$216,900 speeding ticket - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2004, 04:43 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:27 PM
I think we can disagree with a principle of penalizing people based on their income without turning this into class warfare.

The law has a mechanism for punishing based on income - punitive damages.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:03 AM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Not sure who you are referring to that has turned this into "class warefare". Discussing class and its injustices is necessary if we're really going to speak for the poor and feel and clothe them, as Christ insists His followers do.

Also, I agree with the posts above which give concrete examples of the wealthy getting the more lenient side of the justice system. Want a couple more? OJ. Ken Lay. The SNL Guys (remember that early corporate scandle?). Thus to answer your question to me, I'd have to say I'm not sure precisely, but it would have to involve six figures.

Cheers,
SD

PS Melon, really enjoyed your post

Old 02-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

nice post melon

I think the point of this speeding law is to discourage the wealthy from speeding. If they enjoy speeding, they won't care if they get a 50 or 100 dollar ticket because it won't have any economic impact on them. Sure there are some wealthy that are penny pinchers and aren't willing to risk the small fine, but I think that the majority don't care. Most people don't become wealthy though "not throwing money away". MOST people become wealthy through inheritance or luck. Most won't scrimp when it comes do doing what they want to do and buying what they want to buy, if this were the case they wouldn't have 10 cars or vacation in the hamptons. They are willing to scrimp on things that don't effect them (ie workers salaries and benefits).

It'll be interesting to see whether or not this policy is effective.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:02 PM   #19
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 07:27 AM
I prefer the german system here, depending on how fast you are you get either a "money only" fine, then if you drive faster your driverslicence isn't valid for a month or a 1/4 year. If you are even faster, they take your driverslicence and you have to pass a psychological test to be able to get your driverslicence again.

Another interesting idea would be to start with low fines and double them every time you do the same thing (speeding)

Klaus
Old 02-13-2004, 05:41 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
But wealthy people don't get wealthy by throwing their money away. It is a misnomer to think a fine "doesn't mean much" just because a person is wealthy.
Agreed.

I work with a Millionaire who is the tightest bastard you will ever meet. We had an International Condom Day celebration at work this week and everyone was asked to bring in some condiments/something to put in a sandwich. Most of us managed to bring some bread or salad or condiments or something. Not the millionaire. Didnt bring anything at all AND he has a vegie patch in his backyard so its not like it would cost him anything. </rant about bastard colleague who stuffed something up at work yesterday, dumped it on me to solve, and went home at 1:30pm and Im still absolutely seething, dreaming of shoving a lead canister up said millionaires butt.>

I think percentage of income fines sounds like an excellent idea. But then I believe in percentage of income taxes as well - let the poor pay less and the rich pay more (and actually PAY their taxes not get around it legally). Gawd Im ranting this morning. I think I will shut up now .
Old 02-13-2004, 06:50 PM   #21
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

We had an International Condom Day celebration at work this week and everyone was asked to bring in some condiments/something to put in a sandwich.
International Condom Day? I missed it again.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:56 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by fah
International Condom Day? I missed it again.
No you didnt, its today. Its on St Valentines day so theres still plenty of time to do want you want to do. We were celebrating it early as International Condom Day falls on a weekend this year.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:01 PM   #23
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks, it's still Friday the 13th for me, so I've got lots of time to prepare