2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VII - Page 55 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #811
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
It's not the closed primary, it's the primary registration deadline being 6+ months ahead of the primary.
Yep. I think everyone can agree that 6+ months is unnecessary.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #812
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:04 PM
Quote:
It's not the closed primary, it's the primary registration deadline being 6+ months ahead of the primary.
I think this is also the reason given by Trump to explain why his children can't actually vote for him.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #813
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think this is also the reason given by Trump to explain why his children can't actually vote for him.
I was actually shocked that Trump got registered as a Republican early enough.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #814
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

just wanted to post this quite long, detailed post i ran across today. I've been vocal that I used to be a Bernie supporter for some time, but now support Hillary.

This is a very all encompassing look at the many reasons I got fed up with Bernie along the way.

I obviously will support Bernie if he is the nom. But this lays out very well why now I am quite annoyed with him.

enjoy.

https://medium.com/@robinalperstein/...699#.ixpkcz6an
Old 04-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #815
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I'd say while the 6 month deadline is absolutely absurd, closed primaries aren't necessarily right either.

In a multiparty system? Sure. Closed primaries make sense. In a two party system, it just insists upon "picking a side." It encourages a two party system to thrive. Primaries should be semi-open to independents.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #816
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
just wanted to post this quite long, detailed post i ran across today. I've been vocal that I used to be a Bernie supporter for some time, but now support Hillary.

This is a very all encompassing look at the many reasons I got fed up with Bernie along the way.

I obviously will support Bernie if he is the nom. But this lays out very well why now I am quite annoyed with him.

enjoy.

https://medium.com/@robinalperstein/...699#.ixpkcz6an
Wow. Long but really good read.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #817
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I've been vocal that I used to be a Bernie supporter for some time, but now support Hillary.

Really?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #818
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Wow. Long but really good read.
Yes. Honestly, I've been coming to this conclusion as well (as have others in this forum).

I do think Bernie cares about these issues, but I also am starting to see that Bernie is just in this for Bernie. His lack of details puts him on par with Trump, and his false dichotomy style of argument (You agree with him, or you're establishment) is hurting the Dem party more than anything.

His credit should be bringing these issues into the mainstream (more), but as a candidate, he's as un-qualified as any I have seen, including Trump.

His plans to fund his ideas are make believe (5% increase in economic growth is ludicrous), his complete lack of support for the party he joined (biting the hand that feeds you) is disgusting, are just a few of the many reasons he'd be a complete disaster on the national level.

In no way is this saying Hillary is the bestest thing in the world. I just see more being accomplished under her than Bernie. It's almost as important to see more Dems take back the senate/house, than electing POTUS....considering Bernie has raised about 10k for THREE other D's, where Hillary has raised 20 million for those seats....which one will have more success passing more progressive policies?

and lastly, Bernie will not compromise. I think someone as evil as FuckTedCruz would bend in any bill.

Anyway, what a mess. Depressing all around.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #819
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Interesting read, but it has some inaccurate statements like "The overwhelming majority of the money Clinton received from her paid speeches went to charity."

The charity (when applicable) was the Clinton Foundation.

Politifact states:
In May, the New York Times published Clinton’s 2015 financial disclosure form. Covering a period from January 2014 to March 2015, Clinton lists a total of 51 speech fees that have been added to her personal account from a variety of companies. Not including her husband’s fees which also appear on the same disclosure, Clinton’s speech fees end up totaling more than $11 million.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...tons-speaking/
Old 04-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #820
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm sure that article has some spin to it, but I just don't care about Hillary's speeches.

It was nothing illegal, and nothing any other person of power has done before.

The problem I have is the assumption that because someone received $, that they are now bought and paid for by that entity. That Hillary will do Wall St's bidding and evil deeds.

I just don't see it being so black and white. Will some favors be returned, yes. Can we prove any of it? Most likely not.

It's the game, and it's easy to be on the outside screaming in when you refuse to do anything about it. There's a reason every president looks like they've aged 80 years after taking office....it's not a simple job, and idealogy tends to go out the window when you actually have to GOVERN
Old 04-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #821
Blue Crack Distributor

I wanted to vote for Hillary but I'm not registered as a Democrat, and New York primaries haven't mattered in a long time.

So while I'm sure a lot of those who want to vote for Bernie are closed out, it's not as if there aren't also those who want to vote the other way who can't vote because of this idiotic time limit.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #822
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I'm sure that article has some spin to it, but I just don't care about Hillary's speeches.

It was nothing illegal, and nothing any other person of power has done before.

The problem I have is the assumption that because someone received $, that they are now bought and paid for by that entity. That Hillary will do Wall St's bidding and evil deeds.

I just don't see it being so black and white. Will some favors be returned, yes. Can we prove any of it? Most likely not.

It's the game, and it's easy to be on the outside screaming in when you refuse to do anything about it. There's a reason every president looks like they've aged 80 years after taking office....it's not a simple job, and idealogy tends to go out the window when you actually have to GOVERN
We all know Bernie is in the pocket of Big Ice Cream.

Show us the Ben and Jerry's speeches!
Old 04-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #823
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

Obama disagrees with you here.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #824
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I'd say while the 6 month deadline is absolutely absurd, closed primaries aren't necessarily right either.

In a multiparty system? Sure. Closed primaries make sense. In a two party system, it just insists upon "picking a side." It encourages a two party system to thrive. Primaries should be semi-open to independents.

If you don't bother to sign up for the club, you can't vote for the club's treasurer. What's stopping everyone going independent and voting to place the weaker candidate for the other side?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 04-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #825
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Obama disagrees with you here.
Obama promised the most transparent presidency ever, and maybe he delivered on that promise, it really wasn't that way.

It's like the primary process, candidates will cater towards the extremes of their party, but if/when they get the nomination, they better gravitate back towards the center to get elected.

No different than making it into the office. You can have all the promises to change the world, but you'll soon find out it's more complex and you won't be able to push your view through 100%, maybe not even 50/50