2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Left the debate thinking, if this were 2012 or any election year before it, Clinton won by a rather large margin. In this particular year, I thought she edged out a victory, and I anticipated a 1-3 point bump in the polls.

I learned my lesson about expecting the masses to judge Trump's debating style in the same way I do in the primaries, though.

2016 presidential debate snap polls show Trump beating Hillary Clinton by a landslide | Daily Mail Online

As these are online, and therefore unscientific, polls, take with a grain of salt. But they still say something, I suppose

Any poll, or sample, done anywhere says something, typically.

On the Internet, it's just harder to achieve simple random sampling. Or some other type of statistical random sampling. Because there's no real way or pseudo-way to randomly access people. Everything on the Internet tends to either have a very strong bias, or a very ineffective ability to reach a diverse audience.

Thank you, your a good egg as well (can i say that without being offensive?)

Honestly i don't know what it is you found offensive about his post. Am i missing something? He said nothing directly to the candidate, he was merely observing (imho) that the candidate does not seem to smile very much. I have observed the same - as have others in the media - hence the supposed likability problem with the candidate.

do you think it's patronizing when a man tells a woman she should smile more?

Any poll, or sample, done anywhere says something, typically.

On the Internet, it's just harder to achieve simple random sampling. Or some other type of statistical random sampling. Because there's no real way or pseudo-way to randomly access people. Everything on the Internet tends to either have a very strong bias, or a very ineffective ability to reach a diverse audience.

i wouldn't trust the daily mail with a penny, but otherwise i agree with what you're saying.

That was almost as funny as Trump's performance last night. Yep, me saying I'm bewildered that she can't come up with solid answers to questions she knows she's going to get and she does it over and over again is clearly me saying she's infallible. :huh:

Me saying that Lauer did a terrible job and was probably a factor in why Holt didn't go on a string of email questions, is just simple logic. If you don't think Holt didn't pay close attention to the Lauer criticism then you're kidding yourself. Did that help Hillary last night. Sure.

And believe it or not, sexism is a thing. It happens on quite a regular basis. If you don't think Hillary's composed demeanor last night was not in part because she knows she can't always debate in the same manner as men can and not get a negative reaction, then you're deluded.

have a happy and a healthy

Maybe you're just not very witty? Or very funny at all??

The only thing deluded here remains you. Because, much like Donald Trump, you continue to side track. You're criticizing me once again for something that clearly is not in our exchange. "Sexism, believe it or not, is a thing." History shows, you don't have very good critical analysis skills. Because, once again, nowhere in my post suggests anything sexist at all. Instead, I'm criticizing you for your simple mind. Nobody's gender came into my post. I don't need to know your gender to read your posts and acknowledge their lack of thought or misguided approach. So yeah, sexism is a thing, I'm glad we agree. What's your point? Would you like to dig up the particular posts I'm referring to? Please, do so.

And defending one post on a criticism of your bigger picture means nothing. My very criticism is of your staunch bias and failure to criticize. To an extent where your posts aren't thought out at all. They're just immediate defenses of Clinton as though you worked for her campaign.

do you think it's patronizing when a man tells a woman she should smile more?

Maybe it's where i come from, bum fuck nowhere, but i don't see an issue with it. I realize we do live in an overly PC world where the PC police are lining up waiting to jump onto any perceived "offense" they can possibly find, but no, i see nothing wrong with it. And let's be fair, the poster in question didn't tell the candidate to do anything. Most likely the poster has never spoken to the candidate. The poster simply made a suggestion that kind of goes along with the media narrative of this particular candidate being "unlikable". Hence...smile :)

People think Donald Trump is an asshole, but no one is telling him he needs to smile more to be more likable.

... bad example, because he's just such an asshole. If Romney had been perceived as being unlikable, it is unlikely people would have recommended he smile more.

One person's "PC Police" is another person's "You know what, it's 2016 and women shouldn't have to put up with this sort of bullshit anymore, and I'm not going to sit there and ignore it, or smile even though I don't want to because that's how society expects me to act."

I know his intent was not "hurr durr, you'd be so much prettier if you smiled, Hillary!" but sometimes we "PC Police" (ugh) like to point out that intent doesn't always matter.

A lot of women don't want to be told to smile, whether it's by some rando on the street, or by a condescending good-old boy in the workplace, or by someone who thinks a woman in politics will increase her likability by smiling more.

The comment was pretty innocuous, but I wanted to point out that detail with a snarky gif. I get that sometimes my gifs get a laugh, and sometimes they get a "geez, Cori." That's the way it goes. You live by the gif, you die by the gif. ;)

Last edited:
People think Donald Trump is an asshole, but no one is telling him he needs to be more likable and smile more.

... bad example, because he's just such an asshole. If Romney had been perceived as being unlikable, it is unlikely people would recommend he smile more.

One person's "PC Police" is another person's "You know what, it's 2016 and women shouldn't have to put up with this sort of bullshit anymore."

I'm sure his intent was not "hurr durr, you'd be so much prettier if you smiled, Hillary!" but sometimes we "PC Police" (ugh) like to point out that intent doesn't matter.

A lot of women don't want to be told to smile more, whether it's by some rando on the street, by a condescending good-old boy in the workplace, or by someone who thinks a woman in politics will increase her likability by smiling more.

I am a dude and i have been told my entire life to "smile more", seems i have a natural scowl or something. Oh well. I see what you are saying, however i doubt the intention of the poster in question was to offend anyone here.

Of course it wasn't. And the intent of my gif was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek wink, and not a "Well, fuck you buddy" kind of thing.

Hey, it's the internet. Intent gets lost. ;)

And also, I can't resist:

I am a dude and i have been told my entire life to "smile more", seems i have a natural scowl or something.

But ... but ... well, I'll let Joe Jackson speak for me here. ;)

Last edited:
I am a dude and i have been told my entire life to "smile more", seems i have a natural scowl or something. Oh well. I see what you are saying, however i doubt the intention of the poster in question was to offend anyone here.

It's not always about an intent to offend, it's about questioning the deeply ingrained double standards.Like wondering why we would never tell a male candidate to smile more or comment about if a man's suit is flattering or not.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I almost said something similar. More exactly, I have resting bitch face (RBS). It's a pseudo medical condition and side effects include people telling you to smile more.

My mom's mouth naturally downturns on the sides as well. Like Ringo! She doesn't have RBF though, she just looks sad. I used to ask if she was okay all the time.

At least I wasn't telling her to smile. :wink:

It's not always about an intent to offend, it's about questioning the deeply ingrained double standards.Like wondering why we would never tell a male candidate to smile more or comment about if a man's suit is flattering or not.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well, the male smiling thing is something we do talk about.

But yes, I agree, there is a double standard of the boring male attire of a black suit with a red or blue tie, versus what a woman might wear. That's not just a presidential standard though. It's ingrained in society. Few things piss me off more than how women get 3 quarters of the mall. I like to shop, too, ya know.

But we should be commenting on everyone's attire equally, I think. People (men) are probably afraid to do so. Don't want to he labeled gay or effeminate or whatever. Not that your clothing makes you presidential, but the human nature to judge is pretty normal.

I'm trying to be mindful of stuff like that. I immediately thought "Wow, that's an ugly pantsuit" last night when Hilary walked out, but I didn't post that thought anywhere, because how hypocritical would I be then? But I thought it AND I STILL THINK IT RIGHT NOW.

Being a feminist is hard, you guys. :(

Women's clothing gets judged far more harshly than men's, especially since men have it much easier when it comes to dressing nicely :shrug:

If you are told that and you don't smile, no big deal
if a woman is told that and she doesn't smile, she doesn't get dick

I'm trying to be mindful of stuff like that. I immediately thought "Wow, that's an ugly pantsuit" last night when Hilary walked out, but I didn't post that thought anywhere, because how hypocritical would I be then? But I thought it AND I STILL THINK IT RIGHT NOW.

Being a feminist is hard, you guys. :(
y r u a h8r

I'm totally a H8r, because I don't support Trump.

Anti-Trump people are H8rs, Anti-Clinton people are in a Basket of Deplorables.

It's all good. I'm gonna H8 H8 H8 H8 H8 all the way to the polls. (Or, because I live in WA, all the way to my mailbox.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom