3 most influential people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*BOOMCHAA!*

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I need writing inspiration and want to hear your opinions.
Who are the three most influential people in the world within the last 30 years?

Lessee here, I would have to go with Elmo (of Sesame Street fame), Michael Jackson, and, ummm, Dr. Ruth.

Why?

I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya :mac:

Please note that when I read "influential," that is blind as to whether I think that their influence was good or bad. So I'm going to give you my opinion as to who was influential and what they did, irrelevant of whether I think that their influence is good or bad.

1) Ronald Reagan -- love him or hate him, his actions in the 1980s steered the U.S. and the world on a course all on his own and stimulated a quasi-culture both celebrated and condemned today, depending on who you talk to.

2) Mikhail Gorbachev -- the actions of this man ended the Soviet Union and, subsequently, the Cold War, closing a large chapter of the 20th century's history.

3) Dr. Marcian Edward "Ted" Hoff, Jr. -- inventor of the microprocessor in 1968, and marketed as the Intel 4004 microcomputer in 1971. In other words, his invention started the digital revolution, which has certainly impacted the modern world immensely.

Melon

1.Mikahil Gorbachov
He is the reasonf (form my point of view) for the end of the cold war and because of that wrote the last chapter in the Worldwar II history.

2.Konrad Zuse (1910-1995)
He built the first program controlled computer.

3. Rupert Murdoch
The one who can control media definetly is a influential person.

I was also thinking about:
George W. Bush
His club law politics is a mayor change in iinternational politics - but the next years will show if thisresults in long term problems or was just a bad episode of US foreign politics

or:

Death penalty (1977) in the US is a big thing - but it "just" influenced the US other countries didn't follow that example therefore we don't have to list the people who did this

Klaus

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
I need writing inspiration and want to hear your opinions.
Who are the three most influential people in the world within the last 30 years?

1) Gorbachov- This man was between a rock and a hard place in his day.

2) Ronald Reagan - Good or Bad...he has shaped our present state.

3) Oprah

Peace

I've got to agree with brothers Melon and Dreadsox on #s 1+2

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Mikhail Gorbachev

3. Martin Cooper - acknowledged as the father of the cell phone. Just as Ted Hoff changed the way we process information, Cooper has changed the way we communicate.

(I was tempted to vote for Al Gore as the father of the internet)

nbcrusader said:
(I was tempted to vote for Al Gore as the father of the internet)

It would interest you to know that Al Gore never claimed to be the father of the internet. This was wholly invented by the media. I don't think we wholly realize what the media really does to us and our society...

Melon

i do tend to like the ronald reagan answer too

1. my mom for having me

2. your mom for having you

3. and uhmmmmmmm melon's mom, for having him.

melon said:

It would interest you to know that Al Gore never claimed to be the father of the internet. This was wholly invented by the media. I don't think we wholly realize what the media really does to us and our society...

Melon

Really? Wholly invented by the media?

Wolf Blitzer: I want to get to some of the substance of domestic and international issues in a minute, but let's just wrap up a little bit of the politics right now. Why should Democrats, looking at the Democratic nomination process, support you instead of Bill Bradley, a friend of yours, a former colleague in the Senate? What do you have to bring to this that he doesn't necessarily bring to this process?

Al Gore: Well, I will be offering - I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be.
But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

During a quarter century of public service, including most of it long before I came into my current job, I have worked to try to improve the quality of life in our country and in our world. And what I've seen during that experience is an emerging future that's very exciting, about which I'm very optimistic, and toward which I want to lead.

Remember, this is the same guy who claimed that he and his wife Tipper were the inspiration for the novel Love Story, unbeknownst to its author, Erich Segal.

And, Melon, didn't Coca-Cola invent the modern Santa Claus?

~U2Alabama

nbcrusader said:

Media fabrication or negative spin against Gore?

I am with you....

The man said it.
The man said it at a time when he wanted to make a connection with the people.
It backfired........

LOL

Melon....Bama quoted him accurately. Its all in the spin.

Peace

inventions and innovations

well he said it. but its clear thats not what he intended.

this is about as silly as the whole 'half of the worlds population has never made a phone call debate'.

something also discussed in wired recently...

Melon:

Thanks for posting the article, or, thesis I should say. It does point out the inaccuracy of the LOVE STORY claim and deserves credit for that.

However, Gore's back-stepping on his internet statement convinces me that he is very skilled in something that is a popular cultural tradition in the state of Tennessee (and many other Southern states), and that is Square & Round Dancing; he can do the Green Apple Quick Step faster than anyone around.

Regardless of HOW he said it, Gore claimed credit for the internet in an attempt to get votes. If I ever meet him in person, I will taunt him over that and tell him that I saw him drunk on ABC Sports one night when the Tennessee Volunteers were winning the football national championship.

For that matter, in my lifetime, I have helped the poor, recycled aluminum cans, supported our troops, taken in a stray animal, and gotten drunk. Will any of you vote for me? Thank you for your support.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom