8/22/06???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
Since Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran feels that his job is to get rid of Isralies and Americans to help "set free" the muslims of the world, he has threatend us on the date of 8/22/06. What do you guys think of this? Is he really going to do something? Bush is taking this very seriously and has us on full allert. This shit is getting crazy!!!

Last edited:
as long as the missile hits George W. right between the eyes and doesn't hurt anyone else, i'm all for it.

gherman said:
Since Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran feels that his job is to get rid of Isralies and Americans to help "set free" the muslims of the world, he has threatend us on the date of 8/22/06.
Where are you getting this from? The only media story I know of relaying anything like this is an opinion piece from last Tuesday's Wall Street Journal by the historian Bernard Lewis:
Ahmadinejad and his followers clearly believe that this time is now, and that the terminal struggle has already begun and is indeed well advanced. It may even have a date, indicated by several references by the Iranian president to giving his final answer to the U.S. about nuclear development by Aug. 22. This year, Aug. 22 corresponds, in the Islamic calendar, to the 27th day of the month of Rajab of the year 1427. This, by tradition, is the night when many Muslims commemorate the night flight of the Prophet Muhammad on the winged horse Buraq, first to "the farthest mosque," usually identified with Jerusalem, and then to heaven and back (c.f., Qur'an XVII.1). This might well be deemed an appropriate date for the apocalyptic ending of Israel and if necessary of the world. It is far from certain that Ahmadinejad plans cataclysmic events precisely for Aug. 22. But it would be wise to bear the possibility in mind.

Chizip said:
Yeah, but this is just repeating what I already posted--Bernard Lewis' *speculations* about the possible symbolic significance of Ahmadinejad's having named 8/22 as the date by which Iran will give its "final answer" to the US on its nuclear development plans. Hannity doesn't present any confirming quotes from Ahmadinejad (note his choice of wording, "implied"--though even that's highly disingenuous) or any other new information to substantiate that speculation. (Plus, as Judah points out, 8/22 happens to be the end of the Iranian month of Mordad--several news stories I've seen now, quoting or paraphrasing Lewis, make a big deal out of the "fact" that Ahmadinejad had earlier said "by the end of August," then changed it to "by August 22," as if the clarification necessarily heralds something ominous, when in fact what he'd originally said was "by the end of Mordad" which is August 22.)

Even if one thinks Lewis is onto something with his speculations, it's still irresponsible to present it as "Ahmadinejad Threatens U.S.!!!"

Bush would have more (American) public support in going after Iran than he has ever had in Iraq, even after all that has transpired.

I believe that.

I haven't paid my bills in the last fortnight in eager anticipation of the end of the world. I'm going to start drinking pretty soon.

Chizip said:
todays the big day :hyper:

join us, chiptits. i drank and forgot to pay my bills. slightly different order to tyler shavers over here, but i'm doing my bit for the end of civilisation as we know it.

What if he actually meant the end of August? muhahahahaha

We have a whole week left till the 31st!!!!

Let's make it more interesting than bill-avoidance and a few drinks...:sexywink:

What would you do with one week left to life as you know it?

This thread pretty much says it all about the poor state of the 'discussions' on this forum of late. A thread I posted recently with a link to a serious book revew from Simon Jenkins about how government and media overstate the terra threat got very little response but here were are wittering away about INTERNET RUMOURS.

I'm sorry you're disappointed in the response to your thread, but this is the wrong thread to point to and complain about. There are only 10 more replies (now 11) to this thread than to yours.

Take a look at the front page - there's plenty of good discussion going on in other threads. I don't think that equals lack of good discussion in this forum.

financeguy said:
This thread pretty much says it all about the poor state of the 'discussions' on this forum of late. A thread I posted recently with a link to a serious book revew from Simon Jenkins about how government and media overstate the terra threat got very little response but here were are wittering away about INTERNET RUMOURS.

i also think it's late august and many people are on vacation.

but i agree -- past few days have been slow, but then again i was away for three of them, so what can you do?

i can start picking fights if you'd like ... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom