9/11: The most over-rated thing ever? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2002, 06:38 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:16 AM
9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

Is it just me or is Sept.11 way over-rated? Now, I know people died and building collapsed and stuff but don't you think America has taken it too far? I just saw a commercial for a book about 9/11 called The Day the World Collapsed. I think America (not really the people of America) want the world to pity them so much. People call 9/11 the greatest tragedy to America in the last 100 years. That isnt the real tragety though. The real tragety is in the streets of America where people are being raped, kidnapped, killed, and more EVERY SINGLE DAY. So is the reason 9/11 is so important is because someone else other than America itself has caused the trouble?

Old 09-08-2002, 06:55 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

i'm not sure how great your timing is on this...

Old 09-08-2002, 06:59 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 11:16 AM
I dunno, timing could be perfect... depending on how well the quality of debate goes.

I implore anyone who is about to say something rude/personal/insane to think it over before they post it.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 09-08-2002, 07:00 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 10:16 PM
I am over it all- I plan on watching a lot of videos on Sept 11 cause all that is going to be on the telly here in Australia is related to the events- I know what happened and I have seen all of the images countless times- I dotn need to see them all again- I think it is right to mourn and feel sad however I believe that we should also mourn all of the other countless people the world over who have been displaced or killed in the name of futile and pathetic wars......and by the way, my world did not collapse on Sept 11 last year, all that happened to me was that a lot of things that I had always suspected were made true and varified, it is sad that innocent people had to die, but from where I see it there is so much more to these events and utlimatley neither side those being Al Queda, America, Muslim, Christian are ever going to admit that they are ultimately wrong, anyway!!!!
Old 09-08-2002, 07:05 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

speaking personally, i am not over it. i am still heartbroken. this week is already overwhelming for me and reading something like this on the board today makes me feel worse. thanks.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:11 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by OzAurora
I am over it all- I plan on watching a lot of videos on Sept 11 cause all that is going to be on the telly here in Australia is related to the events- I know what happened and I have seen all of the images countless times- I dotn need to see them all again- I think it is right to mourn and feel sad however I believe that we should also mourn all of the other countless people the world over who have been displaced or killed in the name of futile and pathetic wars......and by the way, my world did not collapse on Sept 11 last year, all that happened to me was that a lot of things that I had always suspected were made true and varified, it is sad that innocent people had to die, but from where I see it there is so much more to these events and utlimatley neither side those being Al Queda, America, Muslim, Christian are ever going to admit that they are ultimately wrong, anyway!!!!
I agree. It is possible to pound something into the ground. I just dont think most people realise that.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:14 PM   #7
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:16 AM
While I don't plan on taking part in any public observance or ceremony, I will not be able to help but think about it on Wednesday...I hate to think about it because it is hard, but I'm sure I'll take a personal moment in my day to reflect on it internally.

However...I don't think "overrated" is a good term to describe the terrorist attack that we faced (and still have to deal with).

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-08-2002, 07:52 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by OzAurora
and by the way, my world did not collapse on Sept 11

my world didn't collapse, but it changed my view on the world...
Old 09-08-2002, 07:55 PM   #9
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 03:16 AM
Re: 9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenStar
Is it just me or is Sept.11 way over-rated? Now, I know people died and building collapsed and stuff but don't you think America has taken it too far? I just saw a commercial for a book about 9/11 called The Day the World Collapsed. I think America (not really the people of America) want the world to pity them so much. People call 9/11 the greatest tragedy to America in the last 100 years. That isnt the real tragety though. The real tragety is in the streets of America where people are being raped, kidnapped, killed, and more EVERY SINGLE DAY. So is the reason 9/11 is so important is because someone else other than America itself has caused the trouble?
Overrated? A building collapsed and people died and stuff?

Would you feel this way if it happened in Canada?
Old 09-08-2002, 08:02 PM   #10
Refugee

Re: Re: 9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Overrated? A building collapsed and people died and stuff?

Would you feel this way if it happened in Canada?
Aye, I would feel this way if it happened to Canada. I'm just not sure if Canada would have to put sept.11 on hats, pins, tshirts, buttons, rings, pendants, bracelets, necklaces, mousepads, underware, card decks, etc. You dont see Ireland advertising the Troubles all over the place like that.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:11 PM   #11
BAW
The Flower

Re: Re: Re: 9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

Quote:

Aye, I would feel this way if it happened to Canada. I'm just not sure if Canada would have to put sept.11 on hats, pins, tshirts, buttons, rings, pendants, bracelets, necklaces, mousepads, underware, card decks, etc. You dont see Ireland advertising the Troubles all over the place like that.
Okay, so I'll agree with you that profiting from a tragedy is wrong, no matter where it happens. But if that is what you're tired of hearing and seeing, try and separate that from what actually took place that day. It was quite a bit more serious than a some people dying and building collapsing.

4 planes crashed, 2 buildings were destroyed, another badly damaged and THOUSANDS of lives were lost. My country was attacked by terrorists.

This was not a TV movie or a CD, this was real life.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:12 PM   #12
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Re: 9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

Quote:
Now, I know people died and building collapsed and stuff
Wow, that's a nice way to put it.

I try to avoid overly patriotic sentiments, but I still think that the deaths of nearly 3,000 innocent persons of DOZENS of nationalities is a pretty big deal, and does not fit into the "and stuff" category.

I really, really want to close this thread.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:16 PM   #13
BAW
The Flower

Re: Re: 9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

I really, really want to close this thread.

I hear that...if I put my true feelings about this thread into words, I'd probably be banned.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:44 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:16 AM
Normal excuse me while i wipe away my tears.

Quote:
I think America (not really the people of America) want the world to pity them so much.
excuse me? i know you aren't american, so perhaps you weren't really as violated as i was. but let me tell you that it is not in any way a pleasant feeling. people say we brought it on ourselves, is THAT the pity we were allegedly searching for? we aren't LOOKING for PITY on this at all. we were attacked. in front of our faces 3000+ people DIED. we don't NEED sympathy or pity.

i don't know that you watched the same broadcast as i did, where people were waving towels out of their office windows above the attack line and then they were gone. i saw them...then they were gone. for no reason. people jumped to their deaths and dozens of people survived the collapse then STARVED because they were not rescued in time.

and your separation of america and its people is ludicrous, america is made up of its people.

much like screaming flower, i am NOT ok with this. i am NOT healed and i don't know exactly when i will be, if ever. what i do know is a year ago today my life was normal. i didn't have flashbacks of the towers collapsing, and sometimes when i shut my eyes i didn't see people falling to their deaths in front of my eyes. now that is something i do not over-rate.

people on this board lost their loved ones in the attack. they watched this happen from their office windows. had you seen it in person, would you still call it passe?

i know that it may seem old, dealing with this same issue everyday, but it is scary. you don't live in a place that could potentially bombed on any given day at any given time and this post is an indication to me that you have the luxury of that safety.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:46 PM   #15
Creator of the Blue Crack

Re: Re: Re: 9/11: The most over-rated thing ever?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

I hear that...if I put my true feelings about this thread into words, I'd probably be banned.
I will.

If people arent reminded of such horror, it will giveway for history to repeat itself. This was the largest loss of human life in America by a foreign entity. I really dont give a rats ass if people are making money off of it... all the products help to remind people that this was no small event.

This was not a war, with a battleship hit, and navy men dying... this wasnt even a military base attacked... this was thousands of innocent people attacked, and murdered, in an incredibly cowardly way.

If you fail to understand this, perhaps you should take a minute to imagine that the person you loved the most in the world, parent or otherwise, was killed on 9/11 -- for NO FUCKING reason other than they were American, or just happen to be working in a civilian BUILDING.

This reminds me of the SICK people that say 'Oh the holocaust was no big deal.' or.. 'What was the holocaust?'

Get your head checked Ravenstar.

Joel

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.