3 medstudents denied jobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think that the woman didn't have the right to eavesdrop just because they looked suspicious.....if that happened in every country and people got sacked because of a joke (that they may not even have made) then there would be international shortages of jobs......just because a few muslims are terrorists (and other nationalities are as well...) it doesn't mean that we should judge the whole race accordingly.

Dreadsox said:
It is time to wake up and smell the coffee. If "SOME" pink polka dotted people are out to kill us then pink polka dotted people are going to be suspect. That is not racism, that is called self preservation. It's not even prejudice because there is "just cause" for concern.

It is racism. It's saying that if a person's skin is Black then they are more likely to be a bad person than if their skin is white. It's saying if you're Black then it's okay if you're stopped at an airport and searched for no other reason than the colour of your skin. It's saying people are right to be suspicious of Black people, because the people who hit the World Trade Centre were Black. Tell me, after Timothy McVeigh bombed a building in Oklahoma, were all white men suddenly viewed as suspects? When extremist Christian groups bomb family planning clinics, do we view Christians as possible terrorists?

As for the hospital again we do not have the facts. For all we know, these three have been in trouble before. I hate the thought that it is a knee jerk reaction, especially when they were not found of any wrongdoing. It is a trajedy if they did not do anything, and they lose their future because of it. It is equally trajic if they inflicted upon themselves with a stupid joke on someone who was staring at them.

Yep, making a stupid joke is definitely grounds for having your career threatened. But only if you're Black and therefore a possible terrorist in the eyes of some prejudiced fools.

They were all on Donahue last night (the med students and the woman) and all of them seemed sincere to me. The woman said she heard tidbits that when added up sounded suspicious and so she reported it. She did not seem racist and I feel she was honestly trying to be a good citizen--if anything I blame the media for its relentless barrage of 9/11 stories and imagery on the anniversary which may well have heightened paranoia last week. The police rely on tips from citizens in all kinds of scenarios--the vast majority of them being deadends--it's just unfortunate that this particular one made such a splash in the news and affected these men the way it did. The students seemed completely credible and sincere also. No one's sueing anybody. There seemed to be no lasting ill feelings on either side and in fact, while the woman maintains that she did the right thing, by the end of the show she seemed more embarrassed and slightly traumatized than anything else to have made a mistake that landed her in the news. I kind of felt bad for all of them--the students and the woman.

I saw that last night.

My opinion has changed a little in that I think that woman is more of an asshead than I originally thought, that plus I think her moronic attorney will be of no use to her...

FizzingWhizzbees said:
It is racism. It's saying that if a person's skin is Black then they are more likely to be a bad person than if their skin is white. [/B]

From the Webster Dictionary

Main Entry: rac?ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun
Date: 1936
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Please tell me how the definition of racism fits in this case? No one is saying they are dumb, stupid, ignorant, genetically inferior, or defective because of their race.

What is wrong with wanting protection?

FACT: 1993 Trade Center Attack conducted by Arab/Muslim EXTREMISTS
FACT: Embassy Bombings conducted by Arab/Muslim EXTREMISTS
FACT: USS COLE bombed by Arab/Muslim EXTREMISTS
FACT: 9/11 "MURDERERS" were Arab/Muslim EXTREMIST/
FACT: Mousaui is an ARAB/MUSLIM EXTREMIST
FACT: Richard Reis (Shoe Bomber) is an Arab/Muslim EXTREMIST
FACT: The six individuals arrested in Buffalo are Americans of Arab descent and are people who have trained in Afghanistan with known terrorists.

Is there a pattern here?

I think it would be foolish to NOT suspect someone with a similar background, travel pattern, ect.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Tell me, after Timothy McVeigh bombed a building in Oklahoma, were all white men suddenly viewed as suspects? When extremist Christian groups bomb family planning clinics, do we view Christians as possible terrorists?[/B]

Well, I will say I concider any EXTREMIST a danger. CHRISTIAN EXTREMISTS, MUSLIM EXTREMISTS, RIGHT WING EXTREMISTS are a threat. Certainly people who belonged to these organizations and groups are capable of some pretty horrendous things. Can you tell me that people in these groups have not been targets of searches, probes ect? If our government here in the US did not do that against these groups after events like you mentioned, I would be saddened about it.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Yep, making a stupid joke is definitely grounds for having your career threatened. But only if you're Black and therefore a possible terrorist in the eyes of some prejudiced fools. [/B]

I am sorry but "if" they did make a joke do you really think it is appropriate? I want to be treated by a doctor that takes 9/11 and makes a joke about the death and destruction? Please enlighten me as to what was so funny about 9/11 that it should be joked about. Again I say "IF" because I was not there.

I am glad you mentioned the word prejudiced. Here is the definition for you:

Main Entry: [1]prej?u?dice
Pronunciation: 'pre-j&-d&s
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin praejudicium previous judgment, damage, from prae- + judicium judgment ?more at JUDICIAL
Date: 13th century
1 : injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
2 a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

I know you will cling to definition one, but if we read a bit further into definition #2 (2) it says without JUST GROUNDS or before sufficient knowledge. IF they did make the JOKE she has both. The terrorist acts I listed above coupled with a very poor sense of humor is more than enough justification to do what she did.

If we contiunue to part (c) of the definition it says an irrational attitude of hostility. It is in no way shape or form IRRATIONAL to want to protect ourselves our country or our families given the acts of terrorism committed against our country.

Profiling in this instance is not Racist nor is it Prejudiced.

PEACE TO ALL

Last edited:
i think the point of the christian extremist point was to show that not all christians were under suspician whereas if something happens with extremist muslims then all muslims are under suspician.

deep said:
Dreadsox,

All of your facts are not facts.

This was widely reported.

I stand corrected. Was he another one that had links to Afghanistan? Thanks for fixing me up on that one!

Peace to All.

Back
Top Bottom