The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
That's the number of rapes reported in the US in 2004. Who knows how many more went unreported..

By MARK SHERMAN
The Associated Press
Monday, October 17, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Murders across the United States fell for the first time in five years, while rapes increased slightly last year, the FBI reported Monday.

Overall, the number of violent crimes, which also include aggravated assaults and robberies, fell by 1.2 percent last year. Property crimes _ burglaries, larceny/theft and car theft _ dropped 1.1 percent in 2004, compared to 2003.

There were 16,137 murders in the United States in 2004, the last full year for which statistics are available. That was about 350 fewer than in 2003, according to the FBI data. The decrease is the first since 1999, although smaller than what the FBI reported in June. Chicago was largely responsible for the drop, recording 150 fewer murders in 2004 than in 2003.

The number of rapes, however, has increased in three of the past four years, according to the FBI data. In all, rapes increased by .8 percent to 94,635 rapes, or about 750 more than in 2003.

Rapes are up nearly 5 percent since 2000, while murders have increased by 3.5 percent, FBI data show.

At the same time, the rates of all violent crimes, measured as the number of crimes for every 100,000 people, have dropped over that same period. Indeed, the crime rate is at a 30-year low, government data have shown.

Despite the historical trend, the FBI included a "crime clock" in its report that shows a violent crime is committed every 23.1 seconds. A murder occurs roughly every half-hour, according to the clock.

Crime in the United States 2004: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/documents/CIUS2004.pdf

some more info
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/17/crime.rate/index.html

Almost 7,700 hate crimes

The FBI calculated 7,649 hate crimes -- cases in which offenders were motivated by bias. Of those cases, 53 percent of cases were based on race, 16 percent on religion, 15 percent on sexual orientation and 13 percent were based on ethnicity. Because of changes in reporting procedures, the FBI provided no statistical comparison to the previous year.

Of single-bias incidents, the most -- 2,731 -- were described as anti-black, while 954 other cases were labeled anti-Jewish.

Of the anti-homosexual cases, 738 were committed against men and 164 were against women.

The FBI report also contained two special reports that examine juvenile drug violations and crimes against infants.

The drug abuse report said the number of juveniles arrested increased over a 10-year period, from 159,000 in 1994 to 195,000 in 2003.

"Trends for overall arrests involving drug abuse suggest that this social problem shows no signs of abating," the report said.

In 2003, the last year for which juvenile arrest data was available, nearly 163,000 juveniles were arrested for possession -- 127,000 of those arrests involved marijuana, and 14,000 involved cocaine or opium. Nearly 32,000 juveniles were arrested for the sale or manufacture of drugs, the report found.

In what the FBI terms an "exploratory study," a review of data involving infant victims shows that between 2001 and 2003, there were 94 cases of murder including non-negligent manslaughter of infants under 1 year of age. Most of the offenses involved assaults -- 1,023 aggravated assaults and 1,404 simple assaults.

There were also 215 kidnappings and 39 rapes.

Most of the incidents involved relatives or someone the family trusted. The report said an infant is rarely the only victim but reliable information is difficult to collect.

"When incidents occur in private and the witnesses to such crimes either cannot speak for themselves or may be reluctant to speak because of a sense of loyalty to friends and family, it can be difficult for law enforcement to ascertain sufficient information during an investigation to have a case accepted for prosecution," the report concluded.

holy :censored:

almost 100,000 rapes....that's 100,000 too many. :sigh:

one of the many reasons why i like to be out with friends and not by myself, and when i am by myself i'm always very much on guard. sometimes i think i may be getting a little paranoid but then i see stuff like this and my being on guard seems justified.

That's awful.

When I first moved out on my own last year one of the things I took into consideration was what floor I stayed on. I chose an apartment not on the ground floor because I felt it was safer, and I'm lucky in that my apartment windows are generally hidden from outside visitors.

If I go out at night by myself I'm always aware of my surroundings, and if I don't feel safe I get the hell out of dodge. Same goes for if I'm out by myself during the day.

Oh yeah, I also didn't want to be on the first floor here at school because of so many stories of random guys (not at this school specifically but all over) coming in the windows and raping the girls inside. Thank goodness I'm on the second floor.

dandy said:
bear in mind that the vast majority of rapes go unreported. it's mind boggling and completely and utterly unacceptable.

:mad:

That's what's really scary. That's what makes me paranoid. I rarely go out by myself, and never at night.

dandy said:
bear in mind that the vast majority of rapes go unreported. it's mind boggling and completely and utterly unacceptable.

:mad:

And that most rapes are committed by people who know the victim.

While murder statistics get more attention (in part due to a gun control debate), it is sad that such dehumanizing violence occurs with such frequency.

I think it's more than sad, and I think considering the fact that the majority of rapes still happen to women..it's more than sad that more men don't speak out about it. Especially when you consider the attitudes that still exist in some men about "date rapes".

I'm not condemning anyone here, but that's just the general impression I get

Back
Top Bottom