3rd Presidential Debate - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2004, 03:43 PM   #91
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:45 AM
that gw is still a hubba hubba man

Old 10-14-2004, 05:54 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Can somebody explain to me how:

Prescription drugs from Canada = BAD
Flu shot from Canada = GOOD

Please, anyone?

Also, I loved how Bush lied right in the first 15 minutes or so regarding OBL. And it's totally delicious that the video is all over the place.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:43 PM   #93
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Canada is only a third world country when Bush needs it to be.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:01 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Boston01
"Understanding Tax Cuts"
by: David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for dinner,
so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it
came time to pay the bill, they discovered something
important. They didn't have enough money between
all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college
professors, is how our tax system works. The
people who pay the highest taxes get the most
benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much,
attack them for being wealthy, and they just may
not show up anymore. In fact, they might start
eating overseas where the atmosphere is
somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D
Professor of Economics
University of Georgia
To be a Ph. D., this comparison seems not exact enough. I would wonder if the richest 10% of the American population paid 59% or 49% of all the U.S. taxes. Is that a fact? I don´t think so. Maybe the richest 10% (or rather 2-3%?) pay 59% or 49% of what they earn (tax deductible amount), but not more or less the half of all the taxes.

Therefore, if the 10th person doesn´t show up, the other 90% of the population still can pay "dinner", if you equivalate dinner with all the taxes that have to be paid. If they can´t pay, maybe they´ll just go somewhere else - in another restaurant where you can eat cheaper. Indeed, the whole menu for all of the ten persons was decided by the tenth person by lobbying the kitchen.

If the people who pay the highest taxes settle (or "eat") somewhere else, the reason could be that its cheaper there.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:07 PM   #95
The Fly

Local Time: 06:45 PM
hiphop,
do u still love the america?

diamond
Old 10-14-2004, 10:13 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yes, I love America, man. It´s a great country. It pissed me off in various ways, but anyway its great. Especially for all the nature you got. New Orleans was just amazing. Grand Canyon the same.

You should vote Kerry, diamond.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:37 AM   #97
Refugee

Local Time: 06:45 PM
I would just like to say that this whole issue regarding Kerry's mentioning of Mary Cheney is totally ludicrous. Flat out stupidity. If anyone is trying to gain political ground here for the comment, are the Cheneys Sr. with their performances as the 'offended parents'.

Its funny how, when Edwards mentioned Cheney's daughter, Cheney replied with a 'thank you for your kind comments'. But when Kerry tries to offer a similar observation by saying that everyone is God's children, he gets berated by the suddenly offended parents.

I find it quite significant that Mary Cheney herself has not, to this date, commented at all.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 10-15-2004, 06:21 AM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Yes, I love America, man. It´s a great country. It pissed me off in various ways, but anyway its great. Especially for all the nature you got. New Orleans was just amazing. Grand Canyon the same.

You should vote Kerry, diamond.
Grand Canyon?
Why didn't you look me up when you were in my backyard?

Also did your opinon change a bit of Republicans when you met some in the flesh realizing their sexiness or has it remain the same?

db9
Old 10-15-2004, 06:42 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The Canyon was just a oneday tour starting from Vegas. Sorry for not ringing you up, wouldve liked to have a few drinks

Actually I only met one rich Republican Lady, in San Jose, Costa Rica. Mentally, she was a bitchy idiot, so I didn´t give a flying f*** about her, just having a few drinks with her and her friends. I didn´t meet any other Republicans who I´d call sexy. In some cases I didn´t have time to find out if they were Republicans or Democrats
Old 10-15-2004, 06:45 AM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

im here to break the stereotype
Old 10-15-2004, 08:12 AM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Quote:
Do you mean that many Americans are the opinion that consensus building is not for the good of the interests of their own nation?
As I noted in my other post, at times consensus building can be beneficial, at other times consensus building can be a hindrance.

Quote:
I have another question - haven´t heard a "conservative reply" on this one: what about the American aspirations to be the "Leader of the Free World"? I spoke with Americans who openly told me that I, as a European, should thank America for invading Iraq, because that nation was a threat to all the world etc. etc.; Europeans shopuld be thankful that America makes the world a safer place (which I doubt seriously, mind you! but lets stick to the topic).

If you are an American thinking that America has the right to be the "Leader of the Free World", how on earth do you think this is gonna work out? With a nationalist American, who puts American values on the top, before of any others? Or with a strategy of consensus?
There are many who think the US is already the leader of the free world and that we don't need to "apply" for the position again. In essence, if the US acts in its own best interest, it should be the best interest for the rest of you.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just trying to explain what I believe the mindset to be.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:14 AM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I think that's probably true and a very sad statement about the arrogance and ignorance of this segment of the US population.
The DNC needs to learn to attract this base, instead of dismissing it as "arrogant" or "ignorant". I doubt the "we are just smarter than you" theme will help win elections.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

There are many who think the US is already the leader of the free world and that we don't need to "apply" for the position again. In essence, if the US acts in its own best interest, it should be the best interest for the rest of you.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just trying to explain what I believe the mindset to be.
How come many are already thinking so?

The U.S. isn´t the leader of the free world. If the world is free, there is no leader.

For this position, the U.S. would need to apply again and again - every day, to every country, to every man on the street. Actions speak louder than words.

Also, it isn´t enough to think you´re the "leader", you have to prove it constantly. Apart of that, you can´t be the leader, if most other countries do not agree.

First of all, I think this mindset is misled and arrogant. I also think its wrong; the U.S. interest can´t be the same like the interest of all other nations - see United Nations.

So this mindset is a little naive, excuse me but it is, because it just doesn´t acknowledge the fact there are 6 billions of people, not only all the U.S. inhabitants who "know whats best".

"The rest of you" includes so many different countries, people and opinions.

Anyway, I can understand the mindset - like mentioned before, historically the French were thinking the same.

This is a very dangerous mindset. To say it clearly, this mindset is about power. The U.S. is the most powerful nation on earth - and power corrupts.

In reality people who have this mindset want to dominate the world. Let´s face it, that´s what it´s all about. I don´t believe the majority of U.S. Citizens with this mindset are naive - I think they are arrogant nationalists, misled and corrupted by consuming. Probably they don´t have enough TVs.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:33 AM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I'm not saying this is right or wrong
I would also like your personal opinion. Do you think its right, or wrong?
Old 10-15-2004, 09:56 AM   #105
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:

The DNC needs to learn to attract this base, instead of dismissing it as "arrogant" or "ignorant". I doubt the "we are just smarter than you" theme will help win elections.
How else would you describe a group of people who dismiss everything outside their tiny known world.