218 Reasons NOT to vote Liberal!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"138 Gun registry: Supposed to cost $2 million, now at nearly $2 billion (even AG can't fathom it), with gun crimes rising."

Crimes involving guns have also risen in the United Kingdom since their gun ban.

Calluna said:
He didn't attack you personally, he attacked the newspaper.

AliEnvy, thanks for posting that article.

Yes, he did attack me personally indicating the I was a tool (which is untrue of course.).

Hey, we made the second top story of the day on BBC World News right after the collapse of the Ford company. The WORLD is watching, if Harpur wins, sorry world.

yeah sorry world indeed.

you'd think with bush RIGHT THERE, we'd know better.

i mean, WOW.

If the conservatives win, I'm expecting a rise in the TSX tomorrow. A conservative government would be huge boost of foreign investments in Canada.

boosterjuice said:
If the conservatives win, I'm expecting a rise in the TSX tomorrow. A conservative government would be huge boost of foreign investments in Canada.

For the record, after Clinton was reelected in the U.S., the stock market surged. Yet, there was no surge for either of Bush's elections. So merely having a "conservative" leader doesn't necessarily inspire confidence.

But who knows. I wouldn't rule it out, since sometimes merely having a change in leadership after years of another party's rule makes for irrational investor exuberance.

Melon

melon said:

For the record, after Clinton was reelected in the U.S., the stock market surged. Yet, there was no surge for either of Bush's elections. So merely having a "conservative" leader doesn't necessarily inspire confidence.

But who knows. I wouldn't rule it out, since sometimes merely having a change in leadership after years of another party's rule makes for irrational investor exuberance.

Melon

Yes, I know about Clinton's effect on the market. However, with all the political corruption in the Liberal government being exposed lately, foreign investors have been cautious of Canadian holdings. So I wouldn't interpret investor confidence as being irrational. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Who knows, the market could even dip down.

Do you think Alberta's success as a province is because of a Conservative run government or oil?

boosterjuice said:
A conservative government would be huge boost of foreign investments in Canada.

Especially since the conservative campaign was funded by foreign investment.

Gee, I wonder what they expect in return....hmmmm....

trevster2k said:
Do you think Alberta's success as a province is because of a Conservative run government or oil?

It's quite a task to convince any up and coming business students in alberta that Klein and the Conservatives are serendipitously benefitting from current prosperities in oil. The correlation between a strong economy and a deregulating conservative government is a fickle relationship. Tax breaks and an economy focused on immediate dividend is usually the short-term result of a conservative mandate, but since long term investment and resource concerns do not fit the bill of necessary spending... subsequent governments face the task of compensating for narrow-sighted economic gimmicks (like tax relief and refund subsidies). Fiscal balance within a Harper-like regime is a red herring that will be exposed when Canada no longer has primary industry or resource control to create capital.

In the next few months I will be given 500 dollars simply for being Albertan. That must mean things are great, right? Or is the provincial government simply trying to buy votes to protect industry lobbyists that propagate the depletion of our major source of finance? Something tells me that Stampede tourism will not tide us over in the next century.

A_Wanderer said:
No I think that the campaign ads were the funniest ones I have heard. ever.

Well, if the Liberal ads are funny, the Conservative ads were hilarious. The fake interview format made me want to laugh. However, I do have to give the Conservatives credit for creating probably the most original TV political ad campaign I've ever seen. It's usually a barrage of attack ads from both sides with some kind of mysterious announcer in the background. A fake interview format, even if chuckle-worthy, was quite the departure from the norm.

Melon

I guess these "218 reasons" won - because the conservative party won the election in Canada.

Not being terribly familiar with Canadian politics, I hope and pray that the conservative party there is infinitely better than the one in the U.S., where we are enduring the worst regime in decades. I should stress that I am not anti-Republican or anti-conservative - I just call it as it is, and the current Bush presidency will go down in history as a horrific failure on so many levels that it is embarrassing. Hopefully, the Canadian conservatives can learn from these mistakes.

doctorwho said:
Not being terribly familiar with Canadian politics, I hope and pray that the conservative party there is infinitely better than the one in the U.S., where we are enduring the worst regime in decades. I should stress that I am not anti-Republican or anti-conservative - I just call it as it is, and the current Bush presidency will go down in history as a horrific failure on so many levels that it is embarrassing. Hopefully, the Canadian conservatives can learn from these mistakes.

If this were really true, wouldn't the liberal party be able to leverage the anti-Bush sentiments into a victory?

Back
Top Bottom