2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comb your hair, Irvine. And you have a little schmutz on your face ... here, let me get that.

*licks thumb, goes in with the mom move*

:wave::wave::wave:

I started the Smilegate. I was giving just 2 pieces of advice to each candidate heading into the debate. The last I saw of Hillary before the debate was her "How am I not 50 points ahead" moment where she seemed to not be in her best public speaking form. She needed to change from that, and I suggested "smile". She did a decent job of that last night. Here is the video link, that sparked my initial critique and recommendation.

Comb your hair, Irvine. And you have a little schmutz on your face ... here, let me get that.

*licks thumb, goes in with the mom move*

When I started the job I'm at now, I was the youngest person in the department by 25 years. A few people used to rub my hair and call me "kiddo." Wasn't too much a fan of that.

I guess we're all just thinking of different contexts because when I'm feeling down and someone gives me a comforting talk or what have you and says, "smile", it makes me feel better :shrug:

yeah, that's totally different, especially when coming from someone you know. Of course context is very important.

That's all. I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I just don't adore blanket statements myself.

Look at what this thread has become. See what happens when you tell Hillary Clinton to smile? :tsk:

Oh well. I'm sure Trump will do something appalling in the next few hours and we'll move on.

I'm just sick and tired of all the sexism,
all of the remarks about Hillary's appearance
when has anybody ever said anything about trump's appearance?

I'm just sick and tired of all the sexism,
all of the remarks about Hillary's appearance
when has anybody ever said anything about trump's appearance?

n4mpp.jpg

I was impressed with Hillary's toughness, with her refusal to be rattled by anything coming out of Trump's mouth. She appeared very stately to me, aggressive at times but always composed.

Yep. That's where the other GOP candidates failed. They either showed how rattled they were by him or stopped to his level.

Talk to me about how much easier I have it that I just get to wear a suit when it's 95 degrees out and the 6 train is delayed

The flip side of this is that all the law offices I've worked in were in large corporate buildings that kept the a/c on at like 65 in the summer because the men were sweating in wool suits. Most of us gals had blankets, scarves or even space heaters under our desks, no joke.

Re Trump's appearance. It's funny - I know that in general, picking on someone's looks is bad form, and I am aware that I do it to men (I will not feel bad about picking on Trump; I will feel a little bad about making Bono jokes).

But I do also know that historically and socially, women have been far more judged and treated based on their appearance, and sometimes I feel "hey, it's about time for men to feel what's it like."

(in other words, fuck the patriarchy etc.)

Anyhoo.

I found it interesting (in a good way) that the Arizona paper that endorsed Hillary today specifically called out Trump's treatment of women as one of the reasons for their endorsement. Good for them.

Last edited:
"Smile"
Gravity, it's not pulling me
I won't be a picture with no sound
Decaying, I'm praying
You are my air
But I need the ground to kneel upon
And love can't be us all
I don't want to see you smile

I'm breaking it, taking it
I'm breaking slowly in my mind
I'm seeing it, free in it
I know love is in this soul of mine
It's not in your eyes
I don't want

It started light-hearted
I won't be easier like you said
I'm going, flowing
I'm leaving on the day
Of the day I will live again
You will live again

God knows, He knows me
Knows me, lonely
You see, hear me, love
Say it again
You're not blind
The smoke machine
Is yours, not mine

I will live again
You will live again
I just don't want to see you smile

Apparently Trump broke the Cuban embargo some years back right around the same time he was making speeches where he explicitly said he wouldn't do business with Cuba. Because of course he did.

There are people on this forum who support Trump.

I'm more amused at the outrage over someone (be it Trump or whoever) breaking/attempting to break the Cuban embargo, which has always been unjust and still very much is.

I saw that cover of Newsweek, it's embarrassing.

Last edited:
Of course context is everything. Just like one man saying "Hey sexy, looking good" to a random woman on the street comes across one way, and another man saying "What a lovely spring dress" (which actually happened to me this year) comes across another.

Announcer: General Electric Films presents.. "Sexual Harassment and You", a handy guide to workplace etiquette.

[ dissolve to old-time video footage of three men standing around an office ]

Announcer: Back in the old days, a workplace was a man's domain.

[ the man in the middle dissolves into a woman ]

Announcer: Today, life is not as simple.

[ show various women working around the office ]

Announcer: Businesses are filled with working women, with corresponding breasts and vaginas.

(Frank is played by 'average' looking Fred Armisen)

[ show Frank looking about the room with an uneasy look on his face ]

Announcer: As a man, you want to have sex with all of them. [ Frank's gaze even falls upon an older-looking woman ] But approaching a woman at work should be done with extreme caution.. [ various women cross in front of Frank's desk from both sides ] ..to avoid a sexual harassment lawsuit.

[ Music sting, as a piece of paper marked "Lawsuit" is held before the camera ]

[ cut to Lisa's desk, as Frank cautiously approaches from the rear ]

Announcer: Here's the wrong way to approach a female co-worker.

Frank: [ showing his nervous enthusiasm ] Hey, Lisa! You look pretty hot today. Maybe we should have lunch sometime.

[ Lisa is silent, perhaps caught off guard, but, after a beat, picks up her phone and dials an authority figure ]

Announcer: Uh-oh! That didn't go over well.

[ Frank is petrified at Lisa's response, as he envisions the piece of paper marked "Lawsuit" being held before him ]

Announcer: Hello, Lawsuit.

(Greg is played by the dashing Tom Brady)

[ cut to the same scene as before, only now with the confident and assured Greg approaching Lisa ]

Announcer: Now, here's the right way:

Greg: Hey, Lisa. You look pretty hot today. Maybe we should have lunch sometime.

Lisa: [ caught off guard, but pleased ] Oh. Well, great.

Greg: How about tomorrow?

Lisa: Okay!

Greg: Great! See you then! [ squeezes Lisa's left breast before he exits ]

Announcer: Well done! Okay, let's review.

[ show close-up of nervous Frank making his pitch ]

Announcer: Frank was awkward, and a little too pushy.

[ dissolve to close-up of confident Frank making his pitch ]

Announcer: Greg was handsome.

[ cut to Frank staring at Tina from a distance ]

Announcer: Let's see if Frank can do better with another co-worker.

[ Greg approaches more cautiously than before, keeping a distance of about five feet behind Tina ]

Greg: Hi.

[ Tina turns to look, rebuffing at the sight of Greg, then picks up the phone to dial security ]

Announcer: The eye contact alone makes her uncomfortable, and authorities are contacted.

[ a security guard arrives at the scene and hauls Greg away ]

Announcer: Here's what he should have done:

[ scene wipes back to its start, with Greg approaching Tina while not wearing pants. Sensitive to Greg's presence, she turns around and smiles. ]

Tina: Hey, Greg! Want to have lunch sometime?

Greg: Sure! How about tomorrow?

Tina: Okay. Here's my home number. [ hands her number to Greg ]

Greg: Great! [ he deposits Tina's number in the bulge of his underwear, then exits ]

Announcer: See? It can be done. You can have sex with women at work without losing your job, by following a few simple rules:

[ the rules are displayed on-screen with accompanying check marks ]

Be Handsome..

Be Attractive..

and Don't Be Unattractive.

(video available - search SNL "Sexual Harassment and You")

There are things I don't like about Hillary - her whole fuck-the-rich thing comes off as :eyeroll: to me - but she was very impressive up against Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom