2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VII - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 12:44 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:35 AM
wait you guys make that much money? oh man.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:54 AM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
And, yeah, my taxes are still going up by a lot.
At least Bernie's tax plan is realistic in the sense that it admits that you have to dig into the upper middle class to fund significant social program increases.

It's an interesting dynamic. I think a lot of people in America are used to thinking that we can raise taxes on the billionaires and everything will be okay. But when you start to tax the upper middle class more, you start hitting a sizable constituency that doesn't feel like it has a bunch of disposable income to give to the government. Sure, there's never a worry about where the next meal will come from for this group. But when housing costs are psychotically high in the cities that tend of offer stable, upper middle class jobs (boy, it's nice living in Texas), when you have private school tuition and/or insane property taxes to best position your kids to also be upper middle class, when you have daycare, when you have a six-figure load of student debt from the professional degree that made you upper middle class, when you have kids who have to do mounds of expensive extracurriculars because that's what every other kid does and that's how you get into college, and perhaps when you're doing a bit of keeping up with the Joneses, it doesn't feel like there's a bunch of money left to give to the government. And this is a constituency much more sizable than that of the billionaires, and I think Sanders could really struggle with it in November.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:57 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yeah Bernie said that top 1% wont be the only people who gets tax raised from pretty early on.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
At least Bernie's tax plan is realistic in the sense that it admits that you have to dig into the upper middle class to fund significant social program increases.

It's an interesting dynamic. I think a lot of people in America are used to thinking that we can raise taxes on the billionaires and everything will be okay. But when you start to tax the upper middle class more, you start hitting a sizable constituency that doesn't feel like it has a bunch of disposable income to give to the government. Sure, there's never a worry about where the next meal will come from for this group. But when housing costs are psychotically high in the cities that tend of offer stable, upper middle class jobs (boy, it's nice living in Texas), when you have private school tuition and/or insane property taxes to best position your kids to also be upper middle class, when you have daycare, when you have a six-figure load of student debt from the professional degree that made you upper middle class, when you have kids who have to do mounds of expensive extracurriculars because that's what every other kid does and that's how you get into college, and perhaps when you're doing a bit of keeping up with the Joneses, it doesn't feel like there's a bunch of money left to give to the government. And this is a constituency much more sizable than that of the billionaires, and I think Sanders could really struggle with it in November.

Very well stated.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:35 AM
If we would stop running colleges and insurance as a "for profit" scheme, things might improve.

I always thought we could take the billions of $$$ the NCAA makes and use that towards making education more affordable. Since you know, it's not about athletics, it's about the student first.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 03-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

I always thought we could take the billions of $$$ the NCAA makes and use that towards making education more affordable. Since you know, it's not about athletics, it's about the student first.

My school actually makes a tidy profit off of athletics, much of which makes it back to academics. The best professor I've ever had, for instance, is paid for by an endowment sourced directly back to athletics.

But this is pretty rare among universities, and it has gotten its own share of criticism. See: "the new plantation system".

Old 03-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor

Here's another way to make college more affordable... Stop making it a necessity. Encourage trade schools and apprenticeships out of high school. Convert certain majors into two year programs instead of four.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #68
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Here's another way to make college more affordable... Stop making it a necessity. Encourage trade schools and apprenticeships out of high school. Convert certain majors into two year programs instead of four.

I agree. There are so many majors that can remove so much bloat.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Old 03-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
compromise, that's nothing new to you.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

It's hilarious and terrible at the same time. She demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of why people are supporting Sanders while also doing a thoroughly terrible job of simply campaigning for the presidency. I'm still going to end up checking a box next to her name in November, but my patience for the pundits ripping Sanders supporters thins by the hour.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've heard that even during Clinton's presidency, nobody in the white house (at least Bill himself) never used computers, despite the fact that they were becoming more popular at that time (i remember my dad had one of those crappy windows laptops for work in the late 90s). so i am not surprised someone like Hillary or even their staff doing terrible job at campaigning using SNS.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think this a slip up of technology where some intern got hold of the Twitter account and said something they shouldn't have. She's run a truly terrible campaign from the jump, which is why someone like Sanders even has a prayer. The availability of technology isn't the problem. It's Clinton and the people she surrounds herself with.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sorry, but I still can't get over the accusation that having an issue with income inequality is a sign of privilege. It's quite literally the opposite. And she wonders why a lot of people on the left are so disenchanted. We're not demanding ideological purity. Some motherfucking perspective would be a start.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

btw this is Bernie's tweet: https://twitter.com/SenSanders/statu...44223239438338