2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VII - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I had to take this and extrapolate a little bit, but it's probably ballpark accurate.

How the candidates' tax plans will affect you, in 4 charts - Vox
I actually just threw up in my mouth a little when I calculated how much more per month we would have to pay in a Sanders administration (assuming he gets things passed, of course).

I mean... this kind of taxation would have huge ramifications on how we live. We would be forced to move, for one. You think income inequality in major cities is bad now... Sanders plan would make them worse. Major cities like NYC, DC, SF, Boston, etc would be either wealthy or poor. The in between that's already being squeezed would have no choice but to look elsewhere.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I agree with Irvine. The Bernie Bros seem to be more about the ideas than the execution. I am all for his ideas and have been for some time....but the thought of an additional 25k in taxes a year......maybe we start a lil smaller on his ideas. Free isn't really free. Id rather work towards better healthcare than free college.
The appeal of Sanders is that it feels like he's the only one of the four who understands that income inequality is the real issue, that it's the cause for many of the other issues that plague this country. Yes, Obama did a lot to fix the mistakes of the previous administration. But people in their 20s are still struggling financially under the weight of the economy the previous generation fucked up.

I'll use myself as an example. I'm in pretty good financial shape for someone aged 25. I make enough money to have moved out of my parents' home, albeit with a couple of roommates. But I don't really save any money, I don't have my own health insurance and if I turned 26 today I would have to get an ACA health plan. Beyond saving very little money in general, I have saved nothing for retirement, as I do not have a 401k or any benefits at my current job. I haven't been to a dentist or orthodontist in five or six years. And then I have my parents bitching at me about all of that, as if it's my fault that there aren't a ton of opportunities out there.

So there is comfort in the idea that someone is actually saying what we all know to be true. There is a feeling amongst my generation (and I'd venture to say it's pretty accurate) that while the boomers pay lip service to inequality, that many of them haven't had to live the consequences. My parents went to a state school just like me, and had no debt and each found gainful employment within six months of graduation. That's not how the world works anymore, but I have to hear all the time about how woefully unprepared I am for my future.

Bernie's plans aren't particularly practical. I'm pretty comfortable in acknowledging that. But it doesn't make me feel anymore comfortable with the idea of Clinton, who is further right than Obama, who isn't particularly left wing in the first place. I worry about her interest in income inequality and labor issues. I question her foreign policy (as well as Obama's).

There is very little to like in this election.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I actually just threw up in my mouth a little when I calculated how much more per month we would have to pay in a Sanders administration (assuming he gets things passed, of course).

I mean... this kind of taxation would have huge ramifications on how we live. We would be forced to move, for one. You think income inequality in major cities is bad now... Sanders plan would make them worse. Major cities like NYC, DC, SF, Boston, etc would be either wealthy or poor. The in between that's already being squeezed would have no choice but to look elsewhere.

so, the argument might be that what you now pay for in health care you wouldn't because you'd be covered by national health insurance, and your kids would go to college (state college) for free. also, by having such things taken care of, perhaps you'd take more career risks? start a business? perhaps others would do the same and we'd see a greater entrepreneurial culture?

but, still. it's hard (for me at least) to figure out how my life would change with taxes so much higher. i'm sure there would be benefits, but it's difficult to see beyond having so much less in my bank account. i'd like to be open minded about it.

i'm still smarting from having to pay more in taxes because i got married.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

In other news, Trump's campaign manager Corey Lewandowski has been arrested for battery and is going to be defended by Kendall Coffey, who had to resign from the US Attorney's office for biting a stripper.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
In other news, Trump's campaign manager Corey Lewandowski has been arrested for battery and is going to be defended by Kendall Coffey, who had to resign from the US Attorney's office for biting a stripper.

Vince from ShamWow?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post

Poor Onion, what WILL they do?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Poor Onion, what WILL they do?

Advisors Tell Trump, Cruz To Stick To Just Attacking All Women In General - The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 03-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
so, the argument might be that what you now pay for in health care you wouldn't because you'd be covered by national health insurance, and your kids would go to college (state college) for free. also, by having such things taken care of, perhaps you'd take more career risks? start a business? perhaps others would do the same and we'd see a greater entrepreneurial culture?
Based on how much I have deducted from my paycheck for my Romneycare/Obamacare plan that has seen about a 120% premium increase since the inception of Romneycare here in MA, I think I might enjoy feeling the Bern. The tax increase on me would be significantly less than the offset of actual free health insurance (it would never pass even if Bernie got in, but its a nice dream for him). Couple it with free tuition for my kid in 6 years time and I may just plop a Sanders sign on the lawn. (OK not really)

Quote:
A wise man once said "be careful what you wish for"...pretty sure that man worked for the IRS.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Just think if we reallocated funds for our military budget towards social programs????
Old 03-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Just think if we reallocated funds for our military budget towards social programs????

Imagine just like 10% of our military fund doing so 😂
Old 03-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Imagine just like 10% of our military fund doing so 😂

Imagine - John Lennon

Old 03-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Vox tax numbers may be a bit off:

Why Vox’s Numbers for Bernie Sanders’s Tax Plans Are So Wrong – The Datatitian
Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

but, still. it's hard (for me at least) to figure out how my life would change with taxes so much higher. i'm sure there would be benefits, but it's difficult to see beyond having so much less in my bank account. i'd like to be open minded about it.

And if you work for, or your spouse works for, a company with great at benefits... you're completely fucked.

I'd love to be open minded about it as well, but frankly... fuck college. We put too much emphasis on the current college structure and how everyone needs to go to get ahead. The entire system needs to change. A bigger emphasis on trade schools and on the job training needs to happen, among other things.

My more immediate concern is the idea that I'm paying more for daycare for a 16 month old than 2 students at state college combined.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post

Sure hope so.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:37 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

And, yeah, my taxes are still going up by a lot.