84 years ago, the world was supposed to start over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
never again. never again was it supposed to happen. it was november 11, 1918 and germany was defeated in world war 1.

it was estimated that 10 million people, who werent just a name but a person, lost their life in the war to end all wars.

a few years later, in the early 1920's, on one of the war fields, flowers were seen growing that had never grown in those parts before. because of a certain chemical saturated into the soil, the poppy was allowed to grow. its red pedals were to remind everyone of the blood shed of those who who had falled to the smoking gun.

today, there remain few veterans who survived the war. with each passing anniversary, fewer and fewer of them remain, as they are all 97 years old or older.

has the world become a better place?

the year is 1939, and apparently not.

6 years later the world asks, and tens of millions of lives later, have we fixed our differences yet?

5 years later were on to korea. fortunately, this war was not as brutal in terms of casualties.

a few years later its on to vietnam, where soldiers are told they are serving their country, but deep inside have no idea what they are fighting for. they wont return as heroes like in past wars, rather they will be seen as victims of a corrupt administration.

from here on, the wars got smaller in scale, but more numerous in occasions.

until the 1990's.

the gulf war begins, and though casualties are limited, evidence that chemical warfare had taken place, takes its toll on returning soldiers with unidentifiable diseases.

the war is not won by anyone, but perhaps iraq had the last laugh. that was until the un threw sanctions on them, which has since been blamed for the death of thousands of innocent citizens.

ofcourse, their "president" is not one of prestige and honour.

fastforward a few years, and were in the balkans, once envied for their lush scenery, now the scene of mass genocide and an ongoing civil war.

today, it would appear as though they are finally rebuilding.

the war on terror, the war wich many people will never end until the world does, was unleashed in october of 2001.

now the world braces for whats next.

and while we brace, and are ready to accept the consequences of war, we forget the war that was supposed to end all wars.

the memories of such terror of 1914-1918, forgotten.

in canada, poppy sales are incredible this year. 3 million more were sold this year compared to last. why, you ask?

one veteran said it was his guess because of the war on terror, and the support people are showing for it.

if that is really the case, whatever importance the poppy once held, the flower lost all relevance to the general public.

the poppy was used to remember the fallen, and how we are to honour the dead, but not the war and definately not the politics.

so please, if you were a poppy, wear it for the right reason. dont wear it to support a cause, rather wear it to show you remember what noone in governments around the world seem to.

Last edited:
In a word ?YES? the world is a much better place.

It is not unreasonable that people believed THE WORLD WAR would end all wars.
It was a brutal and horrible war. The parties starting it were not successful.

What was learned from WWI and applied after WWII. That the losers could not be left to fester and rearm and give it a go again.

Woodrow Wilson pushed for A League of Nations after WWI. He was not successful.

The United Nations came into being after WWII and has been very successful. Almost 60 years, and no major wars. All wars are horrible, millions have been slaughter in regional wars. But, many wars have been averted.

Many Americans do not like the UN. Just because the US can not dictate the exact terms in every situation. They lose their minds like little children throwing tantrums.

If the US takes Saddam out, and believe me that is the goal, remember regime change. There will be a lot of hollering and some destabilization. But, it will be nothing like all the hell that would have broke loose if the US acted unilaterally without coercing the UN to go along.

There will always be conflicts/wars. It could be a lot worse. The world is a better place. Don?t believe the hype.

Last edited:
deep said:
In a word ?YES? the world is a much better place.

They lose their mines like little children throwing tantrums.

The world is a better place. Don?t believe the hype.

Lose their "mines"?:huh:

Like 'deep in the diamond "mine", mind?":huh::sexywink:

Other than that deep, I agree w you the world is a better place
and we shouldnt believe the hype:up:

DB9
:cool:

Last edited:
Sure, you qualify to be the spell checker.

:yes:Last edited by diamond on 11-10-2002 at 01:57 PM

Last edited:
personally, I'm afraid(but not) of the false world peace that is to come.

It wont be long after that.

Those of you who've read Revelations know what i'm talkin about. Its all inevitable.

I pray that everyone finds Jesus before those times.

Hope i havent offended anyone. :|

how lovely for this innocent thread to be shuffled to free your mind. there was a reason why this was in lemonade stand! its rememberance day long weekend! can that not be acknowledged in the general forum?!

Lemonade Stand
Off-topic forum. Drop in, order a glass of lemonade and talk with other U2 fans about what you're listening to, reading, looking at, watching, or a hobby.

Free Your Mind
This is an off-topic forum. Discuss politics, spirituality, religion, world events.
:scratch:

it fits in. everyone gets the day off work/school, surely something this big can fit into lemonade stand.

which mod did this? usually they post and give explanations, but none where given. why?

Agreed Bear. Coulda been in LS.

Nice little buddhist girl has to talk now though.

I am scared out of my mind right now. While I have been hiding in Europe things for my home country have been getting worse and worse. I am scared of what America is going to do to the rest of the world, the rest of the world who wants nothing to do with our war for oil.
I was raised to understand that ignorance is the cause of all human suffering, and I feel that that is very applicable in this situation. Americans are scared because we don't understand why we are the target of so much hatred. I know now. I have spent the past five months doing nothing but hanging out with people from all over Europe and alot of refugees from the Middle East. They feel that we have lost all sight of the inherent good of people in our quest to get more and be more.
I am scared of our war to protect our freedom to consume at all costs. And I feel that this war is going to be alot like WW1 in that it is going to be fought mainly over monetary issues, not human ones. Unfotunately I have no say in what is going to happen.
I am afraid about all the talk of reinstating the draft (particuarly the bit about not giving educational immunity and about closing the canadian boarders to those trying to flee.) Where's the glory in forcing those who want no part in violence to fight? If my good little brilliant sensitive loving Buddhist brothers are going to be forced to fight, my family is talking about changing our citizenship - and we don't want to. There is alot of wonderful things about my home. I love it to death and although I am scared about the war like nature of it at the moment I am excited to go back and resume my life there.
There is a way out of this though other than through bloodshed. Violence against muslim countries (aka Iraq, Afganistan, etc.) is not helping our cause. Rather it ensures that a generation of children raised in war and poverty and hunger is going to resent the US just as much as their elders. We should be building schools and handing out free food, not dropping it in mine fields. We should be helping. Set up schools in Iraq and start feeding them again and the people wpould come to us and help us. They have no love for their "president" and the fact that we are starving them means nothing to him. The Muslims are a beautiful prayerful people and I have may close friends among them. I think it is time America started putting the pieces of their countries back together instead of forgetting them once we have the oil we need. They would be wonderful allies and friends.

Anyway, Buddhist girl has spoken her peace. I pray alot every night and I know my family does too. We are all holding our breath. All I can say is
NOT IN OUR NAME AND WITH OUR MONEY.

Thanks for this Bear. I appreciate the thread.

notiti, that response is the best thing that could have happened to this thread. perfectly said, thanks for throwing that in here.

unfortunately since your a buddhist and im a perfect christian, and you have some desirable possessions that i want for a lower price than what your offering to sell them to me for, i will be forced to either

a) throw sanctions on you

b) go to war against you and create a massive propaganda front to make you look weak, stubborn, uninformed and most importantly WRONG.

joking ofcourse...

thanks again notiti!

Back
Top Bottom