346 similarities between christ and chrishna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Se7en

Rock n' Roll Doggie
well since religious threads are making a comback i thought i would jump on the bandwagon. i have only included about 130 of the similarities here:

1. The advent of each Savior was miraculously foretold by prophets.
2. The fallen and degenerate condition of the human race is taught in the religion of each.
3. A plan of restoration or salvation is provided for in each case.
4. A divine Savior is considered necessary in both cases.
5. The necessity of atoning for sin is taught in the religion of each.
6. A God, or Son of God, is selected as the victim for the atoning sacrifice in each case.
7. This God is sent down from heaven in each case in the form of a man.
8. The God or Savior in each case is the second person of the Trinity.
9. Chrishna, as well as Christ, was held to be really God incarnate.
10. The mission of each Savior is the same.
11. There is a resemblance in name __ Chrishna and Christ.
12. Chrishna, as well as Christ, was incarnated and born of a woman.
13. The mother in each case was a holy virgin.
14. The same peculiarities of a miraculous conception and birth are related of each.
15. Each had an adopted earthly father.
16. The father of Chrishna, as well as that of Christ, was a carpenter.
17. God is claimed as the real father in both cases.
18. A Spirit or Ghost was the author of the conception of each.
19. There was rejoicing on earth when each Savior was born.
20. There was also joy in heaven at the birth and advent of each.
21. Chrishna, as well as Christ, was of royal descent.
22. Their mothers were both reputedly pious women.
23. The names of two mothers are somewhat similar __ Mary and Maia.
24. Each had a special female friend __ Elizabeth in the one case, and the wife of Nanda in the other.
25. Neither Savior was born in a house, but both in obscure situations.
26. Both were born on the 25th of December.
27. Both, at birth, were visited by wise men and shepherds.
28. The visitors were conducted by a star in each case.
29. The rite of purification was observed by the mothers of each.
30. An angel warns of impending danger in each case.
31. The incumbent ruler was hostile in each case.
32. A bloody decree in each case for the destruction of the infant Savior.
33. A flight of the parents takes place in both cases.
34. The parents of one sojourned at Muturea, the other at Mathura.
35. Each Savior had a forerunner __ John the Baptist in one case, Bali Rama in the other.
36. Both were preternaturally smart in childhood.
37. Each disputed with and vanquished learned opponents.
38. Both became objects of search by their parents.
39. And both occasioned anxiety, if not sorrow, to their parents.
40. The mother of each had other children __ that is children begotten by man as well as God.
41. Both Saviors retired to, and spent considerable time in the wilderness.
42. The religious rite of "fasting" was practiced by each Savior.
43. Each delivered a noteworthy sermon, or series of moral lessons.
44. Chrishna, as well as Christ, was called and considered God.
45. Each was both God and the Son of God (so regarded).
46. "Savior" was one of the divine titles of each.
47. Each was designated "the Savior of man," "the Savior of the world," etc;.
48. Both expressed a desire to "save all."
49. Each sustained the character of a Messiah.
50. Chrishna, as well as Christ, was a Redeemer.
51. Each Savior was called "Shepherd."
52. Both were believed to be the Creator of the world.
53. Each is sometimes spoken of, also, as only an agent in the creation.
54. Both were the "Light and Life" of men.
55. Each "brought life and immortality to light."
56. Both are represented as "the seed of the woman bruising the serpent's head."
57. Was Christ a "Dispenser of grace," so was the Hindoo Savior.
58. One was "the lion of the tribe of Judah," the other "the lion of the tribe of Saki."
59. Christ was "the Beginning of the End," Chrishna "the Beginning, the Middle, and the End."
60. Both proclaimed, "I am the Resurrection."
61. Each was "the way to the Father."
62. Both represented emblematically "the Sun of Righteousness."
63. Each is figuratively represented as being "all in all."
64. Both speak of having existed prior to human birth.
65. A dual existence __ an existence in both heaven and earth at once __ is claimed by or for both.
66. Chrishna, as well as Christ, was "without sin."
67. Both assumed the divine prerogative of forgiving sins.
68. The mission of each was to deliver from sin.
69. Both came to destroy the devil and his works.
70. The doctrine of the "atonement" is practically realized in each case.
71. Each made a voluntary offering for the sins of the world.
72. Both were human as well as divine.
73. Chrishna, as well as Christ, was worshiped as God absolute.
74. Each was regarded as "the Lord from Heaven."
75. Chrishna, as well as Christ, had applied to him all the attributes of God.
76. Was Christ omniscient, so was Chrishna.
77. Was one omnipotent, so was the other (so believed).
78. And both are represented as being omnipresent.
79. Each was believed to be divinely perfect.
80. Was one "Lord of lords," so was the other.
81. Each embodied the "power and wisdom of God."
82. All power was committed unto each (so claimed).
83. Chrishna performed many miracles as well as did Christ.
84. One of the first miracles of each was the cure of a leper.
85. Each healed "all manner of diseases."
86. The work of casting out devils constitutes a part of the mission of each.
87. Each practically proved his power to raise the dead.
88. A miracle appertaining to a tree is related of both.
89. Both could read the thoughts of the people.
90. The power to detect and eject evil spirits was claimed by both.
91. Both had the keys or control of death.
92. Each led an extraordinary life.
93. Each had a character for supernatural greatness.
94. Both possessed or claimed a oneness with the Father.
95. A "oneness with his Lord and Master" is claimed, also, for the disciples of each.
96. A strong reciprocal affection between Master and disciple in each case.
97. Each offers to shoulder the burdens of his disciples.
98. A portion of the life of each was spent in preaching.
99. Both made converts by their miracles and preaching.
100. A numerous retinue of believers springs up in each case.
101. Both had commissioned apostles to proclaim their religion.
102. Each was an innovator upon the antecedent religion.
103. A beautiful reform in religion was inaugurated by each Savior.
104. Each opposed the existing popular priesthood.
105. Both abolished the law of lineal descent in the ancient priesthood.
106. Each was an object of conspiracy by his enemies.
107. Humility and external poverty distinguished the life of each.
108. Each denounced riches and rich men, and loathed and detested wealth
109. Both had a character for meekness.
110. Chastity or unmarried life was a distinguishing characteristic of each.
111. Mercy was a noteworthy characteristic of each.
112. Both were censured for associating with sinners.
113. Each was a special friend to the poor.
114. A poor widow woman receives marked attention by each.
115. Each encounters a gentile woman at a well.
116. Both submitted unresistingly to injuries and insults.
117. General practical philanthropy and impartiality marks the life of each Savior.
118. Each took more pleasure in repentant sinners than in virtuous saints,
119. Both practically disclosed God's attempt to reconcile the world to himself.
120. The closing incidents in the earth_life of each were strikingly similar.
121. A memorable last supper marked the closing career of both.
122. Both were put to death by "wicked hands."
123. Chrishna, as well as Christ, was crucified.
124. Darkness attended the crucifixion of each.
125. Both were crucified between two thieves.
126. Each is reported to have forgiven his enemies.
127. The age of each at death corresponds (being between thirty and thirty_six years)
128. Each, after giving up the ghost, descends into hell.
129. The resurrection from the dead is a marked period in the history of each.
130. Each ascends to heaven after his resurrection.
131. Many people are reported to have witnessed the ascension in each case.
132. Each is reported as having both descended and ascended.
133. The head of each, while living on earth, was anointed with oil.

discuss.

Krisna
Krsna
Krishna

I never saw it spelled Chrishna during the two years I studied Sanskrit. If you directly transliterate the Devanagari script of Sanskrit, the spelling is Krsna. The vowel i is part of the r as it's written, and the s had a part of it that gives it the sh sound.

martha said:
Krisna
Krsna
Krishna

I never saw it spelled Chrishna during the two years I studied Sanskrit. If you directly transliterate the Devanagari script of Sanskrit, the spelling is Krsna. The vowel i is part of the r as it's written, and the s had a part of it that gives it the sh sound.

now that you say that i don't know if i've ever seen it with the CH either. moot point a suppose.

anyway the text is from 1875, maybe that has something to do with it?

All of the stories borrow from each other

For a belief system to succeed it must fit the culture it is introduced in and offer something believers can/will accept.

One objection I have is the birthdate of each. Christ wasn't born on December 25. His actual birthdate is unknown. The 25th actually used to be a pagan holiday, but Christians, in a sense, took it over and it has stuck. Some believe Christ was actually born in the spring time.

coemgen said:
One objection I have is the birthdate of each. Christ wasn't born on December 25. His actual birthdate is unknown. The 25th actually used to be a pagan holiday, but Christians, in a sense, took it over and it has stuck. Some believe Christ was actually born in the spring time.

excellent point

My mom once read me an article whose authors thought Christ was born on Sept. 11. She read it to me b/c Sept 11 is my b-day (this was before 2001 anyway).

This seems all well and good, but to say Christianity and the International Society for Krishna Consciousness or Hare Krishna, which I'm assuming you're referencing here, are the same is a falsehood. One big problem is the Krishna faiths' plans of salvation. Your salvation depends on the idea of karma. People go through reincarnation in response to karma. (They claim you can be reincarnated as many as 8.4 million times). The caste system, which is used in India, was created by Krishna. Does this sound like a loving faith where what you do in your past life depends your current position in life? Doesn't sound like a very forgiving faith. Also, your salvation depends on how well you follow the spiritual disciplines of ISKC.
Salvation is an act of God's grace. It can't be earned through any human action (Ephesians 2:8-10).

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Krishna was crucified?

irishcrucifix.jpg

egyptcrucifix.jpg

coemgen said:
This seems all well and good, but to say Christianity and the International Society for Krishna Consciousness or Hare Krishna, which I'm assuming you're referencing here, are the same is a falsehood. One big problem is the Krishna faiths' plans of salvation. Your salvation depends on the idea of karma. People go through reincarnation in response to karma. (They claim you can be reincarnated as many as 8.4 million times). The caste system, which is used in India, was created by Krishna. Does this sound like a loving faith where what you do in your past life depends your current position in life? Doesn't sound like a very forgiving faith. Also, your salvation depends on how well you follow the spiritual disciplines of ISKC.
Salvation is an act of God's grace. It can't be earned through any human action (Ephesians 2:8-10).

You want to be a scholar, but you really need to understand the fundamental difference between the Krishna group and Hinduism, which is what is "referenced" here. Hinduism is thousands of years old, while the Krishna group is maybe a century old at best. Please understand that Hinduism has as much to with the Krishna group as Christianity has to do with Lyndon LaRouche.

Last edited:
U2 covered that song on their last night in Miami Elevation 12-2-01, U2democrat. Just in case you weren't aware of it.

That's why I assumed he was talking about hare krishna because of the date. You're right Martha, Hinduism is different. : ) By the way, I'm not far from being considered a scholar. I'm just a another chump whose read some stuff. I get this way sometimes...:blahblah:

I'm interested in the differences between religions — they're not all the same like some people think.

You're right. Hinduism, from what I know, still has a salvation plan that includes practicing good deeds and ceremonial rituals and obtaining knowledge and all that stuff, or obeying a certain deity. It can be obtained through any one of those. This is very different from Christianity. It's based on what you do, instead of what has been done for you. Through an acceptance of Christ and his sacrifice and the atoning of our sins, we're seen as "righteous" in God's eyes. There's nothing we can do to earn Salvation, you accept it as a gift. Hinduism's actually more of a belief system than a religion. I might be wrong but there's no "founder" of hinduism on record. Plus, like Hare Krishna, it believes in karma and reincarnation. I just see it as a very empty belief system, ya know? Where's the love? Forgiveness? The lyrics from "Grace" say it all — she travels outside of karma... I apologize if I'm beating anyone over the head with this, I don't mean to sound full of myself. It just means a lot to me.

coemgen said:
You're right. Hinduism, from what I know, still has a salvation plan that includes practicing good deeds and ceremonial rituals and obtaining knowledge and all that stuff, or obeying a certain deity. It can be obtained through any one of those. This is very different from Christianity. It's based on what you do, instead of what has been done for you. Through an acceptance of Christ and his sacrifice and the atoning of our sins, we're seen as "righteous" in God's eyes.

Yeah, but to accept Christ is also to live by his teachings, so accepting Christ and then blowing up the Murrah Federal building, or beating up gays, etc does not make you a Christian. It's easy to say "I accept Christ", but if you don't show it by your actions it's nothign but ahollow gesture

Right on, brotha. But at the same time, if you're blowing up the Murrah Federal building or beating up gays, my guess is you haven't accepted Christ. You know? You're dead on about there being "Christians" out there who are only Christian by name. They give the faith a bad rap. But then again, all Christians are hypocrites anyway. We all strive to live a perfect, Christ-like life, but we can't. And God knows this, that's why Christ died in our place, for us, and payed the penalty of sin, death, so we didn't have to.
In terms of salvation, it only comes from accepting Christ and receiving forgiveness. Seeking to live by his teachings is the result of that, or the next step. But it's the first step, accepting him as your savior and Lord, that gets you into heaven. There's a tendancy for religions to put all the pressure on the person to achieve holiness. The fact is, God is the very definition of holy, therfore how can we, his lowly creation, be as holy as he is? Only by accepting his sacrifice. His son. His "sacrifical lamb". For me, as a Christian, I'll be the first to tell you I've done some very "Un-Christian" things, but we all do and God realized this. That's where forgiveness and grace come in, and they don't give us a right to sin. I can't go steal something and say "Oh, I'll just ask for forgiveness later." God deals with the condition of our hearts. If I justified sinning like that, or blew up a building or hated homosexuals, then he's going to deal with me where I'm at, which is with a sinful heart.
(wow, sorry to put you through all that :huh:

coemgen said:
You're right. Hinduism, from what I know, still has a salvation plan that includes practicing good deeds and ceremonial rituals and obtaining knowledge and all that stuff, or obeying a certain deity. It can be obtained through any one of those. This is very different from Christianity. It's based on what you do, instead of what has been done for you. Through an acceptance of Christ and his sacrifice and the atoning of our sins, we're seen as "righteous" in God's eyes. There's nothing we can do to earn Salvation, you accept it as a gift. Hinduism's actually more of a belief system than a religion. I might be wrong but there's no "founder" of hinduism on record. Plus, like Hare Krishna, it believes in karma and reincarnation. I just see it as a very empty belief system, ya know? Where's the love? Forgiveness? The lyrics from "Grace" say it all — she travels outside of karma... I apologize if I'm beating anyone over the head with this, I don't mean to sound full of myself. It just means a lot to me.

No. This post is pretty much right on target.

(Ok. This is how lame I am. I nearly capitalized target twice because I spend too much time there.)

That's a good one deep. :wink: I'll make you a grilled cheese if you want? Did you hear how old that one was that they put on eBay? :barf:

coemgen said:
Right on, brotha. But at the same time, if you're blowing up the Murrah Federal building or beating up gays, my guess is you haven't accepted Christ. You know?

Go tell McVeigh, or Pat Robertson, or Pat Buchanan. All supposed Christians.

As th epastor our church (Rick Warren) once said when asked what he thought Jesus would be doing if he came back today, "probably working in an AIDS hospice"

I think he should get together w. Bono.........

I love this topic, because I recently read a book called 'The Hiram Key" and it mentioned similarities in several religions that preceeding Christianity (Virgin's giving birth to babies, a peaceful human somehow being the offspring of a god, fables about floods and heroics, etc).

One of the main reasons I question all religions is because they so closely resemble ancient religions that we are told are paganistic or foolish concepts of the uncivilized. This connect to Krishna is yet another example and proves that religion is based on faith/stories dealing with mystical entities that watch over us.

Danospano said:
I love this topic, because I recently read a book called 'The Hiram Key" and it mentioned similarities in several religions that preceeding Christianity (Virgin's giving birth to babies, a peaceful human somehow being the offspring of a god, fables about floods and heroics, etc).

One of the main reasons I question all religions is because they so closely resemble ancient religions that we are told are paganistic or foolish concepts of the uncivilized. This connect to Krishna is yet another example and proves that religion is based on faith/stories dealing with mystical entities that watch over us.

Yes, I read "The World of Myth" which was a similar idea. Terribly misleading title, as they included real stories such as Joan of Arc.
They were only excerpts of various world myths/religious stories, but the similarities were mind-boggling.

My British friend (who's much more religous than I am) simply said "Well, I just think God has been trying to get his message across for a very long time." Which is a nice change from the fear or claims of evil one generally hears when discussing such things!

Danospano said:
One of the main reasons I question all religions is because they so closely resemble ancient religions that we are told are paganistic or foolish concepts of the uncivilized.

:yes: When we used to read OT Bible stories in elementary school religion classes, we always learned Ba'al was like some evil pagan God and people would dance around his statue and torture babies or do voodoo or whatever. Then I took some theology courses in college and really had some good laughs b/c some of the OT narratives are based on those of the OLDER Babylonian stories of Ba'al and such. Fortunately, I wasn't that shattered b/c I never placed my entire faith on the OT narratives anyway and I found the courses quite interesting. I never did like religion class in elementary school anyway!

Last edited:
Wow, I don't think they ever let us read the Old Testament, except for a few "kid friendly" stories like Adam and Eve, Joseph, Jacob and Esau, Moses, and the good shepherd psalm.

My strongest memory of religion class is our felt puppet show of Martin Luther and going "Diet of Worms? Who would eat worms?"
It would have been nice if the teacher had cleared that up for us third-graders. :huh:

Everything you wrote about Krishna and his history is INCORRECT.

from his spelling, his mother's name, friend's name and how Krishna forgave...., about Krishna's special friend, about birth of Krishna, about shepherds coming to visit, about how he died.., everything, everything...

Everything is WRONG.. its PLAIN and SIMPLE wrong

Where you got this stuff.. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom