$35 Million - Is it enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bammo2 said:

I hate the fact that this thread has been derailed, but I couldn't let this comment pass

????????????????????????????

the US were key in the defeat of Nazi Germany yes, along with many other nations.

I'm sorry, but I was responding to complete rubbish about how the United States "does not care".

I'm well aware of other nations involvement in World War II but I am also aware that if this "uncaring nation" had chosen not to get involved in that war, defeating Nazi Germany would not have been impossible.

It is not enough, but it IS a start. And absolutely not, political differences have NO PLACE WHATSOEVER in this.

But I also don't think this should be used as a reason to bash the US and Americans, or to bring extraneous matters into it.

STING2 said:

My friends in Iraq would find these statements absured! Everyday they risk their lives to protect and improve the lives of millions of non-US citizens!

The United States defeated Nazi Germany, protected the planet from the Expansion of Soviet control and dictatorship, and currently spends far more money defending the planets vital regions and global economy, without which, there would be little money if any to give to victims of natural disasters.
Iraq,....it is all about oil and without the 10 milion russians that died in wwII the usa had no chance at all winning it .

strannix said:

For the record, I'm not aware of any Indonesians that have said, here or elsewhere, "Not enough asshole," or anything like it. That's an irresponsible thing for you to write.

I didn't say any Indonesians said that, I'm paraphrasing the reaction of many in here to such a generous offer. More criticisms than thanks.

Before this thread is closed down, I want to give MY final word:

Those who believe that aid should only go to governments that support every policy our country proposes on every issue they mention, we'd have to end aid to even ourselves. The people who are dying or dead probably have little option on U.S. diplomacy, and have probably never heard the word "diplomacy" either.

We set the example for the rest of the world, and throwing a couple of coins in the pot, when we control the vast majority of wealth in the world, sets a disgraceful example.

Bush was always a moron...

but...

now I realize he's a stupid, greedy, hypocritical moron.

Rono said:
Iraq,....it is all about oil

It is extremely misguided, but not about oil, it is about finishing what Daddy didn't have the will to do when he had a chance.

Iraq's oil industry is rumored to be 10 years' worth of investment and upgrade away from being amajor player again, it's current outpout, even if maximized, would only pay for a fraction of what the US is pumping into Iraq.

Rono said:

and without the 10 milion russians that died in wwII the usa had no chance at all winning it .

Without the US, the Western allies had no chance of winning it.

Danospano said:
Before this thread is closed down, I want to give MY final word:

Those who believe that aid should only go to governments that support every policy our country proposes on every issue they mention, we'd have to end aid to even ourselves. The people who are dying or dead probably have little option on U.S. diplomacy, and have probably never heard the word "diplomacy" either.

We set the example for the rest of the world, and throwing a couple of coins in the pot, when we control the vast majority of wealth in the world, sets a disgraceful example.

Bush was always a moron...

but...

now I realize he's a stupid, greedy, hypocritical moron.

Respectfully, you have no idea how the government of the US works.

The aid amount has to be legislated, Bush can't just wake up and write a check.

If you check any of the major news sites you'll see that congress is planning to address this as soon as they reconvene.

Before calling others stupid, you should really check the facts.

bunny.gif

" White House budget office spokesman Chad Kolton said budget officials were working to assess what funds could be freed up without legislative action."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_response_to_the_2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake

i found this linked from bbc

Country Government NGOs & Public
World Bank USD $250m n/a
United Kingdom £50m (USD $96m) £25m (USD 48m)
Sweden €54m (USD $75m) ?
Spain €51m (USD $69.3m) ?
France USD $57m ?
European Union USD $44m ?
Japan ¥4bn (USD $40m) ?
United States $35m $70m
Canada $40m (USD $33m) $8.5m (USD 7m)
Australia $42.5m (USD $32.5m) $20m (USD 15.4m)
Norway USD $16.4m ?
Denmark USD $15.6m ?
Saudi Arabia USD $10m ?
Taiwan USD $5.1m ?
Finland USD $3.4m ?
Netherlands USD $2.6m ?
Kuwait USD $2.1m ?
United Arab Emirates USD $2m ?
Ireland USD $1.3m ?
Singapore USD $1.2m ?

FizzingWhizzbees said:
maybe fym's not so different after all...well-intentioned threads torn off track by the zealots.

I think this happens in most of fym. I dont know why people feel the need to drag all sorts of excess baggage into discussions.

foray said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_response_to_the_2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake

i found this linked from bbc

Country Government NGOs & Public
World Bank USD $250m n/a
United Kingdom £50m (USD $96m) £25m (USD 48m)
Sweden €54m (USD $75m) ?
Spain €51m (USD $69.3m) ?
France USD $57m ?
European Union USD $44m ?
Japan ¥4bn (USD $40m) ?
United States $35m $70m
Canada $40m (USD $33m) $8.5m (USD 7m)
Australia $42.5m (USD $32.5m) $20m (USD 15.4m)
Norway USD $16.4m ?
Denmark USD $15.6m ?
Saudi Arabia USD $10m ?
Taiwan USD $5.1m ?
Finland USD $3.4m ?
Netherlands USD $2.6m ?
Kuwait USD $2.1m ?
United Arab Emirates USD $2m ?
Ireland USD $1.3m ?
Singapore USD $1.2m ?

Thanks for that foray. :up:

I think Im going to ban myself from fym. I become too irritated by the little subtopic wars that are going on in here so I hereby ban myself.

Except for the earthquake thread.

LOL. I think not!

I get way too irritated. Threads start out like this one, a topic that should be able to be discussed and end ups about Bush Snr, Nazis, and crap knows what else.

Its just one big circle, Bush, Nazis, abortion, Christianity, rinse and repeat.

Very few actual topics get discussed in here.

PS Wheres Klaus? I miss him.

A guy was drowning in the ocean, 50 feet offshore.

A conservative saw him, threw out 25 feet of rope, and yelled "swim for it!"

----------------------------

A guy was drowning in the ocean, 50 feet offshore.

A liberal saw him, threw out 50 feet of rope, dropped his own end and went off to perform another good deed.

beli said:

PS Wheres Klaus? I miss him.

I have been in touch with Klaus. He is well, but will not participate in interference anymore due to the fake Edge.

I have tried to get him to come back.:(

Back
Top Bottom