55 years for rape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Does anyone think this is too harsh? I dont.

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,4909650%5E701,00.html

55 YEARS FOR GANG RAPE

16aug02
They were a pack of youths who terrorised women during a series of violent sex attacks. Yesterday, the gang's ringleader was brought to justice. CINDY WOCKNER reports

HE IS a "menace to any civilised society". Yesterday he was jailed for a maximum 55 years.

In one of the heaviest non-life sentences ever handed down in NSW, the 20-year-old man ? the ringleader in a series of gang rapes ? stared justice in the face.

Judge Michael Finnane sentenced him to a minimum non-parole term of 40 years for his role in three separate gang rapes on four young victims committed 20 days apart in Sydney's west in August 2000.

In a damning sentence Judge Finnane said the man, known only as X, was: "A liar, a bully, a coward, callous and mean . . . a menace to any civilised society."

In regard to one rape, where the 16-year-old victim was staked to the ground by up to a dozen men and raped by X and another man, Judge Finnane said: "[X] and others treated her much like wild animals treat prey they have just killed."

As he announced the 40-year non-parole period, there was uproar in the public gallery, where X's mother screamed before collapsing. X's girlfriend sat in shocked disbelief.

Judge Finnane told X he would not be eligible for parole until February 11, 2040.

"At that stage he will have been in custody 40 years. Hopefully he will no longer be a menace to society. The offender may be removed."

X stood up, looked directly at Judge Finnane and said: "I am innocent, I retain my innocence to the day I die you c . . ."

Throughout the sentence hearing X had acted nothing like a man about to lose at least 40 years of his life, laughing, joking, smirking and gesturing to his girlfriend and family members.

It was a fact not lost upon the judge, who noted he had shown no contrition, no remorse "just a straight out contempt for the court proceedings".

"I see no reason to give him the benefit of any reduction in his parole period," Judge Finnane said. "[X] was the leader of a brutal gang of rapists who, on three occasions, raped four young women. His actions and those of his gang spread terror in Sydney in August, 2000, just before the start of the Olympic Games."

Crown Prosecutor Margaret Cunneen had earlier submitted to the court: "These horrific gang rapes really have left an indelible stain on the criminal history of NSW and on the psyche of citizens of this state."

Ms Cunneen said the behaviour of the males involved was not civilised, in a society where "women have had a long struggle to achieve equality".

During submissions, Judge Finnane said X's family, who had done nothing wrong, and the Lebanese community, were not to be condemned by the actions of a few.

But he noted the rapists, by asking the victim's nationality and making such comments as "I'm going to f . . . you Leb style", calling one victim an "Aussie pig" and asking one whether "Leb cock" tasted better than Aussie cock" had injected racism into the crimes.

"By their own actions and their own words they have drawn this completely unique slur on their own culture; by asking some of the victims do they like it Leb style and words to that effect, suggesting that in some way they themselves are part of some separate group that is not really part of this community . . . they are wreaking revenge on the other group, the Australian group, if you like. They are the ones that created this totally false scenario," Judge Finnane said.

Judge Finnane commended the victims for their courage, the investigating police for an inquiry of the highest order and the DPP and the defence for their conduct during the trial.

55 years?

That's all? Only 55 years? Why not life?

MAP

p.s.- GIRLFRIEND??? What kind of idiot woman would continue to support a monster like "X"? And what is with this "X" nonsense anyway?? His real name is probably Ralph or Arvid.

I don't think the penalty is harsh ENOUGH. Forty years without parole will only make him 60 when he's up for parole. That's ridiculous. :angry: :rolleyes: :mad:

Hooray for justice. Why doesn't that happen here? It's a horrific crime. Rapists, child molesters, etc. SHOULD get at least that kind of punishment!!!

that is just sick!!! what kind of judge was he!!! I bet if it were one of his daughters, sisters, or immediate family, he would have been all pissy shit about it! what is wrong with these ppl!
:mad:

Hey now...I don't understand why you're getting pissed off at the judge, jala. In terms of punishments for rapists, that's the most severe I've seen, and I'm really glad to see it. I think 40 years minimum before parole is a nice way to say "you've had your little bit of fun, now you've got 40 years to think if it was worth it. My bet is less than a year into it this cocky s.o.b. is going to deeply regret his actions, but guess what - he's still got 39 years locked up regardless. I would much rather have him locked up for life, but 40 years is a big step forward over your typical sentence for rapists.

We need those kind of judges over here in the states. Every time I hear about a rapist being sentenced, it's always for a measly 5-10 years

55 years may be long by American standards, but I agree with the consensus that it is not long enough. It disturbs me that he can be parolled in 40 years.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
55 years may be long by American standards, but I agree with the consensus that it is not long enough. It disturbs me that he can be parolled in 40 years.

:up: I completely agree. I don't think that in a situation as serious as this we can just say (however reluctantly), "Well, that's better than usual. It's a step in the right direction." The STANDARD punishment needs to be changed.

This isn't directed at you or anything, Diemen, in case it seems that way. :) I understand your point, I just think outrage is conducive to progress sometimes. ;)

i think it was too long. Not because the punishment length was unjustifiable, rather the sentance is disproportionate to other cases.

As they say how do you tell someone who has had a son or daughter murdered that the attacker should only serve 25 years when something like this is handed down? Id be surprised if it isnt reduced considerably on appeal.

This has made headlines based on it being compared to other rape and murder cases. When it IS compared to those, it is an awfully long time. However, what people fail to mention is that the rape cases they are comparing them to are not multiple gang rapes, and this is not a murder trial.
This guy faced 16 charges. For each, he is serving comparatively regular times. They just add up to a lot.
I really cant agree that this is too much. Here is one court judge who is following to an extent, the letter of the law and sentencing for all charges. Too often an offender does not serve for all charges he was initially guilty of. The problem lies with that, not with this one magistrate who has decided to change that.
This is setting an excellent precedent. It is time cases like this are no longer deemed so exceptional because when compared to murder and other rape charges, it appears excessive. Maybe now, we will see the proper sentencing of offenders and jail times of other cases will increase to match this.
Unfortunatelty, his appeals may get his time reduced. I just hope he enjoys prison for whatever time he does end up with. In there, he can have all the sex he wants, and more.

Truth-in-sentincing for rapists, murderers and other violent offenders is the way to go; anything less is an example of the criminal, witht the help of "the system" spitting in the face of the victim and saying "nah-nah-nah-boo-boo, I got off easy."

This is a fantastic verdit. 40 years in my opinion is right. Though i'd like to see all rapist dead that will not happen but 40 years compared to everything else getting handed down nowadays is a long time.

People really dont understand that rape is in someways worse then murder. You have to think about the ordeal day in day out. This person is scum and will definetly fell whats it like when he goes to jail. I'm sure they'll all be whispering do u like irish cock or english or aussie.

Back
Top Bottom