51% Of American Women - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 01-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:34 PM
Well I'm obviously only kidding, but I suppose for some women marrying George would be the ultimate triumphant conquest, of marrying the man who "refuses" to marry, and a sexy and gorgeous one at that. I don't know why someone would want to marry someone who is clear that he doesn't want to be married, but that's part of it too I suppose- the notion that you must be so incredible, desirable, etc that George just has to succumb. I have no such delusions (about myself or him). I'd just like to meet him and get a hug or kiss on the cheek

Old 01-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #47
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Liesje

I've seen girls who are so obsessed with getting married that the first guy they date seriously they turn into the perfect husband, all in their heads. Or, they ignore serious problems because they think the other person will change for them.
This is not surprising, considering the degree to which young girls are indoctrinated by the media and often family members. Marriage is presented as an inexorable event, as though anyone who does not become married is and should be a pariah. I applaud women who refuse to get married simply for the sake of being married; in my mind, marriage really is an antiquated institution.
As I posted in another thread, my roommate recently got engaged, and his inane fiance exemplifies all of the characteristics associated with a sterotypical vehement bride-to-be. I simply wonder how she and her ultra-conservative family will actually view the marriage after the spectacle of the wedding has receded. I remember asking them once why it was that, if their love was really as powerful and indissoluble as they claim it to be, they needed to get married at all. Does that stamp of formality really contribute anything to a love that ostensibly is already "true" or "real"? And their answer was, predictably, that marriage was simply the normal thing to do.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #48
She's the One
Local Time: 01:34 PM
Originally posted by cdisantis83
Does that stamp of formality really contribute anything to a love that ostensibly is already "true" or "real"?
It can, if the couple is really ready to be a committed couple.