9/11 Overload? Post here. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2002, 08:02 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:17 AM
9/11 Overload? Post here.

I've had the TV on a little less than 30 minutes, and I've already decided that, unfortunately, we are simply doing TOO MUCH to remember 9/11: I fear that we will become burned out over the coverage.

We should (and do) remember, but hearing this on THE WEATHER CHANNEL is f---ing absurd.

If anyone finds this to be too much or simply wants to complain about a specific decision on the part of a single TV network, website, etc., feel free to post here.

I'll begin:

MTV: they're taking the opportunity today to play meaningful music videos, like R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" ("Everybody Hurts" is sure to be in the rotation today), but they just now played Kid Rock's "Only God Knows Why," his ballad in which he bitches about being successful.

What a POOR, TASTELESS choice.

(As another aside, it's a sad state of affairs that MTV is only watchable when they do stuff like this.)

Bubba

Old 09-11-2002, 08:27 AM   #2
Banned

200% right

and on internet also, EVERYWHERE . radio all chanells , tv all channels , this is too much

Old 09-11-2002, 09:04 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:17 AM
I agree Bubba... it's been too much for the past WEEK! Some shows I find interesting (like exactly how the towers collapsed), others I find too disturbing and others I find too distasteful.

As twisted as this might sound, one of the thoughts that ran through my head a year ago was how I would have to relive the events of 9/11/01 via TV, radio and the 'net for years to come. I can only hope that the rest of these events are broadcast gracefully today.

Of course, instead of watching TV, playing on the 'net, or listening to radio, perhaps we can do something good today. Let us spend this day helping someone in need. Let us spend it with a friend. Let us spend it with family. Let us turn off the world around us and focus on what is most important. Let this one day not be only about patriotism, but about love. Yeah... I know it sounds corny...but perhaps this one day of love - instead of just remembrance - can be the beginning of so much more.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:10 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't know if I agree that it's too much...I just watched the Today Show for about a half an hour, and that was really hard...but at least I can turn off the TV and make it "go away." I can't even begin to imagine how those who lost loved ones on this day last year are feeling.

God Bless America!
Old 09-11-2002, 09:14 AM   #5
Banned

god bless all of us , peace on earth , justice to criminals and terrorists

Walk On !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Old 09-11-2002, 09:16 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm listen to Elevation right now...I listened to the first few bars of Walk On and just couldn't handle it...
Old 09-11-2002, 09:27 AM   #7
Banned

put on Joshua tree

Old 09-11-2002, 10:12 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

yes, i'm overloaded already. I'd say that 90% of the people on my buddy list have profiles or away messages containing such phrases as "god bless america," "we remember," etc...etc...etc...(i find their attempts at patriotism to seem very shallow, like it's cool to mourn) and on top of that there's TV, internet, and radio like everyone has mentioned.

Let us never forget what happened on this day, but we've got to leave it behind.

God bless the world.

fuck the past, kiss the future...
Old 09-11-2002, 10:26 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I for one have no intention of complaining about coverage.

I have the LUXURY of being able to hit an off button. The people who survived that day or who lost their loved ones do not have that luxury. Those people are gathering today where their loved ones died, and where some of them are buried, as they were never recovered. I can't even imagine what they are feeling today.

Sorry, but what the media chooses to do is of no importance to me. Today I am reflecting on what happened a year ago. I am counting my blessings, especially the blessing that I didn't lose any friends or family that day. What I am feeling in my heart cannot be affected in any way by a TV or radio show.

I have no intention of getting into any sort of 'argument' about this issue. Today, of all days, is not a day for arguing. Those of us who are able to can hug our loved ones and be eternally grateful that we can choose to turn or off a radio or TV today and every other day that we have that luxury.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:33 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Well said, Gina Marie.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:53 AM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 03:17 PM
I'm glad the coverage is there for those who want it. Like you, I turned off the TV after 30 minutes. Now I have the Elevation DVD on and I'm enjoying time with my wife.

God bless all the INNOCENT souls that died on that day and God bless America.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:05 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know what's going on because I made a conscious decision to turn off my TV today. There are better ways to reflect than staring at Aaron Brown's overly tanned face.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:24 AM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 09:17 AM
I turned it off after I heard Matt Lauer say in a chipper voice, "It's now 40 minutes past the hour. Let's go back to Katie at ground zero", like it was the Thanksgiving Day parade.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:05 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Gina Marie
I for one have no intention of complaining about coverage.

I have the LUXURY of being able to hit an off button. The people who survived that day or who lost their loved ones do not have that luxury. Those people are gathering today where their loved ones died, and where some of them are buried, as they were never recovered. I can't even imagine what they are feeling today.

Sorry, but what the media chooses to do is of no importance to me. Today I am reflecting on what happened a year ago. I am counting my blessings, especially the blessing that I didn't lose any friends or family that day. What I am feeling in my heart cannot be affected in any way by a TV or radio show.

I have no intention of getting into any sort of 'argument' about this issue. Today, of all days, is not a day for arguing. Those of us who are able to can hug our loved ones and be eternally grateful that we can choose to turn or off a radio or TV today and every other day that we have that luxury.
Well said.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:53 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:17 PM
I agree. The press is absolutely drenching itself in...........I don't know why they have to show this on TV, over and over......it's insane. Yes, remember, but this is hysteria and madness. I suppose some people honestly feel like it's impossible to discuss anything else..........but I don't. Life is here, and now........I think that's the way to do it. Get on with your life, not all of this dwelling on this............