2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Few things piss me off more than how women get 3 quarters of the mall. I like to shop, too, ya know.

back when i was young enough to wear H&M, it used to piss me off that men's clothes were only like 10% of the store (even if it was sometimes hard to tell them apart). and then you add in the euro sizing and it was very difficult to find something cool.

Last edited:
especially since men have it much easier when it comes to dressing nicely :shrug:

Well, I don't know about that. Women have a wider range of styles they can wear in business or formal situations, whereas men are by-and-large restricted to a handful of staples that they may or may not be able to pull off. A guy in a suit is not automatically dressed nicely - the vast majority of guys I see have no idea how a suit should fit, how they should combine colors and patterns, etc.

Well, I don't know about that. Women have a wider range of styles they can wear in business or formal situations, whereas men are by-and-large restricted to a handful of staples that they may or may not be able to pull off. A guy in a suit is not automatically dressed nicely - the vast majority of guys I see have no idea how a suit should fit, how they should combine colors and patterns, etc.

You look at an awards show and point out to me the poorly dressed guy, please.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/12191766

The Bernies will deny it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It wasn't surprising to me that the Berners in my various social media feeds were hilariously critical of Hillary last night, calling it a draw, pointing out what she should have done, reminding us to admit that Trump made many very good points.

Kind of like a conservative website would.

Don't tell women to smile. If you don't understand why, then follow the general rule of not telling anybody else to smile. Easy peasy.

shot_between_the_eyes_smiley_classic_round_sticker-r7d101924f02e4a7f820e06a885499057_v9waf_8byvr_324.jpg

That bums me out to see a comment like that, to be honest.

I'm not trying to tell you how to feel. I'm not claiming to speak for all women and not trying to demand that all women must be offended or pissed off or annoyed by the same things.

But sometimes I see other people say shit that seems sexist to me, and my response is pretty much FUCK THE PATRIARCHY.

You do you.

Last edited:
Women tell me to smile more, should I be offended? Please let me know.

Honestly.

Do/feel whatever you want. Just don't tell other people, especially perfect strangers, to smile. I really don't understand why this is a difficult concept.

Would you approach somebody you don't know and say "you should wear more/less make up" or "you should shave your beard" or "you shouldn't wear heels", etc?

I honestly couldn't give less of a shit over whether or not Hilary smiles enough, or is "likeable" enough. All I care about is whether or not she's capable of doing this job and knows her stuff politically.

I mean, geez, if I ran for president I'd probably get a lot of flak because I tend to speak softly and I'm a very quiet, kinda shy person in general. Everyone handles social situations differently, and while I can understand the argument that for a job like the presidency, you do need to have something of a handle on the gladhanding and whatnot, at the same time, if she did do all of that, she'd probably get accused of being a typical slick politician, too. If I recall rightly, that was a big issue people had with Romney, that he just acted too much like a slick politician and wasn't personable enough. But at the same time, depending on the situation, I'm sure there's moments when him acting more "politician-y" was the right way to go. Politics is different in many ways from other social situations, it's a weird world in so many ways, and I don't think it's always easy for ANY politician, male or female, to really just be "themselves" as a result.

It all kinda reminds me of how Bush Jr. got votes in 2000 because "he's the sort of guy you could have a beer with". Whether or not a candidate smiles enough or whether or not you can have a beer with them or whatever shouldn't be people's main criteria when deciding to support and vote for them. Their policy stances, and their experience or lack thereof, should be people's main concern.

One thing that i think is to Clinton's advantage now, is that the media went SO far overboard covering and constantly asking and covering Benghazi and the foundation and emails, that it feels like, it just isn't worth asking so much any more. After getting the same answer 100 times, there really is little left to say.

I think there's some truth to that, yeah. And I also think you're right that those issues probably will come up again in future debates.

Talk to me about how much easier I have it that I just get to wear a suit when it's 95 degrees out and the 6 train is delayed

this. this summer i would have killed to have the option to wear half the stuff women can in the office, meanwhile i sweated into a puddle biking home in a suit in 40+ degree weather.

[TWEET]780747025398763520[/TWEET]

I am so fucking glad I live on the west coast, which generally has a much more casual businesswear vibe. (Depends on the industry, of course.)

the least i ever paid for a suit was $250 from h&m. the return policy was 14 days so naturally on the 15th day the crotch ripped wide open.

My point is, there is context to everything. Someone saying smile can mean different things at different times. It's not universal, so to say never do it is, to me, absurd.

Talk to me about how much easier I have it that I just get to wear a suit when it's 95 degrees out and the 6 train is delayed

My point was more that people don't often look at a man and talk about their clothes first. Everyone had their own issues conforming to societal norms, believe me, I know that.

Of course context is everything. Just like one man saying "Hey sexy, looking good" to a random woman on the street comes across one way, and another man saying "What a lovely spring dress" (which actually happened to me this year) comes across another.

Although, sexism aside, telling someone they should smile more is just all-around weird. Maybe my face is just like that. Maybe I'm super sad these days. Maybe I just don't want to smile, and why should I smile just for the sake of smiling?

Does it make other people uncomfortable to see someone not smiling? Should I smile to make other people feel better? (Well, okay. I tend to smile at people I pass. I'm not going to take time to wonder if that's just the way I am or if that's the patriarchy that can go fuck itself.)

It's just a weird thing. It's okay not to smile.

Look at what this thread has become. See what happens when you tell Hillary Clinton to smile? :tsk:

Oh well. I'm sure Trump will do something appalling in the next few hours and we'll move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom