"95% of suicide bombers act to expel foreign occupying troops" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:49 PM
"95% of suicide bombers act to expel foreign occupying troops"

http://baltimorechronicle.com/072205Haining.shtml

Interesting to get a different perspective.....

Old 07-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Let’s keep painting the picture that they are psychotic "homicide bombers" that are eager for 72 virgins.
(72 virgins, sounds more like hell to me)

oh, and they hate freedom.

(we won't talk about occupation, our support of repressive regimes that do our bidding, one-sided approach to Israeli - Palestinian dispute, that their only valuable resource is being plundered by despots and for us to consume at a price and rate that we influence and some would say control.)

Old 07-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Evil doers that hate freedom....

But why do they hate freedom?

Because they are evil doers, dumbass!
Old 07-23-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:49 PM
If 95% of suicide bombers are purely opposed to the occupation and have no religious motive and no motive concerning the type of Iraqi society they would like to see emerge following the end of the occupation, can someone please explain why they are predominantly attacking Iraqi citizens in particular those attempting to join the police or armed services, instead of targeting their attacks against the US/UK troops? Can someone further explain why they continue suicide bombings despite the fact that the continued violence is serving to prolong the occupation rather than bring it to an end.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

With regard to your first question (targeting their own citizens instead of foreign troops) it's most likely because they are 'collaborators with the enemy'. They are traitors to their country. By first preventing these traitors to collaborate with the foreign occupiers it will be easier to throw out the occupiers. They then know that their fellow citizens aren't against them (maybe not necessarily in support of them anyway, but that's not that important). When the foreign occupiers have no local support, their effictivity is much less and their vulnerability is much higher.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
With regard to your first question (targeting their own citizens instead of foreign troops) it's most likely because they are 'collaborators with the enemy'. They are traitors to their country. By first preventing these traitors to collaborate with the foreign occupiers it will be easier to throw out the occupiers. They then know that their fellow citizens aren't against them (maybe not necessarily in support of them anyway, but that's not that important). When the foreign occupiers have no local support, their effictivity is much less and their vulnerability is much higher.
But preventing the development of an Iraqi police force and military won't make it easier to "throw out the occupiers" - it will prolong the occupation because the occupiers will be less likely to leave while there is no functioning police force, military, civil service, etc. And the terrorists (sorry, but I make no apologies for calling them such - they're terrorising people and decimating Iraqi civil society in the process) don't target exclusively "collaborators" -- remember the incident only a few weeks ago where over twenty children were killed by a suicide bomber. And let's not forget that many of these so-called "collaborators" aren't joining the police or military out of choice, but out of dire economic need.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:49 PM
I'm sure that would explain the sectarian nature of so many of the attacks in Iraq, attacks on citizens at mosques, and the attacks on barber's who'll shave a man's face, etc. Not to mention that, by undermining the Iraqi police force and the Iraqi economy, they prolong the need for US/Coalition troops to remain, thus prolonging their justification for their holy war.

No one brings up our support of repressive dictators? Didn't we just take out a repressive dictator who we'd previously supported? We just can't win. I didn't initially support the war, but I'm starting to think that no matter what we'd done, it would've been the wrong thing to some people.

Considering the ratio of civilian deaths to military deaths coming out of Iraq as a result of this, I have to doubt the statistics. However, if this is true, it's kind of irrelevant because I don't consider people who attack troops to be terrorists, they're enemy combatants. It's the people who're blowing up citizens, and far more citizens than troops are dying at the hands of suicide bombers at least in Iraq.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
"95% of suicide bombers act to expel foreign occupying troops"
I guess the other 5% were the ones flying the planes into the WTC towers?
Old 07-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

I guess the other 5% were the ones flying the planes into the WTC towers?
Oh yes I forgot Iraq and 9/11 were linked.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Oh yes I forgot Iraq and 9/11 were linked
How did you derive that from my statement?

The title of the thread statement is trying to justify the suicide bomber's motives - as noble to dispel and occupying force. I'm saying... I don't think that was the motive of the 9/11 bombers.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:21 PM   #11
Refugee

and of course, I'd like to see how they derive these statistics. Was it in an interview before the suicide bombings or after?
Old 07-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
and of course, I'd like to see how they derive these statistics. Was it in an interview before the suicide bombings or after?
I just foundthis interview with the author of the book referred to in the article. It might go some way to answering your question, although I doubt it will convince you of the validity of the author's argument.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:49 PM
Quote:

How did you derive that from my statement?

The title of the thread statement is trying to justify the suicide bomber's motives - as noble to dispel and occupying force. I'm saying... I don't think that was the motive of the 9/11 bombers.
I re-read your post and yes maybe you were talking about all suicide bombers in general, but the article was specific about the occupation and I just find it odd that 9/11 was brought about. That's all.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:55 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I re-read your post and yes maybe you were talking about all suicide bombers in general, but the article was specific about the occupation and I just find it odd that 9/11 was brought about. That's all.
I think that while the article is referring specifically to Iraq, the book which is the source of the 95% claim is a study of suicide bombing in general, not only in Iraq. Admittedly I haven't read the book so I'm just basing that judgement on some articles I've managed to find online about it.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:27 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

does anyone remember osama saying himself that he doesn't hate freedom or our way of life? that he does hate what america and its supporters have done to the middle east? and this is why he does not attack sweden?