59. Years ago... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2004, 07:26 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:48 AM
Sheltie maybe you can remember the victims of Pearl Harbour in another thread on the anniversary of that event .

Old 08-16-2004, 11:46 PM   #17
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Or maybe we could all just get together and not ARGUE about WHICH dead people we're going to honor...?

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:12 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by kaig

but... do you really see these 2 events on the same level?
i'm sorry, i can't.
No, I cannot either.

Pearl Harbor was a legitimate military target and the deaths were almost exclusively military personnel. That alone makes it different that Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And Pearl Harbor is remembered, and the dead and the survivors are honored.

As US citizens (for those of us who are) we must face the cold, hard fact that we, as a nation, are the only country to ever use atomic bombs in war. No matter what your feeling about the appropriateness of the use of these weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the people in the cities, most civilians, suffered truely horrific consequences. This is the time to look at, and reflect upon, that action and the terrible aftermath.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were decimated by a single bomb each....
Old 08-17-2004, 06:19 AM   #19
Refugee

Old 08-17-2004, 06:40 AM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

No, I cannot either.

Pearl Harbor was a legitimate military target and the deaths were almost exclusively military personnel. That alone makes it different that Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And Pearl Harbor is remembered, and the dead and the survivors are honored.

As US citizens (for those of us who are) we must face the cold, hard fact that we, as a nation, are the only country to ever use atomic bombs in war. No matter what your feeling about the appropriateness of the use of these weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the people in the cities, most civilians, suffered truely horrific consequences. This is the time to look at, and reflect upon, that action and the terrible aftermath.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were decimated by a single bomb each....
i quite agree, this is what i meant to say.
all wars' victims (and all the innocent victims above all) should be never forgotten, but i think that Hiroshima and Nagasaki represent the worst page of human history (worst in one sense than the Jewish holocaust... in one sense i said, please don't misunderstand my words).
Just think about what the Cold War had represented for such a long time...
Old 08-17-2004, 08:29 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:48 AM
Considering the millions of Chinese that the Japanese murdered after they invaded and the sickening biological warfare they used against civilians with unit 731 (http://www.aiipowmia.com/731/731mnu.html) I do not think it is fair to condemn the use of such a great weapon of war to finish them off permanently and quickly without the need for an invasion that would have no doubt killed more people.

It is sad that people died in those bombings, it is awful and they should be remembered.

War is bad, but it gets the job done - Imperial Japan was defeated and the Soviet Union was unable to make a move against Western Europe from fear of nuclear reprisal. I do not think that we should be so apologetic today for dropping those bombs 60 years ago, Truman knew the stakes and he made the call, it was right then and it is right today.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:52 AM   #22
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm absolutely disgusted that a thread calling for respectful honor of people who died tragically has derailed into an argument over which people deserve it more.

Join Amnesty.