5 years on , Pay your respects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaz02

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I remeber where i was when i was told .

My mate told me after my last lesson that a teacher disturbed his lesson and told eevryone that there was a incident in New York , everyone thought he was kidding.

I got home and my mum was glued to the TV and thats when the 2nd plane struck.

I will never forget.

:hug: well wishes for the family's on this difficult day

I hear ya Vaz,
Back on September 11TH. 2001, I had finished-up doing my aerobics when my mother called.
She told me to turn on CNN because the World Trade Center had been hit and the US was under attack.
I turned on the tv and I couldn't believe my eyes because all I saw was the first tower up in smoke when the 2nd plane struck the other tower.

I'm a reporter for our local paper. I woke up that morning to the radio saying "A plane just hit a building . . . "

As I got up, I said to myself, "Wow. That'll be a big story."

Then I got to work and saw everything unfolding. I couldn't believe it. Even in our city of 120,000 people in Kansas, we were able to localize tons of stories. Everybody was taking it personal, as they should. I remember going to the gas station during the day and just looking at other people around me. We all kind of nodded at each other like "You're my fellow American. Let's get through this together." It was a cool feeling.

My prayers go out to all those who lost a loved one five years ago, and certainly all who helped on that day. I also pray for our country that we'll continue to work toward becoming a better country and not lose site of our potential.

I remember it was a couple a days before I started my junior year of college so I was at my parents...I had just woken up and was a little groggy and my little sister started telling me about some plane that had hit a building. I remember not understanding exactely what she was telling me and being a little annoyed with her. That's when I heard my other sister yell out as the second plane hit.

We live in Los Angeles and my mom was staying with us and was scheduled to fly home that morning to San Jose. At a little before 6am our phone ran. It woke us all. No one calls at that hour and we knew it couldn't be good news. It was my mom's husband calling to tell us to turn on CNN. We were all sitting and watching at the foot of the bed when the second plane hit.

I worked in the tallest building west of the Mississippi in downtown Los Angeles and was scheduled to go to work that morning but as it turned out the markets didn't open for another week. Until I left that job, I hated having to go to work in that skyscraper. It was reported that there was another plot to fly into that building.

It is a very different world now.

My prayers to everyone.

My love to NYC.

I remember most of the day so vividly, as if it were yesterday. I got a call very early in the morning as well, and the sound of the phone ringing at that hour absolutely terrified me.

Some friends were in NYC that day, and I stayed home by the TV and phone for hours, desperately hoping for good news. I eventually heard from all of them.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who lost a loved one that day. :hug: We will never forget.

We will never forget.

2230~Ground-Zero-NYFD-Posters.jpg

Last edited:
I can vividly remember the complete sense of shock I felt when I heard. I got confused with the time differences at first, thinking it was around 6.00 am in New York when it happened and so there wouldn't be many people in the towers and the planes would have been quite empty and then the horror of realising that there were actually thousands of people in there.

My thoughts are with all Americans and all those affected by the tragedy.

Last edited:
A little poem I wrote 5 years ago today. :(

Sept. 11, 2001

The sky is falling-
Ashes, Armageddon,
Clouds of metal rain.

Six hundred miles south in safety,
how dare the sun shine?
The breeze is mild and warm
as I thunder inside,
the only lightning within my breast,
the only rain pours down my cheeks,
while my fists shake like crumbling towers.

a big hug to a true city of the world:

New-York-City-Skyline.jpg

and a big "thank you" to all our friends around the world who stood with us that day. it meant so much, and it still does.

Many of you have summed up what I was thinking five years ago today. I will never forget the sadness, anger, confusion, and sadness I felt on September 11, 2001. However, I do remember those who came to help, the police, firefighters, EMTs, medical personnel, and regular every day people. I'd like to leave all of you with this quote:

"I believe in aristocracy, though-if that is the right word word, and if a democrat may use it. Not an aristocracy of power...but of the sensitive, the considerate...Its members are to be found in all nations and classes, and all through the ages, and there is a secret understanding when they meet. they represent the true human tradition, the one permanent victory of our queer race over cruelty and chaos. Thousands of them perish in obscurity, a few are great names. They are sensitive for others as well as themselves, they are considerate without being fussy, their pluck is not swankiness but the power to endure..."

EM Forster, "What I Believe" in Two Cheers for Democracy

I won't forget the pride, the joy to be American after the attacks..I'll never forget having love for country and for government and for protection..and I still hold it today...why have we divided ourselves 5 years later?

I still feel haunted about the events of that day. Part of me still can't believe it. I think I am beginning to accept what happened, and I am beginning to allow it to change me for the better. Before, I was in total denial that my city was attacked, and that there was someone looking to kill me and those I love. But I might be getting past the mourning stages, even though part of me will always mourn.
I still feel sad whenever I drive by a firehouse. My dad used to be a fireman, and he attended many funerals after Sept 11th - many of them for the sons of the men he worked with.
I agree with Canadiens1160 that this was the defining moment of my generation. I was 19 when 9/11 happened, and I am now 24. There are some days when I wish these events never happened, and everything was normal and I didn't have to worry about if and when another terror attack happened.
I guess I'll have no choice but to live one day at a time. One thing 9/11 shows is that you never what is going to happen next because one minute can change everything.

I remember where I was during the attacks. I was at this computer, and people were arguing about the cause of the attacks. Some blamed Clinton, but I thought that was a little ridiculous because he wasn't President when it happened. The attacks happened because we have some things that the terrorists don't have, like freedom. I feel badly for the people who don't have what we have, because they're locked up in undemocratic hells all around the world and it's a shame that they're having to put up with the crud they're living with.

my younger brother is in a choir and a husband of one of the victims on the American Airlines flight that crashed in to the North Tower had a funeral and they performed at the funeral. Such a sad day everyone was crying.

Rest in Peace to all the victims of that day.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/memorial/

Last edited:
The only thing I remember clearly about hearing what happened was immediately looking out the window I sat by (I was in my English class) and I was not able to completely comprehend what had happened until seeing it on television.

RIP both the victims and heroes

I remember watching the news as they were reporting on the 1st tower having been hit. Than the next thing I know the 2nd plane hit the other tower. Just stood there in complete shock and even then it took awhile after to fully accept what I had seen.

My heart goes out to all of those who lost their lives and to the loved ones that they left behind. May each and everyone of you rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom