218 Reasons NOT to vote Liberal!!!!!! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2006, 11:38 AM   #46
Babyface

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Quote:
How is it ironic?

Because the article is clearly conservative propaganda and the conservatives' policies are the least tolerant of any of the parties (see gay marriage, anti-abortion, the war in Iraq, for example).

BTW, your article gives me about 50 reasons to vote Liberal (there's more where those came from), and 168 reasons NOT to vote conservative.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:39 AM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

And an awful lot of people who eventually use hard drugs also smoke regular cigarettes and drink alcohol too. Do you propose making them illegal? And beer is certainly a "gateway" drug to harder liquor. That at the very least should be made illegal, as there are a lot of alcoholics around.

No, I don't think cigs and alcohol should be illegal. The US already tried prohibition without any success.

Legalizing Pot: I just don't see how doing this is actually going to help society. I see far more potential negatives that positives. Sure, it can be used for medicinal purposes. But to me, the risks far outweigh the rewards.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Any party which even so much as vaguely hints at taking away my right to choose will NEVER get my vote. Ever. Period. Case closed. And you can bet there are loads of women who will hold their noses and vote for the Liberals on this issue alone.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by 2numb2feel

Because the article is clearly conservative propaganda and the conservatives' policies are the least tolerant of any of the parties (see gay marriage, anti-abortion, the war in Iraq, for example).

BTW, your article gives me about 50 reasons to vote Liberal (there's more where those came from), and 168 reasons NOT to vote conservative.
My question was addressed to Bonovoxsuperstar but I'll respond to your comments.

The article, IMO, is not conservative propaganda. The author isn't working for the conservative party, she is just listing reasons that are important to her. There have been many election articles written over this campaign that support a party's perticular view. Other newspapers have openly thrown their support for the Conservatives this election, ie, the Globe & Mail. Is that propaganda?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #50
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Any party which even so much as vaguely hints at taking away my right to choose will NEVER get my vote. Ever. Period. Case closed. And you can bet there are loads of women who will hold their noses and vote for the Liberals on this issue alone.
Did the conservatives vaguely hint at this or was it the Liberals who planted this fear about the conservatives?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by boosterjuice

How is it ironic?
You're asking others not to belittle, but that's all the article did. Can you not see that?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:25 PM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 03:53 PM
Quote:
And if a country/terrorist org attacks our country, we should have the means/balls to defend our nation.
Then use your vote/balls to keep Harper from selling Canada to his Texan oil-obsessed friends.

Dropping an inflammatory article like that in here then trying to play Mr. Rational is bad form, dude, bad form.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

booster7uice, stop acting like such a tool.

you got that article from the fucking sun.

you should be ashamed of yourself, that's the worst tabloid this side of the atlantic and makes even the brits blush.

what a terrible day.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

oh, and thanks booster7uice for doing you're part in electing the conservatives today.

everyone in the country who didn't vote for them is most grateful.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:07 PM   #55
Babyface

Quote:

My question was addressed to Bonovoxsuperstar but I'll respond to your comments.

The article, IMO, is not conservative propaganda. The author isn't working for the conservative party, she is just listing reasons that are important to her. There have been many election articles written over this campaign that support a party's perticular view. Other newspapers have openly thrown their support for the Conservatives this election, ie, the Globe & Mail. Is that propaganda?

Technically, propaganda is the dissemination of information specifically for the purpose of influencing public opinion so whether the author is working for the party or not is irrelevant. That also answers your question regarding the Globe and Mail. In this case the article is misleading because every point lacks context, evidence or the arguments to support the contention that they are 'reasons' at all, let alone 'reasons not to vote liberal'.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #56
Refugee

Local Time: 03:53 PM
While we're at it, might as well get the other side...

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/me...dex.php?id=192

Friday, January 20th, 2006
Michael Moore Statement on Canadian Election

Oh, Canada -- you're not really going to elect a Conservative majority on Monday, are you? That's a joke, right? I know you have a great sense of humor, and certainly a well-developed sense of irony, but this is no longer funny. Maybe it's a new form of Canadian irony -- reverse irony! OK, now I get it. First, you have the courage to stand against the war in Iraq -- and then you elect a prime minister who's for it. You declare gay people have equal rights -- and then you elect a man who says they don't. You give your native peoples their own autonomy and their own territory -- and then you vote for a man who wants to cut aid to these poorest of your citizens. Wow, that is intense! Only Canadians could pull off a hat trick of humor like that. My hat's off to you.

Far be it from me, as an American, to suggest what you should do. You already have too many Americans telling you what to do. Well, actually, you've got just one American who keeps telling you to roll over and fetch and sit. I hope you don't feel this appeal of mine is too intrusive but I just couldn't sit by, as your friend, and say nothing. Yes, I agree, the Liberals have some 'splainin' to do. And yes, one party in power for more than a decade gets a little... long. But you have a parliamentary system (I'll bet you didn't know that -- see, that's why you need Americans telling you things!). There are ways at the polls to have your voices heard other than throwing the baby out with the bath water.

These are no ordinary times, and as you go to the polls on Monday, you do so while a man running the nation to the south of you is hoping you can lend him a hand by picking Stephen Harper because he's a man who shares his world view. Do you want to help George Bush by turning Canada into his latest conquest? Is that how you want millions of us down here to see you from now on? The next notch in the cowboy belt? C'mon, where's your Canadian pride? I mean, if you're going to reduce Canada to a cheap download of Bush & Co., then at least don't surrender so easily. Can't you wait until he threatens to bomb Regina? Make him work for it, for Pete's sake.

But seriously, I know you're not going to elect a guy who should really be running for governor of Utah. Whew! I knew it! You almost had me there. Very funny. Don't do that again. God, I love you, you crazy cold wonderful neighbors to my north. Don't ever change.

Michael Moore
Old 01-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #57
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
booster7uice, stop acting like such a tool.

you got that article from the fucking sun.

you should be ashamed of yourself, that's the worst tabloid this side of the atlantic and makes even the brits blush.

what a terrible day.
Please don't attack me personally.

Just because I have a different viewpoint does not give you allowances to personally attack someone.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie

He didn't attack you personally, he attacked the newspaper.

AliEnvy, thanks for posting that article.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #59
The Fly

Vote liberal - Cancel out a conservative vote! I usually vote NDP but there's no way this time.

I'm an engaged lesbian in Calgary, Alberta waiting until tonight when Harper is announced prime minister to have my rights taken away.

Thumbs down, Canada.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor

Just voted. Now all I can do is wait.