2016 US Presidential Election Thread XIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact Check 2016: Tall Tales From the Trail - NBC News

They really should just call this "Here's Your Daily Reminder Of Why You Shouldn't Vote For Trump. Clinton Has a Few Things On This List, But Seriously. It's Pretty Much All Trump Lies All the Time."

And it's fucking depressing that in 2016 we have to say that "Yes, African Americans did actually have it worse in the past."

Some justifiably blunt snark in the article on that one: "Millions of African-Americans were enslaved as property 155 years ago. That was worse. "

I wasn't a "feminist" before this election cycle, but I'm definitely feeling a change in my viewpoints coming on.

As much as I like to have the side conversation of how reluctant I am to actually be voting for Clinton for reasons, I find it rather insulting and/or annoying when you hear people broadly making the statement that we simply have "two bad choices" or "no good choice."

It's annoying because it equates her to him, and they're not equal. They're not even close to being equal. Different ballparks.

Agreed. They're not even close to being two sides of the same coin.

if hillary is one of these

wrinkled-american-dollar-bill-10638396.jpg

trump is one of these

zimbabwe-banknotes-one-dollar-back.jpeg

I wasn't a "feminist" before this election cycle, but I'm definitely feeling a change in my viewpoints coming on.

Feminism = the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

That wasn't you before? ;)

Feminism = the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

That wasn't you before? ;)

Nope, not really. Not actively. Didn't think the situation was that bad, and really thought everyone, especially on the internet, blows some situations out of proportion. Don't necessarily believe in equal pay, because I think it opens a can of worms. You already know I have my own issues with abortion (though I'm far more moderate on the issue, at least, than I once was). Never thought it affected me all that much (outside of mentioning in here a few weeks ago that I quit pursuing a career in sports production because I was consistently being overlooked for opportunities because people assumed I couldn't do heavy lifting).

Always been outspoken on other topics having to do with women's rights, however, it's not to say I'm anti-women or something. Speaking up for victims of rape, trying to help change the culture from victim-blaming to teaching boys to respect all people regardless of gender, etc.

I also think you know what I meant when I said "feminist" specifically with quotations, since the word is so often misused.

But, in a recent job, not in production, but with a heavily male staff, I was feeling edged out of opportunities, overlooked because of an assumption of disinterest in the subject matter being covered, etc. The things going on with Hillary because of her husband and that combined have opened my eyes to a really horrible society that I was absolutely blind to until this year.

I always feel like my conscience, and identity as far as these topics go (politics, social justice, economics, etc), is in constant turmoil as I continue to change from the really sheltered person I grew up as, to the, I'd like to think, really open minded person I am now. That open mindedness has always kept me in the middle, for the most part, so maybe sometimes I come off poorly around here for having "backwards" ideals or whatever, but it is what it is. I like being in between and exploring both sides before I fully commit to an opinion. Even then, sometimes no situation has a clear definitive for me.

So, yeah, that was rambly, but I hope most of my point got across.

It did, and I'm glad you gave such a thoughtful response. I thought you had put quotes around "feminist" because you were maybe thinking "I don't want to be a feminist, that's a 'dirty' word" because so many people like to put feminists into a little box, they're all one thing or one way.

But now I know that's not what you meant. :)

I almost feel like it needs to be replaced with Women's Rights Advocate or something, because keyboard warrior SJW tumblrina's have definitely soured at least my perception of it.

Yeah, I don't like that, either. It shouldn't be, but now people seem almost wary of saying they are one.

As for your post, bono_212, whether we agree or not on an issue, I'm always happy to debate and discuss with you, because I know you're coming from a thoughtful, intelligent, respectful place with your beliefs and responses :). I think your reasoning for your stances is perfectly understandable.

Yeah it's really sad that the term has such negative connotations that women shy away from it.

I saw the Gennifer Flowers story gleefully posted by a Trump supporter. Misogyny is alive and well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

A perfect example of being able to bait Trump with a tweet. Mark Cuban tweets that he'll be front row for the debate, and Trump's "oh yeah???" reaction perfectly displays his sexism and misogyny.

Eric Trump: My father started with 'just about nothing' - CNNPolitics.com

this entire family is living in their own bizarro version of reality.

I wouldn't suggest he's deluded. I'd suggest quite the opposite (and this goes for Trump, too). He said that because he's been given a voice of authority, and if he says it, at least some will believe it. Whether or not it's true doesn't matter. Obama wasn't born in Kenya, but birtherism lives on because Donald Trump legitimized the discussion. He's been doing this all election. A wall is now on the table, as stupid as a that is. And, to be honest, ineffective for its purpose.

It's one of the true severely negative things about Trump being the candidate/potentially being president. You can have a nation that largely rejects his racism, for example, but some 30% of the country might say "hey I'm glad someone said it. Now let's all say it."

Rant rant rant this man is not stupid, he's just a selfish shithead.

Guys things would be so much different right now if we would have listened to me and nominated the rent is too damn high guy for president.

Yep! We could use him next year in NYC, definitely.

Cool. I hope Hillary brings the multiple women who have accused Trump of rape to the debate.

:lol:

Eric Trump: My father started with 'just about nothing' - CNNPolitics.com

this entire family is living in their own bizarro version of reality. zero concept of the actual value of a dollar. let's put these people in charge of the world's largest economy.

What he said was an insult to anyone who truly doesn't have much or literally had nothing before they built at least a comfortable life for themselves. But he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, so what does he know? Having been around people of elite backgrounds, I'm quite convinced they suffer from delusions and disorders thanks to their privileged upbringings. Their realities are no where near the realities of the average American, or person for that matter.

And people say Hillary is a liar..

Trump's candidacy was premised on upending a dishonest establishment that has rigged American political and economic life, so many of his loyalists are willing to overlook his lies, as long as he rankles the powerful, said Republican strategist Rob Stutzman.

"It gives him not only license, but incentive to spin fantasy, because no one expects him to tell the truth," said Stutzman, who worked against Trump during the primaries. "They believe they're getting lied to constantly, so if their hero tells lies in order to strike back, they don't care."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...andidate/ar-BBwBX1r?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartanntp

This makes me wonder what Trump supporters are angry at. Then when I realize, I can truly see that a good portion of this country is inherently racist, hate-filled, ignorant and fearful. Also, it is amazing what having a black man as president can do to race relations in this country. Some thought having Obama as president was a sign that we moved a step forward. Instead, it has stirred up a hornet's nest and I am worried about the future of our country. I see a lot of race riots, no matter who wins the election, although if Trump wins, race tensions would be a lot worse than they are now.

Last edited:
Yep. The whole "We're taking our country back!" attitude is a prime example of that kind of nonsense anger. Taking the country back from what, exactly? They never seem to be able to specify just who or what it is they feel is stealing this country away from them.

And the birther thing was perhaps THE biggest example of racist rhetoric towards Obama. That was beyond the pale in terms of insulting, disrespectful behavior. I wasn't surprised to find there'd be racist attitudes towards Obama when he took office, but it was still horrifying and depressing to see just how bad some of those comments and attitudes got. And the fact that people are supporting a man who pushed that bullshit narrative for years is truly appalling.

(And then those same people have the audacity to say Obama is the one who's fueling the racial divide. BWUH?!)

I heard Bono say on Charlie Rose that Trump isnt really a republican. After watching the primaries unfold, and listening to the absolute shite that Carson, Cruz, etc. had to say, I would say myself that yes, Trump is the very essense of the Republican party.

Palin, Christie, and many others would happily agree. These are angry, nasty motherfuckers and they are as prominent and popular as they are as a result of a large segment of the population being awful human beings. It's merely a reflection.

By policy? No, he's not, but the truth is his policy is an ever changing chameleon.

By embracing the celebration of ignorance? Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom