60,480,957 Idiots in America? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2004, 01:44 AM   #1
War Child
 
drivemytrabant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Ohio State University
Posts: 535
Local Time: 04:42 AM
60,480,957 Idiots in America?

The President reached 60 million+ mark for his vote total in the election. Alot of people have been saying that the only people who voted for Bush were red-neck southerners, homophobes, and just plain and simple complete idiots. (The UK paper "The Daily Mirror" for example ran the headline "D'oh 4 More Years of Dubya--How can X Number of people be so DUMB?") How then, do we explain this number? Are there really nearly 60.5 million idiots living in this country?
__________________

__________________
drivemytrabant is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 01:48 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 07:42 PM
Well I naturally assumed that they meant that 60 million of the people that didn't vote were ignorant.

/sarcasm at the pretentious bastards, oh well at least they didn't refer to you as colonials.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 05:17 AM   #3
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 04:42 AM
This is really offensive. But what's even more offensive is that the mods really don't care that people here call conservatives idiots, etc...

;(
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 09:42 AM
I'm not going to call 60 million plus of my compatriots idiots. They're not. The fact of the matter is that this was the most emotionally charged election since 1968. I'm relieved it's all over. It was a really tense, uptight thing for me. It didn't go the way I would have liked but this didn't exactly shock me. The thing I disliked the most about it was the length, eight months! Eight fg months for a political campaign! There's probably nothing we can do about our campaignathons. The media wants it that way, they're way too powerful to challenge on this, so there. Damn.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 06:41 AM   #5
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Madelyn, I'm really getting a bit sick of your cheap shots at the mods in here. I'm sure you could dig up about a million incidents in which I've admonished BOTH sides to keep it clean and respectful...if you cared to do your research. And, yes, I do take the comment personally, because although many mods contribute to the moderation on FYM, I probably do the majority of it.

We have "vacationed" or banned from FYM persons on both sides of the fence who can't keep a level head about things. Again, if you cared to do your homework, you'd know this.

And, finally, "idiot" comments are the least of my worries in FYM, though I do try to be aware of them and try to keep people in line. I'm much more worried about the blatantly sexist/racist/homophobic things that come off in here; the wishing of death or destruction on people or places; and the damn near ubiquitous (these days) "Nazi" slams.

FYM is not an easy place to mod, and I invite you to express your interest to Sicy or Elvis if you think you can do better.
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 09:42 AM
pax, I think most of us here on both sides of the political spectrum appreciate the hell out of the fine job you and the other mods do. I can only imagine how hard this forum is to moderate, and to keep us behaving like adults and such. Thanks to you guys people learn that they'd better respect the opinions of others or they're not long for this forum. Trust me it is not a job I would want to do. MadelynIris, quite frankly I don't think you're being fair to the mods. They do their best to keep "idiot" type posts out of here. They do get on our case for calling people names. I missed the post-election threads because I was a thousand miles away from my computer in D.C, but I've been told there was a fair amount of acrimony and such. You can't go through something that emotional and not have a few fireworks. That's when I think that if I were a mod I'd hand in my resignation. Whew!
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 07:22 AM   #7
Acrobat
 
pianorocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: the cosmos
Posts: 339
Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
pax, I think most of us here on both sides of the political spectrum appreciate the hell out of the fine job you and the other mods do. I can only imagine how hard this forum is to moderate, and to keep us behaving like adults and such. Thanks to you guys people learn that they'd better respect the opinions of others or they're not long for this forum. Trust me it is not a job I would want to do. MadelynIris, quite frankly I don't think you're being fair to the mods. They do their best to keep "idiot" type posts out of here. They do get on our case for calling people names. I missed the post-election threads because I was a thousand miles away from my computer in D.C, but I've been told there was a fair amount of acrimony and such. You can't go through something that emotional and not have a few fireworks. That's when I think that if I were a mod I'd hand in my resignation. Whew!
well-stated. Shall we turn this into a mod-appreciation thread?

Hooray for the mods!!!
__________________
pianorocker is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #8
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Posts: 2,551
Local Time: 02:42 AM
Re: 60,480,957 Idiots in America?

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant
The President reached 60 million+ mark for his vote total in the election. Alot of people have been saying that the only people who voted for Bush were red-neck southerners, homophobes, and just plain and simple complete idiots. (The UK paper "The Daily Mirror" for example ran the headline "D'oh 4 More Years of Dubya--How can X Number of people be so DUMB?") How then, do we explain this number? Are there really nearly 60.5 million idiots living in this country?
Are you referring to people here on Inteference or the media and the public in general? If you're referring to people who post in FYM, I haven't seen people use the terms you're claiming they use. Maybe I haven't read the right threads, I dunno.
__________________
pub crawler is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 08:50 AM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Thanks, y'all.

Getting back on topic...

No, I don't think all people who voted for Bush are idiots, nor do I think it's right to refer to Bush voters that way. My dad voted for Bush, and though I disagree with that choice, my dad is an intelligent man who thought his choice through, and that's all we can ask for.

That said, I do think it's possible to vote against one's own self-interest, and I'm sure some people did do exactly that--in voting for either Bush OR Kerry. But even that doesn't make one an idiot. Maybe not especially astute about politics, but certainly not an idiot.
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 10:12 AM   #10
New Yorker
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,637
Local Time: 04:42 AM
I don't think all people who voted for Bush are idiots but you have to admit there were some who voted simply for Bush because of the gay marriage crap and not because they educated themselves on what was really going on with Iraq, health care and poverty in this country. I think the idiots were these "moral voter" that were one-issue voters and the focus on them makes the rest of the Bush voters look dumb. I frankly think it's irresponsible to be a one-issue voter in any election especially this past election. If you educated yourself on all the issues and voted for Bush, so be it. That's what my mom did. But this reminds me of a political cartoon I put in that thread: "I've got no job, my kids have no health insurance, my brother's in Iraq, but thank God gay people can't marry each other." Or as Steven Colbert said on the Daily Show "We in New York are too close to the gays and the terrorism to make an educated decision so on behalf of the blue states, I would like to thank the red states for saving us from ourselves."

As for the Daily Mirror front page, can you blame them? I mean, why would they not say that based on how the world views us?

And so what is Bush got 60+ million votes...doesn't change the fact that more people voted against him than any other president. 51% is not a mandate.
__________________
sharky is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 11:01 AM   #11
Acrobat
 
pianorocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: the cosmos
Posts: 339
Local Time: 04:42 AM
I also think that it's wrong for people to go around touting the fact that Bush has gotten the highest popular vote of any president. In my opinion, it's only because there are more people living in the US than before and there appeared to be a higher voter turnout than most recent elections!


Perhaps I'm thinking too simplisitically, but hey.
__________________
pianorocker is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 11:09 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pianorocker
I also think that it's wrong for people to go around touting the fact that Bush has gotten the highest popular vote of any president. In my opinion, it's only because there are more people living in the US than before and there appeared to be a higher voter turnout than most recent elections!


Perhaps I'm thinking too simplisitically, but hey.
Kerry also got more votes than anyone (except bush) in history. You're right, and it's as simple as that, which is why you're thinking simplitically!
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 11:10 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 09:42 AM
PS-Pax you rock! You do an excellent job dealing with those of us who lose our tempers in this forum . Ok back on topic. No not all bush supporters are idiots, I know many who are very intelligent.
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:42 AM
I don't favor threads with topics that insist that everyone who votes for a certain person is an idiot. Is that saying that all the Americans who DON'T VOTE AT ALL are geniuses?

Another thing: I'll never understand how the left defines "tolerance" until they can tolerate a republican president. Gotta practice what you preach.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 11-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #15
War Child
 
drivemytrabant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Ohio State University
Posts: 535
Local Time: 04:42 AM
Re: Re: 60,480,957 Idiots in America?

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler


Are you referring to people here on Inteference or the media and the public in general? If you're referring to people who post in FYM, I haven't seen people use the terms you're claiming they use. Maybe I haven't read the right threads, I dunno.
I'm not really refering to the people on Interference calling Bush voters idiot--tho it has been done (to be fair both sides have been called idiots I'm sure) but the media and the people I meet around my home. (I live in a highly democratic area)
__________________

__________________
drivemytrabant is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com