7 Die in accident from one Family!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes its horrible, what else are we supposed to say? millions of people die every day, and they dont all get their own FYM thread!

Kieran McConville said:
yes its horrible, what else are we supposed to say? millions of people die every day, and they dont all get their own FYM thread!

That was pretty rude.

Now CNN says that the grandfather had a massive heart attack upon hearing the news and died. :(

Bonochick said:
Now CNN says that the grandfather had a massive heart attack upon hearing the news and died. :(

Yes - and wasn't it so nice that the media was there to talk to the mother of the children whose father it was who died. She was barely coherent and sobbing, but the news media got their soundbite. And the completely unemotional and hastily muttered "sorry" by the newscaster was especially touching.

By KELLI KENNEDY, Associated Press Writer 27 minutes ago

Barbara and Terry Mann were supposed to complete their adoption of a 20-month-old boy on Thursday. Instead, they were planning funerals for him and six young relatives — all killed in a fiery car wreck.

The accident Wednesday cast a pall over this small town of about 2,000 people in northern Florida. After hearing of the accident, Barbara Mann's grief-stricken father suffered a heart attack and died.

"It's hard to fathom what it's like to lose five children, two nieces and a father in one shot. It seems like a burden too big to bear," said Scott Fisher, a family spokesman and pastor at the Lake Butler Church of Christ.

Friends and family came together to mourn the deaths as investigators tried to piece together how the three-vehicle accident happened on a clear day on a road free of obstructions.

A tractor-trailer rear-ended the children's car and crushed it against a school bus that had stopped to drop off students, authorities said. The car burst into flames, and everyone inside was killed, including 15-year-old Nicky Mann, who was driving illegally with just a learner's permit and was apparently taking her adopted siblings home from school. Three children on the bus were seriously injured.

Along with Nicky, who was the Manns' biological child, and soon-to-be-adopted Anthony Lamb, the other victims were identified by authorities and friends as three children adopted by the Manns — Elizabeth, 15; Johnny, 13; and Heaven, 3 — and the couple's nieces, Ashley Keen, 13, and Miranda Finn, 8. Authorities had originally identified the victims as seven adopted brothers and sisters.

Members of the community described the Manns as a couple who lovingly and constantly opened their home to foster children.

Tammy Griffins, the church's student ministry director, said: "If foster care called them, it didn't matter what time of night it was when they got called, they were always willing to take them."

"They wanted 10 children," said Wanda Lewis, director of children at Fellowship Baptist Church in Raiford. "They just had a heart for the love of children that no one else wanted, the ones that no one else would have taken."

Lewis said Nicky was "just a fun, loving, caring girl" who doted on her adopted siblings. "She did everything for them, changed their diapers. She was the mother hen," Lewis said.

The children's relatives declined to talk with The Associated Press. But Tina Mann told CNN that her niece Nicky had dropped off another child and was taking her siblings home to get ready for church.

"Even though she was an underage driver, it's my understanding she did not cause the accident," Mann told CNN. "The same thing would have happened had there been an adult in the car with her. We'd just have one more death in the family."

Tara Brown, a sophomore at Lake Butler High School, said that Nicky was her best friend and that she picked up the other children from school every day.

Charges were pending against the 31-year-old truck driver, Alvin Wilkerson of Jacksonville. He suffered minor injuries. There was no answer Thursday at telephone listings for him.

The Florida Highway Patrol initially reported that there were no brake marks on the highway to indicate the trucker tried to stop. But David Rayburn of the National Transportation Safety Board said investigators have not determined that yet.

Authorities were looking into whether the truck had a mechanical failure or the driver was tired or talking on a cell phone, among other possibilities, Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Mike Burroughs said. Also, a sample of Wilkerson's blood will be tested for alcohol, Burroughs said.

The trucker was cited in 2000 for driving with a suspended license and twice, in 2000 and 2001, for operating a vehicle in unsafe condition, according to state officials.

The highway is straight and flat in the area. Four fatal crashes have occurred along that part of the road over the past five years, Burroughs said.

Grief counselors and others were on hand Thursday to help students deal with the tragedy in Lake Butler, which is about 60 miles southwest of Jacksonville.

"We're just talking about all the good times we had with them. And just trying to remember all that. They're just in such shock," Griffins said.

Why kick anyone Period. I though you were against any form of Violence.

I think this was worse than what Sean Penn's brother went through. Mabey Penn's brother died in his sleep.

Justin24 said:
Why kick anyone Period. I though you were against any form of Violence.

I think this was worse than what Sean Penn's brother went through. Mabey Penn's brother died in his sleep.

See that's not really the point.

You're the guy that wants to kick someone in the balls - two days after he lost his brother. Then you will lecture others on their 'disgusting remarks'.

That other topic about kicking someone in the balls is for pure simple fun this thread is a serious matter.

Justin24 said:
That other topic about kicking someone in the balls is for pure simple fun this thread is a serious matter.

I think that if we are going to start a discussion about the thousands of people killed in road accidents and the reasons we tolerate it I'm all for it.

I thought that one of dreadsox's threads were supposed to be used for expressions of outrage. Like the kick 'em in the balls thread. That way we don't have to have a million threads for each bad thing that happens.

Kieran McConville said:
Do you expect me to cry crocodile tears? Do you?

Of course not.

Not responding at all if you don't give a flying fuck would make more sense.

But making sense isn't really a priority, is it?

This thread is about gratuitous displays of outrage and shock, over an event that can and does happen to people all the time, and most usually to people who we can easily relate to. And to people who, I am guessing, none of us know personally in this case.

I wouldn't say I 'don't give a fuck' about vehicle accidents and the death they cause, but don't expect me to join in this particular chorus.

I mean, you might as well cry about Sean Penn's dead brother, because it's on a similar scale. I hear about things like this, I think 'yes, that is a damn shame', but if you think I'm a bad person for not feeling more strongly than that, then fuck you.

I'm wasting my breath of course. You've got me pegged and that's that.

I don't think you're a bad person, I just don't see why you had to come in here and say anything.

I actually agreed with what you initially said, about how so many other tragedies go unreported every day and people don't talk about them, and how there's really not much else to say other than "that's horrible," but then you asked if we expected you to cry crocodile tears.

Who expected you to do anything? It's not like people were waiting here for you to come and make some grand pronouncement of your grief, or lack thereof.

But yeah, the initial response to your first post was a little baffling. You said nothing rude or disgusting.

Anyway. Yes, this is a very sad tragedy. I can't imagine what the other driver must have to go through when he's alert enough to realize what happened.

Last edited:
I think it was reasonable for Kieran to point out that there have been a lot of these types of threads in recent days.

Kieran McConville said:
This thread is about gratuitous displays of outrage and shock, over an event that can and does happen to people all the time, and most usually to people who we can easily relate to. And to people who, I am guessing, none of us know personally in this case.

Bullshit.. You don't have to know someone personally. It's about caring for your fellow man. You don't have to know, cry or care at all. It's not mandatory.
I saw this report this morning.
I had to call a cab later because my car has been in the shop all week. I can't even remember the last time I called a cab.
The driver was on her cell phone most of the time because of this
new's report and I am in a different state than where this accident happened. This happen in her home town and yes I did feel for her. Even though, before today, I had never laid eyes on her. and she even felt bad for me missing work to take care of my car problem

It's not gratuitous.. It's in your soul, and not just a display..
But you don't have to care one way or the other. .
But guess what, someone will probably care what happens with you,l despite your best efforts..

I understand what Kieren is trying to say, though perhaps he could have said it differently.

Justin, yes this is a serious tragedy and I guess the point that some are trying to make is that serious and terrible things happen just about every minute of every day somewhere in the world, and if we started a thread for every single thing that happened, the forum would be very cluttered. Perhaps we could have one thread for daily news or something.

how does THIS news have anything to do with "freeing the mind"
its not like politics...were you have to have an open mind at first to even read the article or column or whatever...

should there not be a spearate news thread ?

title " and news that is mostly alleged facts ...
ya know ..it could be like deaths ...births....just things that ARE ..instead of things that require people to free ones mind and change other peoples minds..

ya know what im saying?

this tragic death of 7 children ....and all the news that justin wants to put in there he can go nuts

does one of those sub forums exist?
a just news forum
instead of news/argue politics forum?

60 mph ? on a stretch of rural road.........one lane goin each ways sucks in itself......the driver plowing into a car full of children goin 60 slammin them into a bus of exiting school children-
its just unbelivable to me...
then thier grandpa droppin dead when he hears the news

I hope they are all together in a better place

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom