universities' libraries (I even went as far as Belgium) and I can't find the book anywhere. It's amazing that such a piece of undeniable evidence has managed to stay out of the limelight. :ohmy:

I have risen to DrTeeths challenge and searched the library catalogue at the University where I work (which is incidently one of the largest research Universitys in the country), and, nope, its not in the collection.

Maybe I can email the author and he will send me a free copy.

I have found it in a library in my state.

The dewey decimal number for the book is

133.9013 SCH

which according to the Dewey Decimal System is for:

133 Parapsychology & occultism

ie the library system has not classified this book as scientific research.

Back
Top Bottom