A bellwether? Virginia's state senate goes Democrat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Democrats Seize Control of Virginia Senate
Gains, Including House Seats, Buoy Kaine's Agenda

By Tim Craig
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 7, 2007; 8:31 AM

Democrats wrested control of the Senate from the Republicans in yesterday's legislative elections, picking up the four seats they needed to give them a majority of at least 21 to 19 and end a decade of GOP dominance in the chamber.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) claimed victory in a celebration at Tysons Corner. The Republicans retained control of the House, but the Democrats also gained seats there. The party's surge will help the governor advance much of his agenda during his last two years in office, including investing more in education, health and the environment.

"It's an exciting time," Kaine said in interview. "It enables me to get even more done."

The Democratic gains offered further evidence of a closely divided electorate as both parties gear up for next year's presidential and U.S. Senate races. Although Democrats made advances in rapidly changing, diversifying Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads, the GOP held on to several Senate seats in more rural parts of the state.

Link to full article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/07/AR2007110700553.html?hpid=topnews

The trend began in 2005 with the election of Tim Kaine, then 2006 with Jim Webb, now a change in the State Senate, what does this mean for 2008?

It's feeling better every day to be a Virginian.

:yippie:

i wanted to start a thread about this but i was waiting for you to do it ;)

i voted! i took part in making VA go blue :D
my family didn't vote though...but that's okay. the more blue votes the better lol jk.

I was at the victory party for John Miller who defeated Tricia Stall down here in the 1st Senate district, it was great! It was nice because Miller's HQ was right next to campus, so we were able to help out a lot. It feels good to have really made a difference :D

Maybe now more can be accomplished in terms of transportation and education.

I was happy to hear this even though in our local race, the Repubulican candidate won by only a few hundred votes. :( What really irks me was the slimy campaign ads she used both in the primary and in the actual race. ugh. But I guess it is encouraging that the Democratic candidate got so close, given that this area is traditionally a Republican safe-zone. :shrug:

I voted too, btw. :wink:

Aw...:( :hug: U2democrat. That's not fair.

Still, good news in the end, though, so yay! Here's hoping that the governor's right and they can start making some serious headway in the issues they want to deal with. Congratulations to the Democrats, and best of luck to everybody.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom