2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, this week, next week is not the time for realistic speculation. A lot of people will be sitting back and watching. They will be wanting to see if the Donald can dial it back, appear more presidential and get his approval numbers up and disapproval down a bit. A move of a few points in the right direction will encourage a lot of people, because once he starts to move, get out of the way!

This is the cut and paste I see cropping all over Facebook, there will be no unifying behind Trump. If the "establishment" get behind him they know they've lost the party and the "principled" can't stand him. In order to flip states you need high turn out, these people will write in, scramble for a 3rd party ticket, or more than likely stay home.

So that's your opinion, and it must be a fact because your facebook backs it up.
Forget, that Trump has won evangelical Christians over Cruz in most of the primaries, even the bible belt, that's my opinion based on good sourcing of reading credible newspapers and multiple news reporting agencies,
That sounds like a Glenn Beck posting, and you recently said you respect him,
but based on his record with his big Indiana push, I don't think he is a reliable source for sound opinions.

So that's your opinion, and it must be a fact because your facebook backs it up.

Forget, that Trump has won evangelical Christians over Cruz in most of the primaries, even the bible belt, that's my opinion based on good sourcing of reading credible newspapers and multiple news reporting agencies,

That sounds like a Glenn Beck posting, and you recently said you respect him,

but based on his record with his big Indiana push, I don't think he is a reliable source for sound opinions.

It's my speculation based on this and a lot of other anecdotal evidence.

I guess I could just speculate without any examples of why :shrug:
if one asked a Clinton supporter if they could find them voting for Sanders in Nov, many will say no, because that would mean he destroyed her and put her away when they feel passionately about her.

And no, I said I respect one of his stances. But you're really getting this Trump thing down, even dumbing down your reading comprehension skills. :up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Look we are all entitled to our opinions in here, as I have said before,
you like many of us, have been posting in here for some time. I know the road you go down to reach your opinions, no big deal.

But the other day, you seemed to post that others did not have the right to
post their opinions unless you found it credible based on sources you would accept.

I don't care that your opinions are not always credible, they're just your opinion, any reasonable person would move away from an opinion if they got better credible information instead of doubling down, but to each their own.

Newt and I love women. We're the best at women. Between the two of us; we've had 6 of the best marriages any president has ever had.

I can see it now.
Big ad with Trump and Newt surrounded by women. With Trump saying "look, women cherish us, believe me. Women cherish us so much that we have to keep getting new wives. We get the best wives."

I actually can't gripe too much about Newt's moon talk. There are so many dangers/issues facing humanity, and while he was laughed at for building a colony off of Earth....it really should be a serious option.

But I'm not sure I want to go down that discussion :)

This is going to be a fascinating election. So much to learn/study from

Look we are all entitled to our opinions in here, as I have said before,

you like many of us, have been posting in here for some time. I know the road you go down to reach your opinions, no big deal.

But the other day, you seemed to post that others did not have the right to

post their opinions unless you found it credible based on sources you would accept.

I don't care that your opinions are not always credible, they're just your opinion, any reasonable person would move away from an opinion if they got better credible information instead of doubling down, but to each their own.

Yeah, I guess I was assuming people understood the difference between speculation and holding an opinion on an issue or candidate. But I guess it's true what they say about assumptions.

I'm not sure what you think I doubled down on. But defending Trump and lecturing someone on doubling down; that's comic gold :lol:

:bow:

And the country along with it.

You forgot to add that the likes of Hitler and Mussolini used those mediums as well, along with fear. History lessons are better used when they are absorbed in full.

the shoe fits

of course if we really wanted to the the truth about who introduced and advanced twitter to Presidential politics, that would be Obama

this discussion began about whether or not Trump gets evangelical support and will get it
and if one has an opinion on that, if it is based on well sourced information

you had one opinion and I had another, based on the multiple sourced information I provided for you, which I believe is credible information, is your opinion still the same?

Last edited:

Or it could be that "evangelicals" never really voted on the basis of righteousness/morality/godliness.

The just used such terms to dress up rank bigotry, and Trump now speaks this truth to power.

Just think, if we had elected Newt back in 2012 we'd be that much closer to a colony on the moon.

As someone who works and studies in space exploration, do you know how much it irritates me that that became a joke?

He didn't exactly effectively communicate the idea, but it's one that shows Newt isn't basic (at the very least).

the country, like most times, is divided about 50/50
my friends on the right, some think Obama is pure evil, but things are actually going pretty well, I'm on track to have a huge IRS tax bill for 2016, because of all the dough I am making
my friends on the left are imaging Trump will roll back the clock to the 50s or even the 90s, I just don't see that happening. Trump is not anti-gay at all, the least anti-gay GOP candidate I can think of. Trump is not anti-minority at all.
W was the worst President in my lifetime, Cruz, I think would have been bad.
I think the reason the left is so anti-Trump is because they know he can beat 2016 Hillary and they thought they had it in the bag. If Cruz got the nomination, I think the left would not be as hysterical.

this discussion began about whether or not Trump gets evangelical support and will get it
and if one has an opinion on that, if it is based on well sourced information

you had one opinion and I had another, based on the multiple sourced information I provided for you, which I believe is credible information, is your opinion still the same?

Actually deep, no it didn't. You saw a post of mine, saw some religious based context and then took a large leap.

If you go back a few threads ago I went into detail about this election is proving how it was never really about what they claimed; the evangelicals and the Tea Party because Trump doesn't align with either.

My point is that he wasn't going to unite the party. There are too many factors from within the party itself that is anti-trump, and I was showing that post to show one organized movement. The Cruzes, the Becks, the establishment, these are all sections of the party that were givens(and we already know they aren't coming over willingly) in 2008 and 12, and they aren't given this time around. I didn't say one damn thing about him not getting the evangelical vote.

So now we could be arguing about degrees
When is a party united? Citing Glenn Beck is almost silly, most don't consider him Christian, and I know quite a few Mormons and that think he is an embarrassment.

The GOP Convention will tell a lot. I don't think there will be a push for a national conservative 3rd party candidate. Did Gore lose in 2000 because the Dems were not united.

Quite a few of the nevertrump people are quiet today and I think as time goes on most will line up behind Trump. If this does not happen I will have no problem saying my speculation was wrong. If I had to handicap the election today. I expect Trump in the high 40s, say 47% range and Hillary at around 51, that could give her a 300-320 electoral college win, 2-3 states at most.

She wont do as well as Obama did in 2008.

I think people automatically rush to judgment that Evangelicals want a "Pastor in Chief"

Some on the fringe do. But this cycle they are looking for security and world leadership.

Early on during the debates Trump would reference "Medieval Times" with ISIS chopping off the heads of Christians. Statements such as these went a long way in endearing him to Evangelical voters.

Speaking of Beck and LDS: Romney lost a chunk of Evangelicals who view Mormonism as a Cult. I don't think the GOP establishment was in touch with their base on that one.

Trump may have just dusted off his old Bible for convenience. Much better than owning a Book of Mormon.

Trump is not anti-minority at all.

Might want to talk to some Mexicans about this one...

I think the reason the left is so anti-Trump is because they know he can beat 2016 Hillary and they thought they had it in the bag.

Are you delusional? The running joke is that Trump will crash and burn worse than almost anybody else the Republicans could nominate.

The left is so anti-Trump because he is a genuinely abhorrent human being who will burn America's global reputation to the ground. You guys already were the laughingstock of the world under Dubya. That, now, appears to have just been the warmup act.

Enjoy being completely reviled and then completely irrelevant if you elect this Fuckwit-in-Chief.

Citing Glenn Beck is almost silly, most don't consider him Christian

Once again, I never said anything about Beck and his faith, you're too hung up on the evangelical thing.

I was talking about the different groups that make up the party. I was using Beck as an example of someone who considers himself a purist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom