2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, at least today Ryan Tedder said the next U2 album will be super super accessible. Like, young people will totally buy it.

And now back to politics.

To get off of the Dem side, did it bother anyone else that the Donald basically blamed the Egypt flight going down on terrorism immediately before any facts came out?

It may turn out to be true, but his quick, yet so so tiny Twitter fingers seems like it'll eventually come back to bite him.

Or maybe not

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Clinton was quick to blame the Benghazi situation on the video. And that came back to bite her.

Neither is truly capable of being our leader in foreign policy and it's a shame this is what we're stuck with. :doh:

It's very important to remember that A LOT of the supposed bad behavior on the side of Sanders supporters is totally made up.

Sanders himself is bothering me more and more for certain aspects of his approach, but Clinton supporters (IN MY EXPERIENCE) are a hundred times worse than Sanders supporters.

To me, Sanders supporters are super excited and in a cult mentality so they'll re-post their memes or whatever else like crazy, but almost all of it is actually factual and stems from their like of what this guy stands for.

The other side has some weird hero worship over an extremely flawed candidate (and the party members that get paid to do this stuff for a living have extra incentive to strongly support her). So question Clinton's credentials on a specific issue and you're the devil incarnate. It's the equivalent of IMDB forum posters that spend their lives on some actor's message board, defending them at all costs.

And yes, the stuff they have used to target Sanders is always the most minor of things taken out of context. Like that Coates (a Sanders supporter) article complaining about Sanders not supporting major reparations for descendants of slaves (Clinton doesn't either) and then Clinton's supporters harp on it. Or the aforementioned "chair throwing" incident in Nevada that never happened. Or acting like a "Planned Parenthood endorsement" means something when it's a top-down endorsement from one person who worked alongside the Clintons in the nineties and whose daughter was currently working on Clinton's campaign staff (and all of this after Clinton jumped on the PP video bandwagon and called the videos "disturbing").

It's probably symptomatic of the fact that Sanders has such a consistent record and barely any dirt on him that even the most minor of ways to attack him have to be twisted and blown up out of proportion at any given opportunity. And when it's not that, it's the condescension towards younger voters (who are far more knowledgeable than older voters on current politics along with being better educated) or acting like Clinton can get shit done that Bernie can't as, after all, a Republican House means no significant legislation for a Democratic President. I can't believe how many times I have to repeat that last statement in this thread, but Clinton's most avid supporters in here have been absolutely delusional when it comes to that. Republicans are not suddenly going to lock arms, sing kumbaya and start actually fixing the problems this country happens to face just because she is President.

Last edited:
Yep. Didn't surprise me, mind, 'cause that's how Trump rolls, but still irritating nonetheless.

If he's wrong, people will forget about it thanks to our goldfish political mentality and if he's right he looks like a genius and it plays into his favor. It's a no-lose proposition for Trump to just spout his opinion like it's fact when these sort of events occur.

Demos firing Matt Bruenig is such bullshit. Clinton's Twitter supporters are openly just gunning for the jobs of anyone who stands up to her supporters. He called someone a "scumbag" for being hypocritical on the issue of welfare, so he needs to be fired (a week before his child is due to be born) because civility above all else! The last thing we want to do is being impolite to entrenched Democrat power players.

It's very important to remember that A LOT of the supposed bad behavior on the side of Sanders supporters is totally made up. High profile articles based on two Facebook comments, people doing shit like throwing chairs when that never happened. Every article seems to have something.

Sanders himself is bothering me more and more for certain aspects of his approach, but Clinton supporters (IN MY EXPERIENCE) are a hundred times worse than Sanders supporters. Tom Watson, Joan Walsh, Jonathan Chait, Sady Doyle ... they're doing way worse than anyone I've seen on the Sanders side.

To summarize:

[TWEET]733537895206686722[/TWEET]

My favourite is Peter Daou who threatens a lawsuit against literally anyone on Twitter for bringing up his Lebanese right-wing death squad past.

I'm sorry if my objective, non-partisan view of reality gets in the way of the Democratic bubble. Its party members have a lot of trouble seeing what the general electorate actually wants because they don't care to open up their ears. :sad:

:eyebrow:

so i guess your answer to my question is yes, you absolutely could be more condescending.

You'd think if the general public wanted Bernie so badly he woulda done a wee bit better in the open primaries.

Maybe it's a Broward County situation and they all punched the wrong chad.

I don't know. I can't tell what happened through my pants suit colored glasses. If only there was somebody steeped in reality :hmm:

Liberal groups such as Credo, Moveon.org and RootsAction have posted online petitions calling for Wasserman Schultz to resign from the DNC.

Credo was angered by an interview the DNC chair gave in January to The New York Times in which she accused young women of “complacency” about reproductive rights. The liberal group charged that she has “repeatedly failed to act in the best interests of progressives and the Democratic Party.”

To date, Credo's petition has more than 87,000 signatures, which is 13,000 short of its 100,000 signature goal.

A petition from Moveon.org to remove Wasserman Schultz, who the group says has “ulterior motives” in the race, has more than 77,000 signatures. RootsAction surpassed its goal of 35,000 signatures on a petition to remove Wasserman Schultz.

Liberal commentator Van Jones said this week on CNN that he’d prefer Reince Priebus, Republican National Committee chairman, over Wasserman Schultz after a “leadership failure” for Democrats.

“Debbie, who should be the umpire, who should be the marriage counselor, is coming in harder for Hillary Clinton than she is for herself. That is malpractice,” Jones told CNN's Brooke Baldwin Wednesday.

And Mika Brzezinski, the co-host on MSNBC's “Morning Joe,” said the DNC chair should “step down,” condemning the party’s treatment of Sanders since he entered the race.

“This has been very poorly handled from the start. It has been unfair, and they haven’t taken him seriously, and it starts, quite frankly, with the person we just heard speaking. It just does. You know that,” Brzezinski said about Wasserman Schultz.

This really is a shame

Time for the next thread, folks. Can I suggest that we move away from this BigMacPhisto vs. everyone else thing and accept that he's not changing your mind and you're not changing his?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom