65% Supporters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Read this

"Osama Bin Laden is viewed with almost universal disdain throughout the European nations surveyed as well as in Turkey, but the Al Qaeda leader is regarded favourably by 65 percent of Pakistanis."

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/print.asp?page=story_20-9-2004_pg1_3&ndate=09/20/2004 5:58:10 AM

Washington: As President Pervez Musharraf arrives in the United States, only four percent of Americans say they have a “very favourable” view of him, while 13 percent say they have never heard of him, according to a recent Pew Research Centre survey. The survey says that 23 percent have a “somewhat favourable” view of the Pakistani military leader, while 20 percent have a “somewhat unfavourable” view of him as against 12 percent whose view of him is “very unfavourable”. As many as 41 percent say they “do not know”. Generally, people in the largely Muslim nations surveyed are divided over whether suicide bombings and other violence against civilian targets are justified in order to defend Islam against its enemies. Forty-one percent of those interviewed in Pakistan said suicide attacks in the defence of Islam are justifiable. Forty-seven percent of Pakistanis who were surveyed said that Palestinian bombings against the Israelis are justifiable with 36 saying they are not. Six in 10 older Pakistanis saw suicide attacks against Americans in Iraq as justifiable, compared with just 44 percent of those who are younger. In Pakistan, there was also a significant gender gap in attitudes toward suicide attacks, with men roughly twice as likely as women to say such violence against Americans and other Westerners in Iraq is justifiable. Osama Bin Laden is viewed with almost universal disdain throughout the European nations surveyed as well as in Turkey, but the Al Qaeda leader is regarded favourably by 65 percent of Pakistanis. khalid hasan

Interesting to be sure, but one must consider Pakistans influences on the Islamist cause. I am not surprised very much, it goes to show that free people view somebody like OBL as a dangerous individual rather than a hero.

AcrobatMan said:
lets do the mathematics part of it

130+ million

65% of 130+ million

= 84 million supporters and more

were 130 million people asked, do you think?

why are these polls taken so literally and accurately?

There are millions who would support somebody like OBL or any islamist because they are conditioned to loath the west and they have absolutely no other choice. If you give somebody freedom then they will not be so willing to leap up and embrace the evil that is political Islam (I am sorry if you are offended but I have no tollerance for any system as mysoginistic, homophobic and so opposed to individual liberty as Islamism - being the poltical system where the objectives of the state both social and political are determined by fundamentalist doctrine - it is evil, the same evil as Nazism and Communism and it must be removed from the earth, the best cure for despotism is liberty).

Angela Harlem said:

were 130 million people asked, do you think?

why are these polls taken so literally and accurately?

dont forget , these people polls may be in cities and so more likely to oppose osama.

the real % could be much higher than 65%

so these figure ( like any other poll) could be off but more in the direction of 70%s than 50%s..but even if its 50%..

we still have 65 million osama supporters in just 1 single country.

how the hell can you stop terrorism ?

no way :|

It is about hearts and minds, until the education is there, until there is good governance and liberal democracies these people choose between their dictators of those that oppose them, in this case the Islamists. If they were given the third option I guarantee the support of OBL will plummet.

Exactly, shut down the madrassas or at least pump money to fund an alternative. These madrassas are funded with Arab money, if flows out of the gulf states and plays a large role in the indoctrination of wahabbism. If we can beat them at their own game it could do a lot of good. Unless we stop the indoctrination of the next generation the war on terror will perpetuate for the next 30 years, at least.

Last edited:
I think you make an excellent point, Wanderer. Many parents send their children to these madrassas because they are the only place to get any form of education. I would love to see more schools started to combat this--free schools in which American and local (Muslim) teachers could work together, perhaps, so that religious education could still continue, but partnered with a more academic curriculum and minus the violent, intolerant Wahhabist component.

The hard part would be to get American teachers to go there, though--it is probably a very scary proposition. We'd have to be able to offer them a lot of protection.

paxetaurora said:
I think you make an excellent point, Wanderer. Many parents send their children to these madrassas because they are the only place to get any form of education.

To what extent do you believe that these parents would want secular education? It may be their only choice because they have not asked for an alternative.

True enough, but if an alternative were offered that included a religious component as well as outstanding academic and vocational curricula, then I think at least some parents would choose differently. These madrassas *tend* (not always, but often) to serve very poor and remote families--not exactly a demographic that has the time to ponder education reform as they try to scrape together a living.

Good point. I think that's why, if we were ever to attempt such a thing, we would want to work with moderate local clergypersons (which might be more difficult than it sounds, I grant) to include a religious component to such education, so parents would still feel that Islam and Islamic values were being respected.

Back
Top Bottom