935 lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080123/ap_on_go_pr_wh/misinformation_study_4

"WASHINGTON - A study by two nonprofit journalism organizations found that President Bush and top administration officials issued hundreds of false statements about the national security threat from Iraq in the two years following the 2001 terrorist attacks. "

"The study was posted Tuesday on the Web site of the Center for Public Integrity, which worked with the Fund for Independence in Journalism. White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said he could not comment on the study because he had not seen it.

The study counted 935 false statements in the two-year period. It found that in speeches, briefings, interviews and other venues, Bush and administration officials stated unequivocally on at least 532 occasions that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction or was trying to produce or obtain them or had links to al-Qaida or both.

"It is now beyond dispute that Iraq did not possess any weapons of mass destruction or have meaningful ties to al-Qaida," according to Charles Lewis and Mark Reading-Smith of the Fund for Independence in Journalism staff members, writing an overview of the study. "In short, the Bush administration led the nation to war on the basis of erroneous information that it methodically propagated and that culminated in military action against Iraq on March 19, 2003."

Named in the study along with Bush were top officials of the administration during the period studied: Vice President Dick Cheney, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Colin Powell, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz and White House press secretaries Ari Fleischer and Scott McClellan.

Bush led with 259 false statements, 231 about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and 28 about Iraq's links to al-Qaida, the study found. That was second only to Powell's 244 false statements about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and 10 about Iraq and al-Qaida."

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:
Wasn't Clinton real close to getting impeached over ONE lie on a PERSONAL matter?

That was sex (dirty, disgusting), this is war (freedom, liberty).

Bill Clinton getting a blow job and lying about it brought shame to the White House. George Bush launching a war for economic gain on the back of lies made believable only by a recent national tragedy brought honour back to the White House.

Good post financeguy,

I did not vote for George Bush
and have continued to be puzzled as to why my so called conservative friends can't see the truth about him and his administration.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and POWER

He is not a conservative and far from the principles of a libertarian.

"I keep my eyes wide open all the time."

~Johnny Cash

financeguy said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080123/ap_on_go_pr_wh/misinformation_study_4

"WASHINGTON - A study by two nonprofit journalism organizations found that President Bush and top administration officials issued hundreds of false statements about the national security threat from Iraq in the two years following the 2001 terrorist attacks. "

"The study was posted Tuesday on the Web site of the Center for Public Integrity, which worked with the Fund for Independence in Journalism. White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said he could not comment on the study because he had not seen it.

The study counted 935 false statements in the two-year period. It found that in speeches, briefings, interviews and other venues, Bush and administration officials stated unequivocally on at least 532 occasions that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction or was trying to produce or obtain them or had links to al-Qaida or both.

"It is now beyond dispute that Iraq did not possess any weapons of mass destruction or have meaningful ties to al-Qaida," according to Charles Lewis and Mark Reading-Smith of the Fund for Independence in Journalism staff members, writing an overview of the study. "In short, the Bush administration led the nation to war on the basis of erroneous information that it methodically propagated and that culminated in military action against Iraq on March 19, 2003."

Named in the study along with Bush were top officials of the administration during the period studied: Vice President Dick Cheney, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Colin Powell, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz and White House press secretaries Ari Fleischer and Scott McClellan.

Bush led with 259 false statements, 231 about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and 28 about Iraq's links to al-Qaida, the study found. That was second only to Powell's 244 false statements about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and 10 about Iraq and al-Qaida."

First off, all of those "lies" were related to one of two statements- that Iraq had WMDs or that they had ties to Al-Qaeda.

I wonder if this "study" includes Clinton, Reid, Kennedy, Gore, and all the other Democrats who believed Saddam was a threat and needed to be disarmed. Almost everyone believed that Saddam had WMDs, but to call them liars or to suggest that any of their statements were "lies" is.... well, just that: a lie. Making a statement based on bad intelligence is NOT a "lie."

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this "nonprofit study" didn't do too bad with George Soros funding it.

I'm just saying, I've heard no one in the media mention that Soros is behind this study, and I've heard no one say that some Democrats in Congress (including some currently running for president) made those exact same statements. Is it really that much trouble to slip in those little details? Unless they don't want to for some reason, but that's unfathomable....:scratch:

By the way, there's a difference between a statement that is later proven false and a lie.

Last edited:
Re: Re: 935 lies

2861U2 said:

I wonder if this "study" includes Clinton, Reid, Kennedy, Gore, and all the other Democrats who believed Saddam was a threat and needed to be disarmed. Almost everyone believed that Saddam had WMDs, but to call them liars or to suggest that any of their statements were "lies" is.... well, just that: a lie. Making a statement based on bad intelligence is NOT a "lie."

yes, but none of them thought that either intelligence claim was worth going to war over, now did they.

Back
Top Bottom