7 Year Old Special Needs Student Handcuffed - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:49 PM
The boy I spoke of was 'hyper.'

I also have to add that, sadly, I have known parents who also threaten their kids with the cops, the crazy house, even the cable man (telling them he's watching through the TV set!) My brother's wife used to threaten her kids with trolls and giant frogs.

I'm sorry to admit, as a kid, I used to threaten my little brother with attack by Indians (he was afraid of them back then, unfairly, because of westerns) Whenever he acted up, I'd go around the corner and make whooping war calls, and he'd cry and run away

Old 05-03-2005, 12:43 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
You can't just let an out of control child rampage, especially after he kicks someone in the throat. Some type of restraints had to be used for his safety and the safety of others. I'm sure some people will think its harsh and it was probably very hard for the school staff and the police themselves but it had to be done. A lot of people tend to forget the human side of police officers...some have children of their own and even if they don't, it can't be easy to deal with these situations.

If that child had broken away and run into the street or hurt himself during this episode, the same people saying the handcuffs were cruel would be asking why he wasn't restrained. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I completely agree with Char. I used to spend 8 hours a day with a 6 year old who had some mental issues (ADHD, bipolar). This is not your average "hyper" kid; he was either completely zoned out in a depressive state or totally off the wall. Sometimes, he would get so out of control that I'd have to put him in a head lock to settle him down. Go ahead and call me a child abuser, etc., but let's see how you'd deal with a crazy kid that is so out of control he's a threat to himself and everyone else around him. Do I LIKE doing that? Hell no! But I sure don't like an insane kid throwing himself into walls, down the stairs, screaming, yelling, and punching anything in sight either. Kids like this ARE very strong; they have no fear, no rationality when they go into such a state.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
The boy I spoke of was 'hyper.'

I also have to add that, sadly, I have known parents who also threaten their kids with the cops, the crazy house, even the cable man (telling them he's watching through the TV set!) My brother's wife used to threaten her kids with trolls and giant frogs.

I'm sorry to admit, as a kid, I used to threaten my little brother with attack by Indians (he was afraid of them back then, unfairly, because of westerns) Whenever he acted up, I'd go around the corner and make whooping war calls, and he'd cry and run away
But that's completely different than what we have here. Parents or teachers who don't know how to properly raise a child and like to maliciously threaten them is different from a kid who IS completely out of control and needs to be physically restrained by a police officer.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:49 PM
yeah...i think handcuffing is a last minute resort in this type of situation. i dont blame them at all.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:49 PM
They did the right thing, there really was no choice. When a kid is in this kind of state he's an unguided missile.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by stammer476

It's very easy to sit back and critique the situation afterwards. Much more difficult to make decisions while the child is acting like that.
I agree completely, I don't mean to second guess the police officers- I'm sure they tried their best to do other things before they used the handcuffs. I think the issue w/ handcuffs is that they have such a criminal stigma to them, and they must be painful.

It sounds like he was extremely violent, I don't know how teachers and police deal w/ a situation like that.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #22
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I agree completely, I don't mean to second guess the police officers- I'm sure they tried their best to do other things before they used the handcuffs. I think the issue w/ handcuffs is that they have such a criminal stigma to them, and they must be painful.

It sounds like he was extremely violent, I don't know how teachers and police deal w/ a situation like that.
I see your point here...maybe on children, they should use plastic restraints instead of actual handcuffs. Or maybe even the same type of restraints doctors use when they are doing a medical procedure on a small child. Its a soft "papoose" style thing that restrains a child's arms so they can't flail around when they're getting stitches.

I'm guessing in most cases though the police aren't really expecting to have to restrain a small child and have to make a quick judgement call when it actually happens.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:38 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes, the student should have been cuffed for his own safety as well as the safety of others.

I am not sure about the charging of the student. The article does not list what other special needs there were. I would be curious to know what they are.

Hitting, kicking, punching and biting happens all the time in my building, but we have autistic children.

ADD, ADHD are NOT excuses for this behavior.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:49 PM
this is slightly off topic but...this brings back memories of when i was going thru a divorce. daisy was around 5 years old then. everytime her father had picked her up and dropped her off from his weekend with her, she would go into fits of rage. chased him down the street because she didnt want her father to leave. trying to restrain a child who is so distraught is hard as hell. and i consider myself pretty strong. yeah...those cops had no other choice.