2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brutal, it's $2,100 here per month (I'm still on mat leave but that's what it would be for a 12 month old when I go back). I don't even know if that's doable, not in terms of $ but pick ups/drop offs, our schedules are so erratic I may end up forced into a nanny situation. I've priced that out, if you're doing it above board (i.e. declaring everything, paying into her EI, etc) it's about $40-45K/year for a non-live in.

It's so utterly ridiculous. It's a big reason why we'll probably end up moving in the next year. We want to have a second kid and it's just not feasible financially staying in New York City unless one of us sees a significant increase in pay. We've already started looking for jobs elsewhere.

If we had to send him to daycare 5 days a week it would cost 3k a month.

It's so utterly ridiculous. It's a big reason why we'll probably end up moving in the next year. We want to have a second kid and it's just not feasible financially staying in New York City unless one of us sees a significant increase in pay. We've already started looking for jobs elsewhere.

Yes, but deep says these are rich people problems...

We would also like to have a 2nd, and have already decided I'll stay home for a few years if/when that happens. It's senseless to me to kill myself at work and have so much of the pay go into daycare.

rich people problems

Oh cut the shit.

Look, I know how ridiculous it sounds when people making what seems like a lot of money complain about cost or living. I find it ridiculous that my wife and I make double what my own parents made and can't afford a decent two bed room apartment.

We're comfortable. No question. We go on a couple of vacations a year, put a good amount away for retirement and college savings, and don't have to worry about living paycheck to paycheck. And I damn sure known that there are tons of people who would love to be in that position. I was one of those people not that long ago. We've worked out asses off to get to this point. But we're not very far removed from a much different economic reality, and can be back in that reality quite quickly if things go south.

When we look at these costs, plus the $25k people tell us you need for adoption, or the $125k you'd need for surrogacy, we seem to be accepting our fate as the super cool uncles and that's it.

You could be living and working back home to help your parents in retirement instead of putting more debt on them. Just a thought

You could be living and working back home to help your parents in retirement instead of putting more debt on them. Just a thought

So, like, selling your car to cut the insurance costs for your parents and getting a loan to pay for your own college?

Oh, right. #deepthought

do not have a life

never get married

you owe everything to your parents

you ungrateful fuck

help them

what is the matter with you

sacrifice everything

nothing is ever good enough

[/deep]

What's Diamond up to these days? I thought the schtick here used to be, supposedly, that Deep was the left-leaning sibling. Although, no, fair's fair, not too much of Deep's posts could be taken as absolutely hostile to left ideals, on the face of it. So fair enough. What a Cassandra complex though.

There are dozens of women out there who are doctors and lawyers today because of deep's generosity.

Meanwhile, the vast sections of the northern Great Barrier Reef are dying because Iron Horse posts articles filled with bad science.

The power we have in FYM is astounding.

When we look at these costs, plus the $25k people tell us you need for adoption, or the $125k you'd need for surrogacy, we seem to be accepting our fate as the super cool uncles and that's it.

I know a gay couple (my husband was a groomsman in their wedding back in the day), Americans who live in Canada now who spent $200K on surrogacy/IVF to have their son. They did it in the US as you can't pay surrogates or egg donors in Canada, aside from covering reasonable expenditures.

As a 23-year-old just hitting the professional world, I must admit that the DINK lifestyle doesn't sound half bad nowadays.

As a 23-year-old just hitting the professional world, I must admit that the DINK lifestyle doesn't sound half bad nowadays.

Hell, the SINK lifestyle is treating me pretty well right now - which I type while on an overseas holiday.

I have a hard time relating to these fears of cost of living when I enjoy holidays like this, have good savings, and live in one of Melbourne's trendiest inner suburbs. My one big fear is my work coming to an end. Then I'm fucked. But until then, sure, I'll pay my share to ensure I live in a good society with adequate healthcare, education, utilities, etc.

Back
Top Bottom