9/11: The most over-rated thing ever? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2002, 10:14 PM   #61
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:31 PM
Ok, its my turn to state my opinion and make you all pissed off at me.

In terms of merchandising and media coverage, its way out of control. TV stations are doing this to get ratings and give Americans what they want to see.

But I admit I am offended that those of you who call yourselves Americans try to attach yourselves to the tragedy the way you are in this discussion. Yes this was an attack on America but it was also an attack on New York. All these so-called Americans who thought NYC was smelly and dirty and filled with rude people before Sept. 11 turned around and said everyone was a New Yorker and they loved this city. And yet when the chips were down, they sent us a check, turned off the TV and became isolationist and closed minded instead of trying to understand why people hate us. I feel some of you are doing that in this thread-- the whole they attacked America-- and that lack of understanding is putting all of us in danger again.

I'm really sorry you all had to watch this tragedy on TV but I was there in person. I was two blocks away from the south tower when it collapsed. I still know what those buildings tasted like, what that cloud of debris looked like, what it felt like to think I was going to die. And yet the last time I was down at Ground Zero [two weeks ago] there were a bunch of amusement park tourists smiling with a big gapping hole behind them as if the trade center was still a tourist attraction.

I'm glad you all feel the pain of what happened that day but don't try and act like because you're an American you're a martyr. You got to watch it on TV and forget about it until the anniversary. I wish I could have done that.

Old 09-08-2002, 10:15 PM   #62
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RavenStar
Like I said. Being killed, raped, etc, is NOT lucky. Having lived in a good country IS lucky.
Yes...it's nice that they were able to live in a good country. However, nothing can justify or soften such a tragic ending to an innocent person's life.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-08-2002, 10:17 PM   #63
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Ok, its my turn to state my opinion and make you all pissed off at me.

In terms of merchandising and media coverage, its way out of control. TV stations are doing this to get ratings and give Americans what they want to see.

But I admit I am offended that those of you who call yourselves Americans try to attach yourselves to the tragedy the way you are in this discussion. Yes this was an attack on America but it was also an attack on New York. All these so-called Americans who thought NYC was smelly and dirty and filled with rude people before Sept. 11 turned around and said everyone was a New Yorker and they loved this city. And yet when the chips were down, they sent us a check, turned off the TV and became isolationist and closed minded instead of trying to understand why people hate us. I feel some of you are doing that in this thread-- the whole they attacked America-- and that lack of understanding is putting all of us in danger again.

I'm really sorry you all had to watch this tragedy on TV but I was there in person. I was two blocks away from the south tower when it collapsed. I still know what those buildings tasted like, what that cloud of debris looked like, what it felt like to think I was going to die. And yet the last time I was down at Ground Zero [two weeks ago] there were a bunch of amusement park tourists smiling with a big gapping hole behind them as if the trade center was still a tourist attraction.

I'm glad you all feel the pain of what happened that day but don't try and act like because you're an American you're a martyr. You got to watch it on TV and forget about it until the anniversary. I wish I could have done that.
I couldnt agree with you more. Very well said. Man, I suck at explaining things.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:18 PM   #64
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

I can understand where you are coming from. The events of September 11th touched every American (and so many, many other people in the world) and continue to do so. However, I would never go so far as to say we were all equally affected. Those like you who witnessed it firsthand definitely have it a lot harder than those of us who witnessed it on the TV while sitting on our comfy couches.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-08-2002, 10:18 PM   #65
Refugee

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Not being kicked in teh head on a daily basis..is lucky....what's your point?

tragedy is tragedy...life is life..no matter where you live.

and I dont' think you understand that some of us knew people in those towers
Old 09-08-2002, 10:18 PM   #66
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

Yes...it's nice that they were able to live in a good country. However, nothing can justify or soften such a tragic ending to an innocent person's life.
I never said it does. Im just saying it could have been worse.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:20 PM   #67
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Arun V
Not being kicked in teh head on a daily basis..is lucky....what's your point?

tragedy is tragedy...life is life..no matter where you live.

and I dont' think you understand that some of us knew people in those towers
I knew people in those towers too. One of them got out, the other didnt. Life is not just life. There is a good life, and a not so good life. Living in America usually means a good life. Living in Africa usually means a not so good life.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:25 PM   #68
Refugee

Local Time: 11:31 PM
OK..let's look at teh other side of YOUR argument

if 3,000 africans died in a manner similar to sept 11th

should I feel glad because tehy were liberated of a life of suffering????

certainly not....though what's happening in Africa is terrible

it does not make sept 11th any less tragic

and for you to assign degrees of value to human life based on the affluence and freedoms they are afforded is wrong.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:25 PM   #69
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Your views re this topic come accross as being "sub-human"

Your understanding of Satanism doent espouse subhuman beliefs does it?
i was once called subhuman by an aethist. who is also jewish. by saying he's jewish i mean his parents are jewish, and he celebrates jewish holidays with them. yet he called himself an aethist. i know this has nothing to do with the topic, but i was kinda hoping to confuse everyone.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:26 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenStar
I couldnt agree with you more. Very well said. Man, I suck at explaining things.
give me a fucking break and make up your mind already. why don't you actually think first and then say what you mean rather than backpeddle and try and jump on board the first intelligent response that you agree with. you've changed "what you meant" three times already. this thread is a joke.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:35 PM   #71
Refugee

I also believe that it's an issue of America wanted pity for their punishment. What do I mean by punishment? Well, I guess I'm refering to the rape, murder and betrayal of the U.S. government and everything it stands for. I also refer to the hundreds of millions of Native Americans who never got an annual remembrance for their ancestors deathes that occured year after year for over 500 years and counting.

We should forget this is anything special and move on with our lives. We should start caring for the living. The dying in Africa, the ignorant in Asia, the souless in America. These are much more prudent in our current times.

Amen....
Old 09-08-2002, 10:36 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower

give me a fucking break and make up your mind already. why don't you actually think first and then say what you mean rather than backpeddle and try and jump on board the first intelligent response that you agree with. you've changed "what you meant" three times already. this thread is a joke.
I think that this thread is starting to become a joke to. I think that Ravenstar doesnt quite know how to say what she wants to say and hasnt lived long enough to understand where all the rest of us are coming from.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:46 PM   #73
Blue Crack Distributor

Get your head out of your ass and try thinking before you speak, RS.

This thread is a fucking joke if I ever saw one.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:51 PM   #74
Refugee

I also wanted to say that I'm terribly sorry for all the type-os that appear in my posts. Sorry, sorry, sorry

The tragedy that occured last year wasn't a happy moment for anyone with a heart. Innocent people were killed. I would have rather seen the terrorist at least attempt to direct their actions toward the people who were responsible for their anger (No, I'm not hinting at anyone in particular). At least THEN, it would make sense, but killing innocent janitors, salesmen, and firefighters (who demand respect in any culture), was sad and brought many tears to my eye (I only have one eye do to a boating accident).

Let's just look at the big picture. This is drop in the bucket when we consider the crimes against humanity that have plague our nations and others since the beginning of time.

Didn't we have closure last year? If not, why NOT!?!?!

This is a great discussion.

Elvis and mods: thanks for leaving it open.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:52 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:31 PM

this is touchy everyone, let's make sure that we aren't making personal shots and that we be sure to read posts carefully before we respond.

thank you,

lilly