3rd Presidential Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The CBS poll, released shortly after the debate put Kerry the winner at 39%, Bush at 25% and 36% declared it a tie. That's a 14% lead over Bush. That's a much more substantial lead than after the 2nd debate.

The ABC poll which had 8% more Republicans polled put Kerry the winner at 42% to Bush at 41% - statistically insignificant unless you factor in that more Republicans were surveyed.

I do follow that MSNBC blog but there's a VH1 comedian at CNN who's quite funny too. (and if you're a LEFT LEANING LIBERAL like myself, and proud of it!!, then Paul Begala's blogg is quite hilarious too!)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/blog/10/13/begala.blog/

wow watching MSNBC after hours and Kathy Griffin (whom I always assumed was a C-List pinhead) just gave Scarborough a verbal whupass on them trying to spin Kerry's mentioning of Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter as meanspirited and disgusting...........very entertaining tv folks

Xavier

kinda upset that this conversation isn't as enthusiastic as the last two........really wanted to bring up the best zinger of the night

"Being lectured by the president about fiscal responsibility is a little bit like Tony Soprano lecturing me about law and order in this country,"

Xavier

(last post I swear)

EdgeVox said:
kinda upset that this conversation isn't as enthusiastic as the last two........really wanted to bring up the best zinger of the night

"Being lectured by the president about fiscal responsibility is a little bit like Tony Soprano lecturing me about law and order in this country,"

Xavier

(last post I swear)

Great quote!

I thought this was the closest one. I did think it was ridiculous when Bush answered a question about jobs with something about education. He was doing fine, and then in my opinion he made a big mistake with that question. My parents started yelling! I didn't think Kerry made any mistakes.

I thought it was low of Kerry to bring up Cheneys daughter.

DEBATE MODERATOR: Do you believe homosexuality is a choice?

GEORGE BUSH: You know, Bob, I don't know. We just don't know. I do know that we have a choice to make in America, and that is to treat people with tolerance and respect and dignity. It's important that we do that.

I also know in a free society people� consenting adults, can live the way they want to live, and that's to be honoured. But as we respect someone's rights and as we profess tolerance, we shouldn't change or have to change our basic views on the sanctity of marriage. I believe in the sanctity of marriage.

JOHN KERRY: I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was, she's being who she was born as. I think if you talk to anybody, it's not choice.

The President and I share the belief that marriage is between a man and a woman. I believe that. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. With respect to DOMA (Defence of Marriage Act) and the marriage laws, the states have always been able to manage those laws, and they're proving today, every state, that they can manage them adequately.

Dragging in the VP's daughter, poor form.

Last edited:
I don't agree w/ Kerry bring up Cheney's daughter either, even though I certainly agree in general terms w/ what he said, except that I have no problem w/ gay marriage.

I agree verte about the way Bush answered that jobs question-lame!

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't agree w/ Kerry bring up Cheney's daughter either, even though I certainly agree in general terms w/ what he said, except that I have no problem w/ gay marriage.

I agree verte about the way Bush answered that jobs question-lame!

I agree.

I also think Bush looked crazy and unstable but that's nothing new.

namkcuR said:
I don't want a down-to-earth easy-going guy for my president, damnit! I want someone who can meet with other world-leaders and speak like an adult!

Ding ding! We have a winner. :D

Can I direct us to the living wage issue? Kerry had a great answer, and Bush essentially...erm...redirected to NCLB, which makes no sense. NCLB is a K-12 legislation. Some one who lost her job should go back to high school? :eyebrow:

I do wish Kerry had been more energetic and consise, like he was in #2, but whatever. I did get a laugh out of some conservative commentors complaining that voters can't connect to Kerry because he uses too many "cold facts". Yeah, we voters hate those. LOL. Bush did well with "his" kind of question (religion, etc) but on actual policy questions, he evaded. And WHY did he deny saying he wasn't concerned about UBL? I *remember* him saying it, and every news station that has it on tape does too. :down:

I also wish Kerry'd nail Bush on the Pentagon's stop loss policy and be more clear on WHY Bush's tax cuts are "for the rich." Some folks think it's just rhetoric because Kerry doesn't really clarify, althought he's correct in his assessment.

Anyway, on to the polls.

The next few weeks will be NASTY and fascinating. I don't think Bush did what he needed to do, which was to stop and reverse Kerry's edge in the polls. I can guarantee you there'll be some DIRRRTY tricks between now and Nov 2. It's so f***ing close no one can make a defninitive prediction at this point.

Great debate though! :D

A_Wanderer said:
I thought it was low of Kerry to bring up Cheneys daughter.

Dragging in the VP's daughter, poor form.

There is nothing to be ashamed of being homosexual - so i don't think it's a problem speaking about it.
If she would marry a young man in the next weeks and he spoke about it would you call it a "poor form" too ?

I thought it was funny to see Bush claim he doesn't want to push his religious beliefs on to people and then continue to flaunt his Defense of Marriage and Faith-based Initiatives nonsense. :der:

I agree that it is nothing to be ashamed about (as anyone can see in the Gay marriage thread) but a large section of the American population does not. Kerry was asked a question and he decided to make it personal - and that is wrong.

If Mary Cheney wants to make it an issue herself then fine. But having a political adversary do it is downright low.

Klaus said:

There is nothing to be ashamed of being homosexual - so i don't think it's a problem speaking about it.
If she would marry a young man in the next weeks and he spoke about it would you call it a "poor form" too ?

It's not an issue of shame at all. It's holding her up as the token lesbian in a political campaign, a lesbian who happens to be a Republican. There's just something slightly sleazy about Kerry and Edwards bringing it up although I agreed with everything else that Kerry said (except that I am also for gay marriage).

Klaus said:

I agree with A_Wanderer on this one. I don't see the political value in bringing the VP's daughter into this whether she is gay or not. Virtually al gay people I know are getting tired of being referred to as the gay guy/girl/daughter etc.

shart1780 said:
While Bush isn't a really great speaker (like it really has an affect on how one leads a country)
uhh....maybe not, but being intelligent and making the right decisions without being a stubborn, arrogant idiot and dividing the united states from the rest of the world does.

Originally posted by shart1780 I think he's a more down to earth, easy going guy, which I like more.

sure...if you're planning on hanging out and drinkin some beer with him. maybe the leader of the free world, however, needs some other qualities, like intelligence, patience, understanding of complex issues, and the ability to know right from wrong.

Lynn Cheney says John Kerry's reference to her daughter in last night's debate was a "cheap and tawdry political trick."
Kerry was asked by the moderator if homosexuality is a choice. He noted that Vice President Dick Cheney's daughter Mary is a lesbian. Kerry said Mary Cheney would probably say that she was born that way. Lynn Cheney says Kerry invaded her family's privacy.

She says it gave her another chance to "assess" John Kerry, and she says it only reinforced her opinion that "This is not a good man." Cheney says she's "speaking as a mom, and a pretty indignant mom."

She made the comments while introducing the Vice President to a crowd of 800 Pittsburgh-area supporters. Dick Cheney didn't mention the topic in his remarks.
http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=2428171

yeah, there's no reason to be indignant if you're comfortable with your daughters sexuality.
all kerry was doing was stating a fact: that she's a lesbian.
it's the same as if Bush said "Saddam Hussein is an immiment threat".
oh wait a minute....no it's not.:|

In addition, the fact that homosexuality has to be brought up in a presidential debate (or any political debate, see European Union) shows we still have a long way to go.

DrTeeth said:
I thought it was funny to see Bush claim he doesn't want to push his religious beliefs on to people and then continue to flaunt his Defense of Marriage and Faith-based Initiatives nonsense. :der:

Consider the difference between a person "pushing" his views on the public and the public seeking laws that are aligned with their own views.

JOFO said:

uhh....maybe not, but being intelligent and making the right decisions without being a stubborn, arrogant idiot and dividing the united states from the rest of the world does.

sure...if you're planning on hanging out and drinkin some beer with him. maybe the leader of the free world, however, needs some other qualities, like intelligence, patience, understanding the ability to know right from wrong.
clinton.gif
:D

Back
Top Bottom