60,480,957 Idiots in America? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2004, 01:44 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:42 AM
60,480,957 Idiots in America?

The President reached 60 million+ mark for his vote total in the election. Alot of people have been saying that the only people who voted for Bush were red-neck southerners, homophobes, and just plain and simple complete idiots. (The UK paper "The Daily Mirror" for example ran the headline "D'oh 4 More Years of Dubya--How can X Number of people be so DUMB?") How then, do we explain this number? Are there really nearly 60.5 million idiots living in this country?

Old 11-14-2004, 01:48 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:42 PM
Well I naturally assumed that they meant that 60 million of the people that didn't vote were ignorant.

/sarcasm at the pretentious bastards, oh well at least they didn't refer to you as colonials.

Old 11-14-2004, 05:17 AM   #3
Refugee

This is really offensive. But what's even more offensive is that the mods really don't care that people here call conservatives idiots, etc...

;(
Old 11-14-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:42 AM
I'm not going to call 60 million plus of my compatriots idiots. They're not. The fact of the matter is that this was the most emotionally charged election since 1968. I'm relieved it's all over. It was a really tense, uptight thing for me. It didn't go the way I would have liked but this didn't exactly shock me. The thing I disliked the most about it was the length, eight months! Eight fg months for a political campaign! There's probably nothing we can do about our campaignathons. The media wants it that way, they're way too powerful to challenge on this, so there. Damn.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:41 AM   #5
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Madelyn, I'm really getting a bit sick of your cheap shots at the mods in here. I'm sure you could dig up about a million incidents in which I've admonished BOTH sides to keep it clean and respectful...if you cared to do your research. And, yes, I do take the comment personally, because although many mods contribute to the moderation on FYM, I probably do the majority of it.

We have "vacationed" or banned from FYM persons on both sides of the fence who can't keep a level head about things. Again, if you cared to do your homework, you'd know this.

And, finally, "idiot" comments are the least of my worries in FYM, though I do try to be aware of them and try to keep people in line. I'm much more worried about the blatantly sexist/racist/homophobic things that come off in here; the wishing of death or destruction on people or places; and the damn near ubiquitous (these days) "Nazi" slams.

FYM is not an easy place to mod, and I invite you to express your interest to Sicy or Elvis if you think you can do better.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

pax, I think most of us here on both sides of the political spectrum appreciate the hell out of the fine job you and the other mods do. I can only imagine how hard this forum is to moderate, and to keep us behaving like adults and such. Thanks to you guys people learn that they'd better respect the opinions of others or they're not long for this forum. Trust me it is not a job I would want to do. MadelynIris, quite frankly I don't think you're being fair to the mods. They do their best to keep "idiot" type posts out of here. They do get on our case for calling people names. I missed the post-election threads because I was a thousand miles away from my computer in D.C, but I've been told there was a fair amount of acrimony and such. You can't go through something that emotional and not have a few fireworks. That's when I think that if I were a mod I'd hand in my resignation. Whew!
Old 11-14-2004, 07:22 AM   #7
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
pax, I think most of us here on both sides of the political spectrum appreciate the hell out of the fine job you and the other mods do. I can only imagine how hard this forum is to moderate, and to keep us behaving like adults and such. Thanks to you guys people learn that they'd better respect the opinions of others or they're not long for this forum. Trust me it is not a job I would want to do. MadelynIris, quite frankly I don't think you're being fair to the mods. They do their best to keep "idiot" type posts out of here. They do get on our case for calling people names. I missed the post-election threads because I was a thousand miles away from my computer in D.C, but I've been told there was a fair amount of acrimony and such. You can't go through something that emotional and not have a few fireworks. That's when I think that if I were a mod I'd hand in my resignation. Whew!
well-stated. Shall we turn this into a mod-appreciation thread?

Hooray for the mods!!!
Old 11-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #8
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Re: 60,480,957 Idiots in America?

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant
The President reached 60 million+ mark for his vote total in the election. Alot of people have been saying that the only people who voted for Bush were red-neck southerners, homophobes, and just plain and simple complete idiots. (The UK paper "The Daily Mirror" for example ran the headline "D'oh 4 More Years of Dubya--How can X Number of people be so DUMB?") How then, do we explain this number? Are there really nearly 60.5 million idiots living in this country?
Are you referring to people here on Inteference or the media and the public in general? If you're referring to people who post in FYM, I haven't seen people use the terms you're claiming they use. Maybe I haven't read the right threads, I dunno.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:50 AM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks, y'all.

Getting back on topic...

No, I don't think all people who voted for Bush are idiots, nor do I think it's right to refer to Bush voters that way. My dad voted for Bush, and though I disagree with that choice, my dad is an intelligent man who thought his choice through, and that's all we can ask for.

That said, I do think it's possible to vote against one's own self-interest, and I'm sure some people did do exactly that--in voting for either Bush OR Kerry. But even that doesn't make one an idiot. Maybe not especially astute about politics, but certainly not an idiot.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:12 AM   #10
New Yorker

I don't think all people who voted for Bush are idiots but you have to admit there were some who voted simply for Bush because of the gay marriage crap and not because they educated themselves on what was really going on with Iraq, health care and poverty in this country. I think the idiots were these "moral voter" that were one-issue voters and the focus on them makes the rest of the Bush voters look dumb. I frankly think it's irresponsible to be a one-issue voter in any election especially this past election. If you educated yourself on all the issues and voted for Bush, so be it. That's what my mom did. But this reminds me of a political cartoon I put in that thread: "I've got no job, my kids have no health insurance, my brother's in Iraq, but thank God gay people can't marry each other." Or as Steven Colbert said on the Daily Show "We in New York are too close to the gays and the terrorism to make an educated decision so on behalf of the blue states, I would like to thank the red states for saving us from ourselves."

As for the Daily Mirror front page, can you blame them? I mean, why would they not say that based on how the world views us?

And so what is Bush got 60+ million votes...doesn't change the fact that more people voted against him than any other president. 51% is not a mandate.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:01 AM   #11
Acrobat

I also think that it's wrong for people to go around touting the fact that Bush has gotten the highest popular vote of any president. In my opinion, it's only because there are more people living in the US than before and there appeared to be a higher voter turnout than most recent elections!

Perhaps I'm thinking too simplisitically, but hey.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:09 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pianorocker
I also think that it's wrong for people to go around touting the fact that Bush has gotten the highest popular vote of any president. In my opinion, it's only because there are more people living in the US than before and there appeared to be a higher voter turnout than most recent elections!

Perhaps I'm thinking too simplisitically, but hey.
Kerry also got more votes than anyone (except bush) in history. You're right, and it's as simple as that, which is why you're thinking simplitically!
Old 11-14-2004, 11:10 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

PS-Pax you rock! You do an excellent job dealing with those of us who lose our tempers in this forum . Ok back on topic. No not all bush supporters are idiots, I know many who are very intelligent.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't favor threads with topics that insist that everyone who votes for a certain person is an idiot. Is that saying that all the Americans who DON'T VOTE AT ALL are geniuses?

Another thing: I'll never understand how the left defines "tolerance" until they can tolerate a republican president. Gotta practice what you preach.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #15
War Child

Re: Re: 60,480,957 Idiots in America?

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

Are you referring to people here on Inteference or the media and the public in general? If you're referring to people who post in FYM, I haven't seen people use the terms you're claiming they use. Maybe I haven't read the right threads, I dunno.
I'm not really refering to the people on Interference calling Bush voters idiot--tho it has been done (to be fair both sides have been called idiots I'm sure) but the media and the people I meet around my home. (I live in a highly democratic area)