34% - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:59 AM
I heard Bode Miller has a higher approval rating

Old 03-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
That's not going to help the reputation of the US in the world

Old 03-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

Exactly. 34% ain´t a problem, Bush can´t get re-elected anyway so what is this mad frenzy about?

i wouldn't say it's a "mad frenzy" -- what is shows is that the public is quite disgruntled with him, and nervous Republicans up for re-election in 2006 are going to feel increasingly bold about breaking away from the White House agenda and distancing themselves from an embarassingly unpopular president. it demonstrates just how much more difficult it is going to be for Bush to get through any agenda, particularly after 2005 which was easily one of the worst years suffered by any administration in American history.

it has huge implications.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i wouldn't say it's a "mad frenzy" -- what is shows is that the public is quite disgruntled with him, and nervous Republicans up for re-election in 2006 are going to feel increasingly bold about breaking away from the White House agenda and distancing themselves from an embarassingly unpopular president. it demonstrates just how much more difficult it is going to be for Bush to get through any agenda, particularly after 2005 which was easily one of the worst years suffered by any administration in American history.

it has huge implications.

Numbers tell stories.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #35
New Yorker

I agree the implications are huge. It affects how much support he gets from his own party and limits the damage he can do to my country.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Congressional Republicans are uptight. All of the Representatives are up for re-election this year and they want to keep the House. I don't know how many Senators are up for re-election this year but I know some of them are.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Bush's approval rating fell to its lowest level ever in an Associated Press/Ipsos poll this week, dropping to 37 percent from 40 percent last month. Two-thirds of Americans said they believe the country is on the ``wrong track,'' according to the March 6-8 survey.

``I have said all along that I thought the administration didn't handle this very well, and I'm glad now that at least to most people's satisfaction, it's been resolved,'' said Senator Rick Santorum, a Republican from Pennsylvania who is running for a third term this fall.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Old 03-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #39
Refugee

While it can be fun for many to see approval ratings this low, and it gives many of us confidence about the fall elections, lets not forget that nearly every President since World War II has had poll numbers this low or even lower.

The latest CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll has the Presidents approval rating at 38%, actually 1 percentage point higher than his record low which was in November 2005 at 37%.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/...oll/index.html

Here are the lowest approval ratings of all past Presidents since World War II:

Truman: 22% mid-February, 1952

-Eisenhower: 49% mid-July, 1960

-Kennedy: 56% mid-September, 1963

-Johnson: 35% early August, 1968

-Nixon: 24% mid-July, 1974, and early August, 1974

-Ford: 37% early January, 1975, and late March, 1975

-Carter: 28% late June, 1979

-Reagan: 35% late January, 1983

-George H.W. Bush: 29% late July, 1992

-Clinton: 37% early June, 1993

-George W. Bush: 37%* mid-November, 2005

* to date

Source: Gallup polls, 1952-1991; CNN/USA Today/Gallup polls, 1992-present.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/14/bush.poll/

With this in mind, Bush's current approval rating is not bad at all, and was to be expected at some point just based on history. There are only two Presidents with a higher low, than W, Kennedy and Eisenhower. Kennedy did not make it through a full term, so its likely if he had not been murdered, he would have experienced a drop in his second term. Eisenhower served a full 8 years and its incredible his approval rating only dropped to 49%.

Truman is on record with the lowest approval rating of any President since World War II, at 22%. Yet, today he is considered to be one of the greatest Presidents in history.

To sum up, I think we have to be careful about making to much hay out of the latest polls.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Old 03-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Perspective!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:59 AM

After having read that list, I guess Bush is pretty happy with his low approval ratings.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Perspective!
As in, every president goes through periods of low ratings? Reagan, a very popular president, went through at least one, they weren't so great during the 1982 Congressional elections and a Democrat was elected to Congress from my district.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...2231-2,00.html

Through the challenges, the President has kept his human touch. Touring New Orleans last week, he met a man who had survived for days on canned goods before being evacuated to Utah. "Were you the only black man in Salt Lake City?" Bush asked.

Meanwhile, lobbyists and outside Republican strategists are pleading anew for a White House shake-up, arguing that if this were a business, the management would be thrown out. "The Bushies have proved that five people can run the country for four years and one day," a G.O.P. congressional aide complained. The critics are conducting their conversations with the President's men in polite code, such as asking how they can help. "There is a drumbeat," a Bush friend explained, "but it's not resonant in the White House. These are people this Administration, and the President in particular, disdains. You scrape 'em off your shoes--and keep going."
Old 03-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Maoilbheannacht
To sum up, I think we have to be careful about making to much hay out of the latest polls.

but this approval rating has been below 40% for well over a year at this point. further, we're dealing with an increasingly polarized country, so it would be difficult for a president in this climate, of any party, to fall below 30%, and it's statistically impossible, really to fall below 10%. what's telling is how far Bush has tumbled with independents, and how Republicans are choosing to distance themselves from him for the 2006 elections -- look at their xeneophobic reaction to the Dubai port issue.

there's much more to all this than Clinton at 37% early in his first term -- i think you make a mistake by comparing overall low-approval ratings and the comparison would be much more accurate were you to compare W with other 2nd term presidents, (and let's note the trumping by certain administration mouthpieces on this board of "Bush is the first president to receive a majority of votes" which would mean that anything below 50% spells disaster) which would put him far, far lower than Reagan and Clinton, and do note that most of those presidents who had poll numbers as bad as Bush were kicked out of office (Bush 1, Carter) or resigned (Nixon) or chose not to see re-election (LBJ).

in sum: this is bad news, and it might be uniquely bad news for a president at this point in his 2nd term *especially* with troops in harms way (there's always a rally-around-the-flag effect that Bush can't seem to hold onto).