2016 US Presidential Election Thread - VII - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #376
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Trump Catches Self Briefly Believing Own Campaign Rhetoric - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

well this is what Onion can do in this irony-filled campaign.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #377
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post

However, the big difference between Sanders and Obama is that the "revolution" doesn't end with Sanders being given the Presidency as it did with Obama.
How in the world do you know this?

Old 04-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #378
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:34 PM
The most annoying supporters amongst my friends are Bernie supporters. It's not like all Bernie supporters are insufferable it's the very, very vocal minority. I'll still take that over Trump supporters any day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 04-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #379
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
The superdelegate lead is not irrelevant. Not at all. When Clinton has enough delegates combined of pledged and unpledged delegates to secure the nomination, assuming this isn't very near the convention, she's going to declare victory if she has a pledged delegate lead.

Sanders very much so is in a race to tie up the pledged delegates if he wants the superdelegates to be irrelevant. They have absolutely zero obligation to change sides if they're on the side of the majority.
I completely agree with your second paragraph. Entirely. They will not convince anybody to flip if he isn't the pledged delegate leader.

As for your first point, I'm in agreement as well. Clinton will declare victory once she reaches the magic number of overall delegates. It's an outright untruth to say the least and she'll probably get some flack for it...even funnier, it may actually make her supporters less likely to bother to vote in the remaining primary states, making it even easier for Sanders to get to the pledged delegate mark if he's anywhere close. Regardless, Clinton declaring herself the nominee before she reaches an unquestionable pledged delegate majority will reek of pure desperation. If she's actually sitting comfortable after the results come in from states like New York and Pennsylvania, I think she'll be humble until the convention.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #380
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
how in the world would I believe anyone?
Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #381
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Because I feel that Sanders supporters are far, far more politically motivated than those of Obama. See the record breaking rallies, fundraising, showing up on the weekend to flip caucus states that have already voted, etc. He has clearly brought out a level of dedication that hasn't really been seen before in American politics...even if it does just all wash away after the election and people just pat themselves on the backs and go home, he's still going to have far more people willing to march for his causes than any previous President.

Obama's own team feels they believe they made a huge mistake in not making it clear that it isn't just about one election day every four years. The only thing close to a progressive movement was Occupy and that was unsanctioned and a clusterfuck, really (although it did lead to the establishment of plenty of strong politically leftist groups since then).
Old 04-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #382
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
IAnd that's the big difference in a general election as Sanders would get people on the far-left, populist independents, etc. Hillary draws nobody new into the fold.
But Sanders loses people at the same time, there will be a lot of Dems that just stay home, so it really becomes a wash. The far-left is a pretty small portion of our voting population.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #383
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Because I feel that Sanders supporters are far, far more politically motivated than those of Obama. See the record breaking rallies, fundraising, showing up on the weekend to flip caucus states that have already voted, etc. He has clearly brought out a level of dedication that hasn't really been seen before in American politics...even if it does just all wash away after the election and people just pat themselves on the backs and go home, he's still going to have far more people willing to march for his causes than any previous President.

Obama's own team feels they believe they made a huge mistake in not making it clear that it isn't just about one election day every four years. The only thing close to a progressive movement was Occupy and that was unsanctioned and a clusterfuck, really (although it did lead to the establishment of plenty of strong politically leftist groups since then).
I think you're giving Sanders a bit too much credit and not giving clearly enough credit to the "revolution" that Obama created in 2008.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #384
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, Hilary doesn't draw excitement because she is basically the safe candidate, so it's easy for people to get excited by someone who yells "establishment! estabishment!" And I'm not surprised he's popular with Millennials since all he does is complain.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #385
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What revolution did Obama have? He entered with a bare Senate majority where Republicans used every trick in the books to delay progress and it only got worse from there.

Where were the rallies and marches in support of the ACA? Where were the people lining up in streets for a minimum wage increase?

There was nothing. No mobilizing of voters. No local political groups to help shape public sentiment. Nothing. Hell, even in a lot of states, Democratic voters often checked the Obama box and then hung out the Democrats down ballot to dry. This is clearly evident in the nationwide House results which were always millions of votes worse for the Democrats. If he couldn't even get people to bother to fill out their ballots completely, what did you expect to happen?
Old 04-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #386
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Yeah, Hilary doesn't draw excitement because she is basically the safe candidate, so it's easy for people to get excited by someone who yells "establishment! estabishment!" And I'm not surprised he's popular with Millennials since all he does is complain.
She's the safe candidate because she takes every stance on every issue. Not to mention changes her accent depending on her location.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #387
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
What revolution did Obama have?
Well, he won his party's nomination, which is looking pretty unlikely for Sanders.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #388
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So there was a Mitt Romney revolution as well? How exciting!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #389
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And this pretty much says it all:

Old 04-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #390
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Well, he won his party's nomination, which is looking pretty unlikely for Sanders.
I'm cautiously optimistic for him but yeah numbers aren't too great, i got to admit. too bad he wasn't black like Obama , which helped him win the votes in South.