4th Trimester Abortions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
N.Korean defector says disabled newborns are killed

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea has no people with physical disabilities because they are killed almost as soon as they are born, a physician who defected from the communist state said on Wednesday.

Ri Kwang-chol, who fled to the South last year, told a forum of rights activists that the practice of killing newborns was widespread but denied he himself took part in it.

"There are no people with physical defects in North Korea," Ri told members of the New Right Union, which groups local activists and North Korean refugees.

He said babies born with physical disabilities were killed in infancy in hospitals or in homes and were quickly buried.

As horrifying as that is, the fate of baby girls in China is often worse due to the one-child-per-family policy.

The ones who aren't killed at birth are abandoned to orphanages where if they are lucky enough to survive to toddlerhood, they are often left to starve to death in "dying rooms".

When I went for my ultrasound with my first pregnancy, the technician told us she was 90% sure the baby was a girl. When we jokingly prodded her to be more sure, she told us she is not allowed to give conclusive results prior to the end date for late abortions. She said decisions to terminate are sometimes made based on gender alone. Here. In Canada. :|

AliEnvy said:
As horrifying as that is, the fate of baby girls in China is often worse due to the one-child-per-family policy.

The ones who aren't killed at birth are abandoned to orphanages where if they are lucky enough to survive to toddlerhood, they are often left to starve to death in "dying rooms".

When I went for my ultrasound with my first pregnancy, the technician told us she was 90% sure the baby was a girl. When we jokingly prodded her to be more sure, she told us she is not allowed to give conclusive results prior to the end date for late abortions. She said decisions to terminate are sometimes made based on gender alone. Here. In Canada. :|

I wonder if that is just in bigger cities with bigger immigrant populations.

India is the same - they actually have a shortage of marrying age women now.

That's bad, but I don't think letting them live out such a miserable life would be any better :|

This is not an attack on the disabled, it is an attack on Stalinist Regimes.

A_Wanderer said:
That's bad, but I don't think letting them live out such a miserable life would be any better :|

I wonder what disabled people would say to that? The problem is, there's too many physically disabled people that get overlooked or unfairly treated because people assume they have mental problems. I've known a few people with cerebral palsy who either can't walk, or walk funny and talk funny. In NK, they would've been killed at birth because they are deformed or don't have certain physical functions the rest of us have. However, they are just as smart as anyone else and are capable of functioning on their own.

Who gets to be the judge of whether or not the baby's life will be miserable? How can you possibly know that at birth?

How about my friend here in this photo? She's severely handicapped and deformed, but she knows what she has to do to get by. She even came to Africa with us and despite her severe disabilities, she was able to do everything everyone else did. Good think she was born in South Korea, or I'd be minus one friend.

http://www.dutchbingo.net/TanzaniaJanuary2005/photos/photo11.jpg

I agree LivLuv-there are many disabled people who live much better and richer lives than "abled" people, better and richer in the ways that truly matter. We "abled" people are the ones who are truly miserable when you really stop to think about it.

This is amazingly incredible beyond comprehension. What is it going to take for the people to rise up against this government? :mad:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I wonder what disabled people would say to that? The problem is, there's too many physically disabled people that get overlooked or unfairly treated because people assume they have mental problems. I've known a few people with cerebral palsy who either can't walk, or walk funny and talk funny. In NK, they would've been killed at birth because they are deformed or don't have certain physical functions the rest of us have. However, they are just as smart as anyone else and are capable of functioning on their own.

Who gets to be the judge of whether or not the baby's life will be miserable? How can you possibly know that at birth?

How about my friend here in this photo? She's severely handicapped and deformed, but she knows what she has to do to get by. She even came to Africa with us and despite her severe disabilities, she was able to do everything everyone else did. Good think she was born in South Korea, or I'd be minus one friend.

http://www.dutchbingo.net/TanzaniaJanuary2005/photos/photo11.jpg
It was a statement about the slave state that is North Korea, the people cannot rise up because they are completely and utterly dominated by the state - it kills millions, but a war would kill millions more - the path of least death is by no means a happier ending.

I wonder do the parents of the disabled children have any say in the matter? Can they choose to "keep" there child? Are they forced to have them killed?:(

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I wonder what disabled people would say to that? The problem is, there's too many physically disabled people that get overlooked or unfairly treated because people assume they have mental problems.
And as far as that goes, assuming people with cognitive/mental disabilties have nothing useful to offer, too...look at all the contributions made by someone like Temple Grandin for example, whose autism is deeply bound up in her extraordinary insights into animal behavior. Or more obviously, someone like Stephen Hawking as far as profoundly disabling physical conditions go.

I suppose though that as with female infanticide, there are also intertwined cultural and socioeconomic factors feeding into the perception (to the extent it exists) that it's simply more expedient to kill off those who might be "burdens" before they get a chance to become that. Most likely it's not entirely due to a state-enforced regimen.

So those of you who make the sad smiley faces, are you sad if a woman has an amniocentesis, finds out she is having a Down's baby (or some other genetic disease or deformity), and decides to abort it? Or is it only when a human is killed *after* it is born that it is sad? :sad:

bonosloveslave said:
So those of you who make the sad smiley faces, are you sad if a woman has an amniocentesis, finds out she is having a Down's baby (or some other genetic disease or deformity), and decides to abort it? Or is it only when a human is killed *after* it is born that it is sad? :sad:

I knew someone would change the subject to this...

It's the fact there is no choice.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I knew someone would change the subject to this...

It's the fact there is no choice.

I see these scenarios as very similar - not trying to change the subject...

Who has no choice? If they are killed in the home, to me that says it is the parent(s) that are choosing to do it (as abortion is a choice) - so who has 'no choice'? The born/unborn babies?

bonosloveslave said:

To me it's sad in both situations. I could never imagine aborting a child because there will be something wrong with it when it's born. Still a human being no matter it's physical or mental condition is. As for killing a baby after it's born that's just downright sick! :mad: Personally it makes me wonder what kind of world that we are living in.

bonosloveslave said:

I think it's sad either way. Yes, it could be really a shocker at first for the mom that they have a deformity but she will still love this baby. If I found out that I was having a baby with a genetic disease or deformity I would love the baby no matter what. Who has the right to take away a human being's life just because it's different from the rest of us? For these jerks to just kill them because they have a deformity is just sickening.

Someone mentioned if the parents had any say. Do they?

yolland said:

And as far as that goes, assuming people with cognitive/mental disabilties have nothing useful to offer, too...look at all the contributions made by someone like Temple Grandin for example, whose autism is deeply bound up in her extraordinary insights into animal behavior.

Thanks for mentioning this lady! She's my idol! I'm autistic.

Back
Top Bottom