6th Graders Had Sex During Class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the media thing, we must blame our selves and the media for over sexualization and views of men and woman. We want more and more they give, kids, teens adults watch the programming with then get's syphoned into the world.

Justin24 said:
On the media thing, we must blame our selves and the media for over sexualization and views of men and woman. We want more and more they give, kids, teens adults watch the programming with then get's syphoned into the world.

What do you mean by over sexualization? And views of men and women? Any specifics?

An example of Over Sexualization would be the Dolce Ad's or those dolls they sell in store now that make the dolls look like hookers.

If people see an advertisment with sexual inuendos and people go out and buy it, then the company will then start to go for younger crowds.

Justin24 said:
An example of Over Sexualization would be the Dolce Ad's or those dolls they sell in store now that make the dolls look like hookers.

If people see an advertisment with sexual inuendos and people go out and buy it, then the company will then start to go for younger crowds.

I have no clue what you are talking about with the dolls, out of my life's demographic. Don't have kids or nieces yet...

I saw very little sex in the Dolce ad to be honest. I've seen much more sexual ads, but are these ads being put in kid's magazines?

I'm still not seeing your point.

bratz.jpg
The Bratz dolls.

No but they do put other stuff in there. I will find some and scan them and post.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I have no clue what you are talking about with the dolls, out of my life's demographic. Don't have kids or nieces yet...

Having kids definitely changes your perspective.

They are just one example, but Justin isn't wrong here.

Kids programmes and toys nowadays really are sometimes a bit off.
It's not only the sex, but also quite often the violence shown in some of todays children movies which is very questionable.

But look at these dolls. The proportions of their bodies for example.

Vincent Vega said:

It's not only the sex, but also quite often the violence shown in some of todays children movies which is very questionable.

But look at these dolls. The proportions of their bodies for example.

I agree with the violence.

But was Barbie, or Looney Tunes any less guilty of being violent or "well proportioned".

Probably not.

But the way the "violence" was shown in Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry was somehow different.

And these Bratz dolls really are all about having a perfect body, too perfect I would say, and also their clothing and their looks, these huge lips and eyes, are different from what Barbie looked like.

Vincent Vega said:
But the way the "violence" was shown in Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry was somehow different.

By somehow different, I'm assuming you mean unrealistic, which is true. Those shows lacked realistic violence.

Vincent Vega said:

I agree. I've never seen those Bratz girls before. Sheesh, when I was little I idolized Punky Brewster and Laura Ingalls.

But, like BVS said before (I think), the media gives us what we want. So, enough parents must think those Bratz kids are OK toys for their little girls, otherwise they would be advertising.

phillyfan26 said:

By somehow different, I'm assuming you mean unrealistic, which is true. Those shows lacked realistic violence.

Yeah, that's a pretty good explanation.

It's right, the market is there, otherwise they wouldn't produce it.

And the parents are of course responsible for what they let their kids watch or play with.
They just have to learn to say stop, and show their children the limits.

These companies are just producing what sells best and don't care about anything else than money.

Liesje said:

But, like BVS said before (I think), the media gives us what we want.

No, the media gives us what they think we want. Commercials -- and advertising in general, come to think of it -- are built around the notion of creating the demand, then meeting it. Ditto for the media (which, we mustn't forget, is driven by advertising).

Perhaps, these sixth grade girls got that cervical cancer vaccine.

And they thought that gave them a green light to got for it. :shrug:

It's not about being strict (but a certain amount of discipline is required) because kids will rebel if parents are overly strict. It's about teaching kids respect for themselves, for authority, and for certain environments such as school. My parents never told me specifically "dont have sex and don't have sex in a classroom" , but it was clearly understood by me that I was to respect certain situations and behave accordingly. I feel so old and like I'm in a bizarro world when I see some kids and the way they behave in public. They have no respect for others, and it's clear to me that they haven't been brought up to. When I encounter a kid who holds doors and is polite and considerate of others, frankly I'm shocked. Not all of course-there are some great parents who do a phenomenal job. And I understand what it's like for kids (especially teens) and that kids will act out sometimes for a myriad of reasons that have nothing to do with parents. I don't want to bash parents, it's the toughest job in the world.

But some parents are overindulging and spoiling kids materially and in other ways, and using that as some sort of substitute for what they should really be doing. They want their kids to like them so much that they go overboard and take it to extremes. I've seen this in action numerous times.

Obviously this is an isolated incident, I'm quite sure that there are not 12 year olds all over the country having sex in their classrooms. But the general questions surrounding why something like this happened are worth discussing, O'Reilly hysteria aside.

MrsSpringsteen said:
It's not about being strict (but a certain amount of discipline is required) because kids will rebel if parents are overly strict. It's about teaching kids respect for themselves, for authority, and for certain environments such as school. My parents never told me specifically "dont have sex and don't have sex in a classroom" , but it was clearly understood by me that I was to respect certain situations and behave accordingly. I feel so old and like I'm in a bizarro world when I see some kids and the way they behave in public. They have no respect for others, and it's clear to me that they haven't been brought up to. When I encounter a kid who holds doors and is polite and considerate of others, frankly I'm shocked. Not all of course-there are some great parents who do a phenomenal job. And I understand what it's like for kids (especially teens) and that kids will act out sometimes for a myriad of reasons that have nothing to do with parents. I don't want to bash parents, it's the toughest job in the world.

But some parents are overindulging and spoiling kids materially and in other ways, and using that as some sort of substitute for what they should really be doing. They want their kids to like them so much that they go overboard and take it to extremes. I've seen this in action numerous times.

Obviously this is an isolated incident, I'm quite sure that there are not 12 year olds all over the country having sex in their classrooms. But the general questions surrounding why something like this happened are worth discussing, O'Reilly hysteria aside.

I think that you'd be surprised to find how many middle schoolers are engaging in sexual acts while in school. Last year, my sister was in eighth grade and told me about a guy and a girl who went into the bathroom and the girl gave him a blowjob. I know of several people in my grade who have done/do cocaine in the bathrooms as well. Of course, now one of those girls is pregnant...:huh:

Really though, most of these kids that I'm thinking of haven't had a good upbringing and haven't had values instilled by their parents. I'm lucky enough to have had values taught to me by my parents. This story is sad more than anything else. :(

nathan1977 said:

No, the media gives us what they think we want. Commercials -- and advertising in general, come to think of it -- are built around the notion of creating the demand, then meeting it. Ditto for the media (which, we mustn't forget, is driven by advertising).

Yes there is some manipulation or creating a demand, but there's only so much they can do. They have test markets and spend tons of money on research to figure out what we want.

I think you give them far too much credit to think they can manipulate us on their will. It's not as if they can make us wake up tomorrow and think being obese and unhealthy is sexy.

funny that people always gripe about Indianapolis Public Schools, but look what happens in the township schools! :wink: IPS gets teachers arrested for sexual harassment of students instead...

no, in all seriousness, this is fucked up. the fact that it happened in a school is sad, but children having sex, scary as it is, really isn't anything new. there will always be those who feel the need to "experiment" at a younger age.

Apparently the teacher was going back and forth between two classrooms, and they had a "lookout".

[/B]

A lookout? You mean there was a kid standing by the door saying "ok... I think she's gone. Quick, take your pants off and start having sex now!!!"?

Hahahaha.

What bothers me is the plain fact that there are insufficient teachers about to make this kind of thing more difficult. Not that two 12 year olds having sex isn't also bothersome, but geez, we used to have to /work/ at it when I was in school.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Well put.

There were certainly some kids who were sexually active at 12 where I went to school. Only a few, but they were certainly there. Some of them had what you might call 'shitty parents', and some of them definitely didn't. I agree with nathan that 'shitty parents,' like 'The Media,' is too often lazily slung around as a catchall explanation for anything and everything disturbing some kids do, and honestly the way some people (*not aimed at anyone in here*) reflexively fall back on that one, I sometimes wonder if they're being willfully amnesiac about their own former schoolmates or what. Certainly I'd be hard-pressed to think of any large family I've known, from any social background, that did not have at least one kid who got into major, hardcore trouble at some point, sexual or otherwise, despite having well-adjusted, popular, high-achieving siblings and wonderful, highly committed parents. It just happens.

Anyhow, for me at least the real 'shocker' here is that this happened in class--that much I definitely can't imagine anyone I knew having done, and I'm pretty certain that any of the kids I remember being sexually active at that age would've found the whole concept weird and gross. I have to imagine this was more or less some type of showing-off, watch-me-flout-the-teacher-and-everyone-else-too kind of thing. Which as far as it goes isn't a surprising impulse coming from kids that age, but it can cross the line into self-debasing behavior and it seems to me this is a glaringly clear-cut example of that; what's disturbing is that that recognition failed to assert itself. Not even the most minimal level of regard for preserving your own dignity before your peers.

I really don't know what to make of that (if I'm generally perceiving it correctly); I guess I'd want to leave it to a children's therapist to sort that one out. Maybe it's old-fashioned on my part, but I have to imagine any 12-year-old, male or female, who would do that most likely needs some professionally guided help. As far as it goes, it sounds like a good idea that the school is planning to make what's going on in the workspaces more visible to the teachers. I'm skeptical that a lack of 'sex ed' classes is really a salient factor in this particular case, but if this jump-starts some intensive public dialogue about it, so much the better.

I've never heard of an 'Industrial Arts' class for 6th graders--is that common?

Last edited:
yolland said:
I really don't know what to make of that (if I'm generally perceiving it correctly); I guess I'd want to leave it to a children's therapist to sort that one out. Maybe it's old-fashioned on my part, but I have to imagine any 12-year-old, male or female, who would do that most likely needs some professionally guided help.

i think this is quite right.

i don't think "the media" or bad parenting has turned these 12 year olds into hormonally charged, dripping sex machines who lack the impulse control to wait until after school in the basement. there's something else going on here, and we can probably find elements of blame in a sexualized media, as well as parents who have obviously not taught much in the way of self-respect, but having sex IN CLASS seems a really warped act of defiance that requires professional attention. this is not about kids who don't have Jesus in their lives telling them to be abstemious; indeed, i doubt these were the children of atheists who therefore feel unencumbered by whatever external morality O'Reilly and anyone else who wants to work themselves into a frenzy over believes is missing from the school system.

get these kids to a shrink.

I don't think anyone mentioned Jesus or abstinence (but yes I do believe 12 year olds should be abstaining from sex) or atheism in this thread, not that I can recall. Maybe I'm wrong, I'd have to go back and read it again. Honestly I don't think O'Reilly did either.

The main point about this whole issue for me is that the kids had sex IN THE classroom. That they had sex at the age of 12 doesn't really concern me as much as I thought it would.

Sex Ed happens too late (14-15 in my school) and is too half-arsed nowdays. If you start getting to the nitty-gritty before kids reach double figures, there might not exist this irresponsible curiousity to just go at it.

It doesn't help when you've got the media, religious groups and just society in general treating sex as taboo, yet still hammering the point home that it's "naughty" but "nice".

The decision to actually have sex might be a well-thought out process between the two kids involved, if they have had good sex ed.

If two mature, responsible and passionate youngsters are at that stage in a relationship (be it a long-term or friends-with-benefits) where they are ready to have sex, I don't think I should be able to intervene or object to their decision.

Indeed, adults are just as capable as kids of having unsafe, meaningless, and irresponsible sex. Indeed, with adults, it happens all the time.

Just my two cents...

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't think anyone mentioned Jesus or abstinence (but yes I do believe 12 year olds should be abstaining from sex) or atheism in this thread, not that I can recall. Maybe I'm wrong, I'd have to go back and read it again. Honestly I don't think O'Reilly did either.

he talked about "secular progressives."

Irvine511 said:

he talked about "secular progressives."

Yes you're right, he did. It's way too early in a Monday morning :wink: But he also mentioned what kind of parents those kids must have. And I do have to wonder about that. Like I said, I understand that kids can still act out in certain ways in spite of even great parenting.

No way in my opinion can 12 year olds have the emotional and psychological capacity to make mature decisions about having sex. Yes adults have unsafe and meaningless sex, but most adults are far better equipped emotionally than any 12 year old could ever be. A 12 year old has not progressed to the point of being ready for the all the ramifications of sex and sexual relationships, not matter how we try to put adult characteristics on younger and younger kids.

Back
Top Bottom