2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIV: May This Entertainment Never End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
namkcuR's sentiments are mine as well, save for the fact that in 2008 I liked both Kucinich and Obama the most. Kucinich was probably THE absolute closest to my political beliefs, that I can recall, but obviously, he didn't last long in the race :p.

But I remembered reading about Obama way back in 2004, when he was a senator, and really liking him a lot then. His stance on same-sex marriage at the time was my main sticking point (though as we've discussed before, I still tend to believe he probably personally didn't care one way or another, but politics being what they were at the time...). Thankfully, though, he's done a lot of good on that issue since then, and even gone beyond that to be supportive of the transgender community.

Hilary would've been my third choice, though, yeah. Like stated, she's far from the ideal liberal/Democratic candidate that many on the left would love, yes. There's things she's supported that I don't support. I've mentioned before her stance on the Iraq War back in 2008 was a concern of mine.

But like U2DM said, she knows her stuff politically. And she's clearly been prepared for this role for a long, LONG time, so it's not like she's going in green and blind.

Also, she's not going to be able to get Democratic policies enacted alone. Those of us on the left need to do our part to make it abundantly clear what we want her to do should she become president. I think once she knows she's got that support, that'll help a lot. Not to say it still won't be an uphill battle, of course, 'cause she'll have the Republicans to deal with, but at least she'll know that she's got plenty of backing to make it clear x or y policy is what people want and need.

ObamasNumbers-2016-Q31.png

#makeamericagreatagain

I don't think I have words anymore to describe this campaign. Good lord.

Donald Trump Apologizes to Serbia for Yugoslavia Bombing

Milosevic was a nationalist fucker but you can't tell me the bombing of Serbia wasn't fucking horrible.

Although I 100% doubt Trump had the right motive in doing this, out of all the things he said this would have to be right down the bottom as far as shit Trump says goes.

Operation Deny 270

r/AnybodyButHillary
Here's why you don't pick Hillary
u/The1stCitizenOfTheIn134d, 3h
Why not Hillary?

She was a member of the Walmart Board of Directors

She supported the PATRIOT Act
She regurgitated Bush and Cheney's talking points and supported the Iraq war without even reading the intelligence report
She wants a no-fly zone over Syria (WHICH REQUIRES GROUND TROOPS BTW)
She wants to take on ISIS and Assad at the same time, JUST LIKE JEB DID
She's friends with Henry Kissinger
In 2008 she gave Obama a hard time for being anti-gun, and then in 2016 she rags on Sanders for being moderate on guns (even though his reasons are the same as hers were in 2008)

After the 1st debate she insinuated that Sanders was sexist and racist for his views on guns
She justified taking money from Wall St. with 9/11

She lied about Sanders healthcare plan (claiming that it eliminates medicare)

She said that single-payer will never come to pass

She's against tuition free public colleges/trade schools and universities
She went back on her word regarding the debate in May before the CA primary

Her campaign is managed by lobbyists

She's only against what she's learned about the TPP and will not lobby against it
She didn't want to recognize the Armenian Genocide as Secretary of State, b/c it was historically debatable (even though in her 2008 run she promised that she'd recognize it)
Immediately after assuming office as secretary of state, Clinton zealously shepherded the dangerous Armenia-Turkey protocols that posed a threat to Armenia’s national security. Her approach to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and her failure to properly condemn Azerbaijan’s military advances and rhetoric, further complicated the fragile peace process and resulted in loss of military and civilian lives in Artsakh. | In assessing the protocols process, as well as her worldview in the region, it is clear that Clinton’s motivations were to advance Azerbaijan’s oil interests over concerns for justice and human rights. | Clinton explicitly said in “Hard Choices” that the aim of the protocols and other initiatives in the Caucasus was not necessarily to achieve peace but to advance US interests. | In Clinton’s own words, “The conflict in the Caucasus posed problems for our plans for piping Central Asian natural gas to European markets to lessen their dependence on Russian energy.”
She claimed that the reason young people don't support her is because they don't do their research

Her daughter Chelsea Clinton lied about Sanders healthcare plan.

She lied about Sanders not fighting for healthcare in 1993 and 1994, despite there being footage showing the contrary

Barbara Boxer (the one who lied about fearing for her safety in the NV state caucus, even though video shows otherwise) is a member of her family and also a superdelegate-wtf!
Hillary only supports a $12 minimum wage
Hillary has not stated any support for a carbon tax

She lied about being under sniper fire in Bosnia

She joyfully glee'd at the death of the Libyan dictator, saying "We came, we saw, he died!"

She opposes Glass-Steagall
She is weak on fighting climate change
She's never met a war she didn't like
She'll say anything and change nothing

She only supported gay marriage in 2013

She doesn't want to end the war on drugs
Her daughter is on the Board of Directors for the company that owns The Daily Beast and College Humor

She has super-PACs
Hillary coordinates directly with her Super-PAC (Correct the Record, thanks to some loophole)

If she's elected -the Republicans will spend every waking day trying to indict her.
Hillary told people in Ohio that she was a moderate and then when she went to NH weeks late she called herself a progressive.
She wants Bill Clinton in charge of the economy

Before the South Carolina primary she behaved rudely towards a BLM protester

She pandered to Hispanics by claiming that she's like their abuela on her website

She consistently points out that her gender is why people should vote for her
She praised the TPP 45 times

She doesn't want to ban fracking, oil drilling, or oil pipelines
She won't end NSA spying
Her enemies are republicans and Iranians

She supports the death penalty

She wants to take the relationship between Israel and the U.S to the next level

The head of the DNC was the campaign co-chair for her 2008 run

When a green peace volunteer asked if Hillary would refuse to accept money from the fossil fuel industry she flipped out on her, claiming that she's tired of Sanders lying about her (wtf?)

Of the money she raises for down ticket candidates only 1% of the $61 million goes to them

Bill Clinton said Sanders' supporters want to shoot ppl on Wall St.(even though his wife said gun violence ain't a joke)
She supported the Panama Free Trade Agreement as Secretary of State
She has the support of Neocons that advocated for the Iraq war
She got 400 something super-delegates before any state voted-wtf!
Her foreign policy has more to do with advancing American (i.e corporate) interests and less to do with promoting peace
She gave Sanders shit for voting for an omnibus bill that had the Commodities Modernization Futures Act in it, which her husband signed into law, and was partially written by her campaign's top economic adviser

She wants a Manhattan Project on Encryption
Former-NRA lobbyists raised money for her campaign

She supported the 1994 Crime Bill
She only wants to invest $275 billion for infrastructure (which falls way too short of what this country needs, which is $1-trillion)
She has been looking into releasing the transcripts for her paid speeches for 229 days

She's under FBI investigation ffs!

She lied about the email server being permitted by the State Department and the fact that she followed the rules
She thinks weed should be reclassified under the same level as heroin
Clinton had supported a controversial bill in the U.S. House of Representatives to establish a control board stacked with Republican congressional appointees which could impose harsh austerity measures to deal with Puerto Rico’s $70 billion debt. After Sanders came out against the bill, Clinton now has voiced vague reservations about the measure.
Her VP fast-tracked TPP and called to deregulate banks
Imagine who she'll put in her cabinet!

An unprecedented warmonger.

Clinton says US could 'ring China with missile defense'

By NOMAAN MERCHANT
Today
BEIJING (AP) — Hillary Clinton privately said the U.S. would "ring China with missile defense" if the Chinese government failed to curb North Korea's nuclear program, a potential hint at how the former secretary of state would act if elected president.

Clinton's remarks were revealed by WikiLeaks in a hack of the Clinton campaign chairman's personal account. The emails include a document excerpting Clinton's private speech transcripts, which she has refused to release.

A section on China features several issues in which Clinton said she confronted the Chinese while leading the U.S. State Department.

China has harshly criticized the U.S. and South Korea's planned deployment of a missile-defense system against North Korea, which conducted its fifth nuclear test this year. But Clinton said she told Chinese officials that the U.S. might deploy additional ships to the region to contain the North Korean missile threat.

If North Korea successfully obtains a ballistic missile, it could threaten not just American allies in the Pacific, "but they could actually reach Hawaii and the west coast theoretically," Clinton said.

"We're going to ring China with missile defense. We're going to put more of our fleet in the area," Clinton said in a 2013 speech. "So China, come on. You either control them or we're going to have to defend against them."

China is North Korea's economic lifeline and the closest thing it has to a diplomatic ally, and has been criticized by the U.S. and others for not doing enough to rein in Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions. Chinese officials and state media have responded by saying that North Korea is not solely China's responsibility, and that Beijing has limited influence with secretive leader Kim Jong Un's hard-line communist regime.

Clinton also privately criticized China's position on another sensitive issue, the South China Sea. China claims almost the entirety of the strategically vital waterbody and has lashed out at an international tribunal's July ruling rejecting its claims.

Clinton told a different audience in 2013 that by China's logic, the U.S. after World War II could have labeled the Pacific Ocean the "American Sea."

"My counterpart sat up very straight and goes, 'Well, you can't do that,'" she said. "And I said, 'Well, we have as much right to claim that as you do. I mean, you claim (the South China Sea) based on pottery shards from, you know, some fishing vessel that ran aground in an atoll somewhere."

In another remark revealed in the Wikileaks hack, Clinton called Chinese President Xi Jinping "a more sophisticated, more effective public leader" than his predecessor, Hu Jintao. She noted Xi's plans for economic and social reforms, but blamed what she called "a resurgence of nationalism" on the Chinese government.

China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not immediately respond Friday to faxed questions about Clinton's remarks.

As secretary of state, Clinton visited China seven times and engineered Washington's "pivot" to Asia, which has long been viewed with suspicion by Beijing. The policy shift has seen a tighter focus on the region along with an increased military presence and fortified alliances with allies such as Australia and the Philippines, although the latter has been cast in doubt with the election of China-friendly President Rodrigo Duterte.

She also drew condemnation from Chinese state media last year after describing Xi as "shameless" as he prepared to speak on women's rights at the United Nations, shortly after China detained five young feminists who'd campaigned against domestic violence.

___

Associated Press writer Christopher Bodeen contributed to this report.

I agree with so much of that, but I hope you're prepared for what's coming next ...

r/AnybodyButHillary

Here's why you don't pick Hillary

u/The1stCitizenOfTheIn134d, 3h

Why not Hillary?

She was a member of the Walmart Board of Directors

She supported the PATRIOT Act

She regurgitated Bush and Cheney's talking points and supported the Iraq war without even reading the intelligence report

She wants a no-fly zone over Syria (WHICH REQUIRES GROUND TROOPS BTW)

She wants to take on ISIS and Assad at the same time, JUST LIKE JEB DID

She's friends with Henry Kissinger

In 2008 she gave Obama a hard time for being anti-gun, and then in 2016 she rags on Sanders for being moderate on guns (even though his reasons are the same as hers were in 2008)

After the 1st debate she insinuated that Sanders was sexist and racist for his views on guns

She justified taking money from Wall St. with 9/11

She lied about Sanders healthcare plan (claiming that it eliminates medicare)

She said that single-payer will never come to pass

She's against tuition free public colleges/trade schools and universities

She went back on her word regarding the debate in May before the CA primary

Her campaign is managed by lobbyists

She's only against what she's learned about the TPP and will not lobby against it

She didn't want to recognize the Armenian Genocide as Secretary of State, b/c it was historically debatable (even though in her 2008 run she promised that she'd recognize it)

Immediately after assuming office as secretary of state, Clinton zealously shepherded the dangerous Armenia-Turkey protocols that posed a threat to Armenia’s national security. Her approach to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and her failure to properly condemn Azerbaijan’s military advances and rhetoric, further complicated the fragile peace process and resulted in loss of military and civilian lives in Artsakh. | In assessing the protocols process, as well as her worldview in the region, it is clear that Clinton’s motivations were to advance Azerbaijan’s oil interests over concerns for justice and human rights. | Clinton explicitly said in “Hard Choices” that the aim of the protocols and other initiatives in the Caucasus was not necessarily to achieve peace but to advance US interests. | In Clinton’s own words, “The conflict in the Caucasus posed problems for our plans for piping Central Asian natural gas to European markets to lessen their dependence on Russian energy.”

She claimed that the reason young people don't support her is because they don't do their research

Her daughter Chelsea Clinton lied about Sanders healthcare plan.

She lied about Sanders not fighting for healthcare in 1993 and 1994, despite there being footage showing the contrary

Barbara Boxer (the one who lied about fearing for her safety in the NV state caucus, even though video shows otherwise) is a member of her family and also a superdelegate-wtf!

Hillary only supports a $12 minimum wage

Hillary has not stated any support for a carbon tax

She lied about being under sniper fire in Bosnia

She joyfully glee'd at the death of the Libyan dictator, saying "We came, we saw, he died!"

She opposes Glass-Steagall

She is weak on fighting climate change

She's never met a war she didn't like

She'll say anything and change nothing

She only supported gay marriage in 2013

She doesn't want to end the war on drugs

Her daughter is on the Board of Directors for the company that owns The Daily Beast and College Humor

She has super-PACs

Hillary coordinates directly with her Super-PAC (Correct the Record, thanks to some loophole)

If she's elected -the Republicans will spend every waking day trying to indict her.

Hillary told people in Ohio that she was a moderate and then when she went to NH weeks late she called herself a progressive.

She wants Bill Clinton in charge of the economy

Before the South Carolina primary she behaved rudely towards a BLM protester

She pandered to Hispanics by claiming that she's like their abuela on her website

She consistently points out that her gender is why people should vote for her

She praised the TPP 45 times

She doesn't want to ban fracking, oil drilling, or oil pipelines

She won't end NSA spying

Her enemies are republicans and Iranians

She supports the death penalty

She wants to take the relationship between Israel and the U.S to the next level

The head of the DNC was the campaign co-chair for her 2008 run

When a green peace volunteer asked if Hillary would refuse to accept money from the fossil fuel industry she flipped out on her, claiming that she's tired of Sanders lying about her (wtf?)

Of the money she raises for down ticket candidates only 1% of the $61 million goes to them

Bill Clinton said Sanders' supporters want to shoot ppl on Wall St.(even though his wife said gun violence ain't a joke)

She supported the Panama Free Trade Agreement as Secretary of State

She has the support of Neocons that advocated for the Iraq war

She got 400 something super-delegates before any state voted-wtf!

Her foreign policy has more to do with advancing American (i.e corporate) interests and less to do with promoting peace

She gave Sanders shit for voting for an omnibus bill that had the Commodities Modernization Futures Act in it, which her husband signed into law, and was partially written by her campaign's top economic adviser

She wants a Manhattan Project on Encryption

Former-NRA lobbyists raised money for her campaign

She supported the 1994 Crime Bill

She only wants to invest $275 billion for infrastructure (which falls way too short of what this country needs, which is $1-trillion)

She has been looking into releasing the transcripts for her paid speeches for 229 days

She's under FBI investigation ffs!

She lied about the email server being permitted by the State Department and the fact that she followed the rules

She thinks weed should be reclassified under the same level as heroin

Clinton had supported a controversial bill in the U.S. House of Representatives to establish a control board stacked with Republican congressional appointees which could impose harsh austerity measures to deal with Puerto Rico’s $70 billion debt. After Sanders came out against the bill, Clinton now has voiced vague reservations about the measure.

Her VP fast-tracked TPP and called to deregulate banks

Imagine who she'll put in her cabinet!

Some of these would have made good discussion during the primaries.

Some of these are just emotional responses.

Some are silly.

And some you have wrong.

But I didn't see one that was worth giving the orange one the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

And all of them – I didn’t coerce them or anything – they all said, “We care about the taxes. We care about our business taxes going up under President Obama. We need more stability. So it’s about the bottom line. Great jobs.
Aren't the Fords Canadian?

r/AnyoneButTrump
Here's why you don't pick Trump

He's Donald Trump.

I'd love for there to be a better option. There isn't.

Here's the thing: if the Republicans had chosen a viable candidate, one that had actual ideas that appealed to independents and those in the centre (like me) and stayed away from divisive social issues that force people to vote the other way, then I think this election would have been theirs for the taking against such an unpopular figure like Hillary Clinton.

But noooooooooo, they had to choose Donald Trump.

Here's the thing: if the Republicans had chosen a viable candidate, one that had actual ideas that appealed to independents and those in the centre (like me) and stayed away from divisive social issues that force people to vote the other way, then I think this election would have been theirs for the taking against such an unpopular figure like Hillary Clinton.

But noooooooooo, they had to choose Donald Trump.
I have zero doubt that this is the case.

And you have to wonder if Joe Biden doesn't lose his kid that he challenges Clinton in the primaries.

While I don't take the narrative that the DNC wanted Clinton all along, I just think that most D's didn't really want to bother taking her on.

Bernie isn't a Dem, so he had no problem going all in. And I'd say it was very beneficial to him. He's got a new beach house, a book deal, and replaced Jesus as everyone's favorite socialist. :)

And you have to wonder if Joe Biden doesn't lose his kid that he challenges Clinton in the primaries.

While I don't take the narrative that the DNC wanted Clinton all along, I just think that most D's didn't really want to bother taking her on.

Bernie isn't a Dem, so he had no problem going all in. And I'd say it was very beneficial to him. He's got a new beach house, a book deal, and replaced Jesus as everyone's favorite socialist. :)

Yeah, timing was not on Biden's side. I think he'd be the nominee right now if it weren't for that tragedy.

And :lol: about Sanders

Glenn Beck is stumping for Hillary.

Yeah, this has to be one of the oddest things I've seen. I can't imagine his audience liking this. I mean I can sorta respect his reasoning, but I wonder why he just said no to Trump and leave it at that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom